Russia U20 National Team - WJC-2018

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Rubtsov and Sukhachyov are still injured I guess, possibly Svechnikov too and I have a suspicion that Yegor Zaitsev might be not healthy too, since his absence is looking too strange.
Edit: yep, Yegor Zaytsev is injured.

Kostin, Lipanov, Zhukov and possibly Ustimenko should be preparing for the draft combine I guess.

Sergachyov is still busy preparing for the Memorial Cup.

No idea about Berdin - possibly Bragin trying to say 'Hi' to guys leaving for USHL (I mean, USHL doesn't have a SuperSeries break anyway)?

It's a bad sign when Raiko is the most recognizable name among goalies.

I think Melnichuk is, Raiko is the most annoying name though.

Is there some website to follow the games?

Last year I think they streamed it on youtube.

Last edited:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Rubtsov and Sukhachyov are still injured I guess, possibly Svechnikov too and I have a suspicion that Yegor Zaitsev might be not healthy too, since his absence is looking too strange.
Edit: yep, Yegor Zaytsev is injured.

Kostin, Lipanov, Zhukov and possibly Ustimenko should be preparing for the draft combine I guess.

Sergachyov is still busy preparing for the Memorial Cup.

No idea about Berdin - possibly Bragin trying to say 'Hi' to guys leaving for USHL (I mean, USHL doesn't have a SuperSeries break anyway)?

I think Melnichuk is, Raiko is the most annoying name though.

Last year I think they streamed it on youtube.

Ok thanks can I find a schedule somewhere or do you know if it will be posted to onhockey?

The interesting thing about Berdin is there were rumors that the USHL is to consider banning foreign goaltenders (even though it gave a huge boost to the league, look at the top goalies in the league, mostly foreigners who would have otherwise been starting in the CHL). If this is the case, Berdin would most likely return to Russia (unless strangely he would join NCAA). Even if this is not the case I do not see Berdin returning to the USHL next season, ECHL/AHL maybe?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Why is he ALWAYS on the NT roster? Always! And he is always terrible.

I don't get it. Is he that talented?

I guess so, since now not only Golubovich is a fan of him. :) Seriously though, I think he is here only because Sukhachyov, Zhukov, Ustimenko and Tarasov are unavailable.

Ok thanks can I find a schedule somewhere or do you know if it will be posted to onhockey?

The interesting thing about Berdin is there were rumors that the USHL is to consider banning foreign goaltenders (even though it gave a huge boost to the league, look at the top goalies in the league, mostly foreigners who would have otherwise been starting in the CHL). If this is the case, Berdin would most likely return to Russia (unless strangely he would join NCAA). Even if this is not the case I do not see Berdin returning to the USHL next season, ECHL/AHL maybe?

Games are scheduled for 26th, 27th and 28th of May, I think fhr.ru were posting the links last year, also I'd recommend to follow fhr's twitter account.

About Berdin, I'm pretty sure I heard/read that he is staying in the USHL for next season. USHL are not exactly banning import goalies, just adding some restrictions (I think it was that only one import goalie per team is allowed and it would cost two import slots).

P.s. post №3k. :)

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Russia Red beat Russia White 4-2.

I was really impressed with Altybarmakyan.

Great goal and a great no-look assist.

Highly skilled player.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Some random notes after the tournament:

• Ivanov and Kayumov combo could be a base for a good 4th line.
  • From the relatively unknown guys Danila Moiseyev looked pretty good. Also Artyom Ivanyuzhenkov was really impressive in the first game, but somehow didn't notice him in other games.
  • Marsel Sholokhov and Kirill Koshurnikov looked like typical Bragin's aggressive high-energy third-liners.
  • Umbrella powerplay with Sokolov and Popugayev at right and left circles looked pretty interesting.
  • Wasn't too impressed with Maltsev and Abramov combo, but I'd give it another try at the CAN/RUS Series.
  • Definitely expected more from Shvyryov and Veryayev combo; also from Kosorenkov.
  • Yes, as it has been mentioned, Altybarmakyan looked great.
  • 1999 born guys tried hard and were noticeable, but still looked a bit raw.
  • From the D, Samorukov and Makeyev showed most puckmoving potential, Syomin was the most physical guy there, although can't exactly say that they stood out.
  • Not impressed with goalies, so I'd still say that Sukhachyov is the likely starter, as I didn't see any upgrade on him in those goalies, although I think Melnichuk will be a decent backup. Lozebnikov looked interesting at times, but the stability isn't there at least yet.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
I agree with Bragin, most of the guys looked like they were already on summer break. I was disappointed to see the style of the game, too much individual play, chip and chase, or over bluieline and shot. Guys couldnt make even a single pass through a seem. Opposite of Russian hockey. One of the very few nice passing plays resulted in the Polodyan goal, but these types of plays were very minimal.

Polodyan and Alty had some good chemistry going. Maltsev showed flashes with the puck and solid moving through traffic. Manukyan looked okay, Kayumov flashed some skill but needs better linemates. Even the guys I normally like looked like crap at this tournament. Popugaev looked like a wet noodle when the puck was on his stick, WHL draining his skillset or something.

Melnichuk was solid. Berdin and Denisov better get a look at the super series, Im not sold on the short acrobatic style of Sukachev, maybe for back up role but nothing more please.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Zhukov was way too shaky at the U18s, Taraasov yeah. But whats everyone got hate for Berdin for?

Zhukov's kind of inconsistent, but he's good more times than not. If he becomes more consistent, he could be a good NHL starting goalie. He's so talented.

There's no hate for Berdin on my part. I think he's good, but not as good as Sukhachyov or Zhukov. I'd have to see how Tarasov rebounds from his injury. A lot of goalies struggle after injuries.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Goalie situation is weird in not a good way: Sukhachyov is still injured (it's been 5 months now), Tarasov too (about a year now). Melnichuk is healthy, but has similar flows to Sukhachyov, so I fail to see him as an upgrade. Lozebnikov has good size, but doesn't look like a starter to me at all. Berdin and Zhukov are USHLers and USHL don't have a break for the SuperSeries, so I highly doubt they are considered by Bragin at all. Ustimenko wasn't invited to Sochi for some reason, although for Russia-based goalies it's not that critical I guess, as there will be other opportunities.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Camp roster for the 4 Nations tournament in Finland (August 24-26):

GK
Alexei Melnichuk
Vladislav Sukhachyov
Kirill Ustimenko

D
Maxim Afanasyev
Nikolai Bogatov
Grigoriy Dronov
Alexander Kalinin
Nikolai Knyzhov
Ivan Kovalyov
Vladimir Miroshnichenko
Alexander Shepelev
Vladislav Syomin
Yegor Zaitsev

FW
Andrei Altybarmakyan
Pavel Gorokhov
Georgiy Ivanov
Vladislav Kara
Artur Kayumov
Timur Khafizov
Kirill Koshurnikov
Pavel Kukshtel
Mikhail Maltsev
Artyom Manukyan
Danila Moiseyev
Maxim Rasseikin
Marsel Sholokhov
Igor Shvyryov
Danil Veryayev

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Why no Makeev, Kurashov, Karpukhin? Strange omissions on a blueline that is already a mystery in every way.

No surprises at forward for me. If you add names like Svechnikov, Rubtsov and Kostin you have a strong core here.

A little strange to have uncertainty in goal. We've been strong at that position for so long. I'm rooting for Tarasov to break through this season.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Why no Makeev, Kurashov, Karpukhin? Strange omissions on a blueline that is already a mystery in every way.

Agree here. Also Alexeyev, I thought they had a good chemistry with Karpukhin. Although it might be done to not to disrupt them at the start of the KHL/VHL season, but still strange indeed.

No surprises at forward for me. If you add names like Svechnikov, Rubtsov and Kostin you have a strong core here.

Polodyan being not there is a bit of surprise (although I don't see him playing anywhere now, might be an injury). Overall it looks good on paper, but there are a lot of "if"s: if Svechnikov will impress Bragin at the SuperSeries, if Rubtsov will stop being awful at faceoffs, if Kostin will be allowed to go to the WJC by St. Louis... Oh, and also there are Abramov, Sokolov and even Popugaev (I'm kind of skeptical about him though).

A little strange to have uncertainty in goal. We've been strong at that position for so long. I'm rooting for Tarasov to break through this season.

I don't know about the uncertainty, I won't be surprised if Sukhachyov, Ustimenko and Melnichuk will be our GK lineup for the WJC and I won't feel bad about it. Although I definitely won't mind seeing Tarasov there too.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
If history is any indication, there will only be a couple of spots for CHLers, meaning don't count on Popugayev.

To me Afanasyev is an interesting guy. He hasn't broken through to senior level yet, but he constantly gets called up to NT for this age group and seems to always play well.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
If history is any indication, there will only be a couple of spots for CHLers, meaning don't count on Popugayev.

To me Afanasyev is an interesting guy. He hasn't broken through to senior level yet, but he constantly gets called up to NT for this age group and seems to always play well.

Actually history doesn't sound that bad for CHL-ers, for example in 2016 Bragin took 8 CHL guys; last year it was only 3 though, but it is good to remember that Korostelev and Tyanulin have only themselves to blame for the last minute cut, otherwise it would be 5. Although if we look only at CHL FWs, usually Bragin doesn't take more than 3 of them.

Agree about Afanasyev, I liked how he looked in Sochi.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Well this might be the year for high number of CHLers, although there are definitely talented guys in Russia also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad