GDT: Russia Vs Sweden | 12/30 @ 9:30PM | TSN/NHLN

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Ray Ferraro has a whole bag of excuses for the Swedish team.

Excuses, what for? It's not like they lost 10-0. It was a tight, fun game that either team could've easily won in regulation. A skill competition OT and SO shouldn't have had to settle it, but the Russians outplayed them in OT and deserved to win at that point. They are also in the best position to win the group.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Not trying to hate but does anyone else think Askarov is overrated for the hype? I know limited sample size so I could be way off I've never seen him in the KHL.

I see what the scouts love he is super quick and has that elite flexibility. But I feel like his hockey sense isn't there. He is way too busy in the net moving around and stuff. I've seen him completely overslide going post to post and lose the net and go into the butterfly when there isn't even a shot coming.

Maybe it's something you can fix with coaching.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
No, his best asset is his skating. Oilers media said he was playing injured tonight and it affected his skating

Reported ankle injury, which makes sense he’s probably the best or one of the best skaters at this tournament and he did not look that way at all. Flashed a bit at some points tonight, but his lateral mobility and acceleration looked notably poor. Skating is his best attribute, and that didn’t look the way he usually does.

He probably should honestly sit it out if it’s this bad. He’s trying to obviously gut it out and play, but ankle injuries are a tough one to play through in a sport like hockey that relies so heavily on calf, feet, and ankle strength.

IceBjoern

Feb 24, 2010
Stockholm
I don’t know what some posters here are on about... this was the game of the tournament so far with both teams showcasing their skill and grit.

Refs did a good job in my view.

first time in a long time my heart was racing due to hockey, I’m so happy it’s back!

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
Haven't seen a lot of the tournament. except for tonight.
Russia clearly better team for the majority of the game.
Sweden had moments, but Russia carried the play and had stronger puck possession.
Sweden dominated 2nd. Russia was awol first 5 minutes in 3rd.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Unless the U.S. wins in regulation, after the quarters, Canada and Finland could be the 1 and 2 seeds.

Patman123and4

Dec 19, 2018
Lol. Russia had barely anything between the first period and OT (which they were by far better in). A couple of good chances on the counterattack is about it. Russia also got away with tonnes of stuff. Spearings, slashings, high sticks, delay of game, etc. More than makes up for whatever weak calls (not to mention they won the game off one).
Agree.. Russian penalties comes when sweden turns the game around. We have seen this so many times before both junior leagues and in the NHL.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
You’re so confident you beat Finland? That might backfire
Good point. I forgot we haven’t conquered Finland yet. I see the top team in our division as the only one winning their QF. The three top teams in the other division are really good. Looking like Canada, Russia, Sweden, and US in the Semifinals.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad