Recalled/Assigned: Russian savior 2.0

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I really don't see the hand-wringing over Barbashev getting limited minutes in a 4th line role. Seems very appropriate for a guy getting his feet wet. If he's up here for 5 weeks, he'll have plenty of chance to practice with line-mates and ease into a top 9 role, assuming he shows he can handle it. Brodziak is a tough loss, but its also an opportunity for Barbashev.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I've seen a few comments hoping he isn't stuck on the 4th line, but I think that might be the best place for him. Our 4th line has been outplaying our 3rd line recently and the ice time has reflected that. Upshall was 4th in TOI among forwards against the Pens. I realize a lot of that is special teams and stealing some of Yak's shifts, but Reaves got 11 minutes. They are rolling those guys about as much as the 3rd line at 5 on 5. I haven't scoured the any advanced stats, but the eye test tells me that for the last week or two, the 3rd line has been more of a shutdown unit than the 4th line and Hitch is asking the 4th line to contribute offensively.

Our 4th line has transitioned away from simply being an energy line. I'm not sure what they settle into long term, but it is crystal clear that the staff wants them to be an offensive line more than a defensive line. I'd rather see Barbs with them than with some combo of Lehtera/Yak/Jaskin and Perron. Sticking him with those guys means you are asking him to do a ton defensively. Berglund is better in that role and putting Bergie or Lehtera on the 4th line hurts the speed of that line more than Barbs should.

I think Barbs is a better fit for our current 4th line than any other healthy center on our roster and I think he has a greater chance of offensive success on that line than he does on the 3rd line. That is where I want him in the lineup, I just hope that Hitch continues rolling that line at 5 on 5. I'll be disappointed if he dials back the 4th lines ice time tonight.s

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Happy for Barbs. Sucks for Brodz. I'm going to assume broken foot for him. Anyone recall a play from the Pitt game where he could've injured his foot?

It makes sense to start Barbs on the 4th line. He's going to get sheltered minutes and get his feet wet.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The 4th line is a great starting spot. They are very consistent in the way they play and it will make sure Barbashev does the little things correctly and eases him in. It was great for Schwartz to start with. And if after a few weeks, hopefully Barbashev proves himself to get a try in the top 9. Maybe he even stays once Brodziak returns.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Starting on the 4th line is fine for Barbashev. I think it'll get him more involved in the game if he's throwing hits and grinding it out as opposed to trying to force offensive plays.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I like the call up. Was Kind of surprised it wasn't Megan considering the length of Brodz's injury. But this does give Ivan a solid chance to see where he is at. Best of luck to him. Hope he can fight to get in front of the net. Ohh how I miss having a player that will actually do it.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I didn't mention this in my other post, but I do want to say that I am extremely excited. He is my 2nd favorite prospect in the organization (behind Husso) and I think he has the chance to become a legitimate 2nd line/1st line tweener in the NHL. I think it is easy to forget that he still has a lot of time for development. The kid just turned 21 six weeks ago and is having a great AHL season. He is 4th in goals and 9th in points.

Lately, I feel like he has been overlooked by our fan base. Hardly anyone mentions him as a guy who could solve the hole at top 6 center and instead talks about Thompson and Kyrou. While I don't think Barbs is ready to be a legit top 6 center right now, he is 2 years closer than Thompson or Kyrou and his AHL production this year suggests that he is just as likely to hit his ceiling than those guys.

This is officially the most excited I have been for an indoor Blues game since the opener. My expectations are probably too high, but I am so ready to watch this kid play in the NHL.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I like the call up. Was Kind of surprised it wasn't Megan considering the length of Brodz's injury. But this does give Ivan a solid chance to see where he is at. Best of luck to him. Hope he can fight to get in front of the net. Ohh how I miss having a player that will actually do it.

Barbashev and Megan have nearly identical stat lines (20g-17a in 42 GP vs 19g-18a in 44 GP) and Barbashev is 5 and a half years younger. I think it makes sense to reward Barbs for stepping up his game and it makes sense to give him an extended look to see if he can be expected to contribute in the top 9 next season. Our cap flexibility next season improves a ton if we can rely on him to be an adequate 3rd line center next year. Might as well see what he can do now.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I wouldn't mind seeing both a limited role for Barbashev (49) on the 4th and see if he has some chemistry with Jaskin. Assuming 50 ES minutes tonight

17-21-91 (16 min)
15-26-20 (16 min)
10-12-57 (10 min)
23-49-75 (8 min)

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I didn't mention this in my other post, but I do want to say that I am extremely excited. He is my 2nd favorite prospect in the organization (behind Husso) and I think he has the chance to become a legitimate 2nd line/1st line tweener in the NHL. I think it is easy to forget that he still has a lot of time for development. The kid just turned 21 six weeks ago and is having a great AHL season. He is 4th in goals and 9th in points.

Lately, I feel like he has been overlooked by our fan base. Hardly anyone mentions him as a guy who could solve the hole at top 6 center and instead talks about Thompson and Kyrou. While I don't think Barbs is ready to be a legit top 6 center right now, he is 2 years closer than Thompson or Kyrou and his AHL production this year suggests that he is just as likely to hit his ceiling than those guys.

This is officially the most excited I have been for an indoor Blues game since the opener. My expectations are probably too high, but I am so ready to watch this kid play in the NHL.
I was very excited about him in his +1draft year. Got to watch him in Juniors and 1st year AhL. I soured a bit on him in the AHL but it was largly influenced by Fabbri and the Fabbri/Barbashev arguments durning the post draft year. Obviously that's not on Barbashev. He was fairly timid last year and was largly invisible. That was a complete 180° from the kid I saw in juniors. Im very excited that he's doing well this year but I've been cautiously optimistic. Ive always maintained he's your typical 2 way 2c or high end 3c.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I wouldn't mind seeing both a limited role for Barbashev (49) on the 4th and see if he has some chemistry with Jaskin. Assuming 50 ES minutes tonight

17-21-91 (16 min)
15-26-20 (16 min)
10-12-57 (10 min)
23-49-75 (8 min)

I would switch Fabbri and Schwartz, but other than that...looks good to me!

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I was very excited about him in his +1draft year. Got to watch him in Juniors and 1st year AhL. I soured a bit on him in the AHL but it was largly influenced by Fabbri and the Fabbri/Barbashev arguments durning the post draft year. Obviously that's not on Barbashev. He was fairly timid last year and was largly invisible. That was a complete 180° from the kid I saw in juniors. Im very excited that he's doing well this year but I've been cautiously optimistic. Ive always maintained he's your typical 2 way 2c or high end 3c.

I don't get to watch much AHL action (you can read that as 'basically none'). With that said, I don't read too much into a bad rookie AHL season for a 19/20 year old coming straight from the QMJHL. Junior to pro is always a hard adjustment and my personal opinion is that the Q prepares non-elite players for that jump less effectively than the OHL or WHL. I think it is important to remember that he would have been ineligible to even play in the AHL if he were just 3 weeks younger.

I think the most likely outcome is that he becomes a typical 2 way 2C, but I think his ceiling is a 2 way guy who straddles the line between high end 2C and low end 1C.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don't get to watch much AHL action (you can read that as 'basically none'). With that said, I don't read too much into a bad rookie AHL season for a 19/20 year old coming straight from the QMJHL. Junior to pro is always a hard adjustment and my personal opinion is that the Q prepares non-elite players for that jump less effectively than the OHL or WHL. I think it is important to remember that he would have been ineligible to even play in the AHL if he were just 3 weeks younger.

I think the most likely outcome is that he becomes a typical 2 way 2C, but I think his ceiling is a 2 way guy who straddles the line between high end 2C and low end 1C.

I wonder what other young player he'd be compared too. A guy like Horvat would be awesome

execwrite

May 4, 2002
Peekskill, NY
Visit site
Excellent. It's all about the future now - there's no Stanley Cup coming here this year.

Let Ivan get a taste of NHL life now in preparation for 2017-18. If he sticks that's even better.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura

If I were looking for comparable blues players, would that be a Backes-lite player? Or a Stastny?

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

I actually think the length of time Brozdiak will be out is why they chose Barbashev over Megan. It gives him a chance to play consistently. If it were a short term thing I wouldn't have been surprised to see Megan.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
I think Barbie is gonna be a poor-mans Backes. Big, hitter, good defensively, and loves to go to the front of the net.

I can live with that. From the wolves highlights he gets quite a few dirty goals, and that's something not seem much by this team this season. I miss some of those absolutely ridiculous tips Backes had.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I can live with that. From the wolves highlights he gets quite a few dirty goals, and that's something not seem much by this team this season. I miss some of those absolutely ridiculous tips Backes had.

I will say, I do think (from what I've seen) Barbie is a better skater than Backes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad