Russia U20 National Team - WJC-2018

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Has Svech had his surgery yet? Anyone know? Hope he heals up good in time for camp. Add good news about Kostin's health and I am feeling an onrush of optimism.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
This was confusing:

I've read that Bragin has already confirmed that Svechnikov is out for that time.

On the other hand, I've read that Kostin was able to avoid the injury.

Dronov's return date is set as 24th of December at khl.ru, WJC starts on 26th... I'd say Bragin will try to wait for him if his recovery will be on schedule.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Forgot Shvyryov, that's the biggest omission I would say.

Yeah, it's not like we would be too deep at C, that's why I thought that Rubtsov-Maltsev-Shvyryov-Ivanov center lineup is almost set in stone. Although it might be that Metallurg didn't want to let him go for two weeks.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Link for this? All I see is this little quote where Bragin doesn't say much: https://www.championat.com/hockey/n...a-hoteli-posmotret-na-nego-na-superserii.html

I kind of interpreted that like "oh, welp", maybe i'm wrong though. Anyway I've read on nhl.com about 6-8 weeks recovery time yesterday (although they didn't use the word 'surgery' there, just 'injury').

Waiting for Dronov and not Svechnikov is pretty freaking duuuuumb. If true.

Dronov's situation is different than Svechnikov: if without Svechnikov we will still have Abramov, Kostin and Sokolov, who can generate some offense, then our defensive situation is pretty bad. In Sochi Bragin made a big bet on Dronov: he was on the ice basically all the time, especially in special teams, he was always there on the PP. That's why I had an impression that Bragin will try to make a new Rykov out of him. And basically so far I don't see any other alternatives, since we can't expect to Sergachev to be around and Samorukov looks too raw at this point.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
It's unclear how many games Berdin will be allowed to play though, as his USHL team's schedule isn't having any notable breaks by that time.

Maltsev played with Altybarmakyan today for SKA, I still hope to see Altybarmakyan-Maltsev-Abramov line.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I'm impressed with Center depth, unusual for this team.

To be honest I fail to see that impressive depth:

Maltsev and Rubtsov are favourites for the first and second line center duties even though Rubtsov doesn't play center full-time.

Ivanov - good for the 4th line role, but not sure if good enough for something more unless we go classical bottom-six aka "Bill's system".
Moiseyev - hard worker, but so far doesn't look to be any upgrade on Ivanov.
Rasseikin - totally not impressed by him (and probably not me alone, as he was cut from the last 4 Nations roster).
Lipanov, Koltygin - hard to imagine that Bragin will take them, probably they are the ones for the future.

Shvyryov - I don't even know how to rate his WJC chances now, not being on the Series roster is a bad sign.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
There are also Kara and Sholokhov.

Very hard to remember the last time Kara played center, probably that was before he played in the MHL. Sholokhov yes, but for the U20 NT he mostly plays wing (except one game in Sochi when Rasseikin got injured) and that makes sense as we are quite short of two-way wingers.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This would be the team I select.

Kostin-Rubtsov-Svechnikov
Abramov-Maltsev-Altybarmakyan
Kosorenkov-Shvryov-Sokolov
Kara-Ivanov-Lipanov

Next on the team would be one of the draft eligibles, Kravtsov, Denisenko, Rozhkov, Marchenko, Zavgorodny. All these guys should've been at this series, and the best of them could make the team. Enough of these guys who are only in contention because they are among the older players eligible. Russia needs to start taking more skilled teams, its what everyone else does. I know it won't change with Bragin, but it should. Does anyone remember two years ago Laine and Puljujarvi won Finland the tournament? Svechnikov should be one of this team's most important players, Khovanov if he wasn't sick should've been on this team, and some others should've been in contention. Defensively and in net, maybe not as many contenders, except Alexeyev, but among the forwards, a number should've been in contention, and at least 1 or 2 should make this team.

Dronov-Makeyev
Syomin-Y. Zaitsev
Sosunov-Samorukov
A. Alexeyev-D. Zaitsev

Sukhachyov
Berdin
Zhukov

Reactions: MaxV

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I agree with the idea that Bragin should consider more 17-year-olds and this class looks like the sort that can have several good candidates, but I don't think you can go heavy with 17-year-olds.

Svech and Alexeyev seem like the strongest candidates. Khovanov would also be. Kravtsov is underrated and deserves a shot. Zavgorodny's game seems pretty advanced for his age, I would consider him. The rest? Not really.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree with the idea that Bragin should consider more 17-year-olds and this class looks like the sort that can have several good candidates, but I don't think you can go heavy with 17-year-olds.

Svech and Alexeyev seem like the strongest candidates. Khovanov would also be. Kravtsov is underrated and deserves a shot. Zavgorodny's game seems pretty advanced for his age, I would consider him. The rest? Not really.

I'm not saying that it should be the U18 team, there's a tournament for that at the end of the season, but younger players should be considered. Thats what every other country does. You take the ones that belong. Some years its actually none, some its one or two, others you have a really good crop of young players and its 3-4. For Russia, its very occasionally 1. Does it not say something that we aren't even sure Svechnikov will make this roster? I know he's injured, but regardless of how much preparation he's had, if he's fit, he should be on the team. That shouldn't even be something to really debate.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Looks like Bogatov, Sholokhov, Kukshtel and Slepets didn't survive the final cuts for the Can/Rus Series.

About Svechnikov, Bragin told that if he will play at least 5 games until the camp, he will be invited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad