Olympics: Russia Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I see. I know most of the players were chosen from 2 teams in the KHL but wouldn't Markov be the best defenseman in the KHL?
He is not necessarily. But he is definitely better than at the very least 2 or 3 D-men on this roster.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Despite the names on the roster, I sense very little confidence that this team will deliver. Probably, it has to do with the total lack of confidence in Znarok. Clearly, Znarok and whoever else may have been involved in planning for the OG are betting all of their money on the notion that familiarity among players who mostly come from 2 teams will create cohesion that will win games. I hope that is true, but the level of expectation is much higher this year. The hope is, I think, that a Gold in hockey will compensate for the disaster of competing as "Olympic athletes." If this stellar teams manages to come up with a crap game that gets them eliminated in the playoff round, it leads one to wonder how high above Znarok the "axe" will extend.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Anything but a gold would be an epic disaster. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise.

I know that if the Russians lose, they will shrug this off as no big deal. They are used to doing this by now, with top-notch excuses like a) "it's a short tournament and anything can happen", b) "bad bounces" and c) "bad referees." With every single Olympics, expectations fall by a notch.

But heads will truly have to roll if they fail to take a candy from this baby.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Despite the names on the roster, I sense very little confidence that this team will deliver. Probably, it has to do with the total lack of confidence in Znarok. Clearly, Znarok and whoever else may have been involved in planning for the OG are betting all of their money on the notion that familiarity among players who mostly come from 2 teams will create cohesion that will win games. I hope that is true, but the level of expectation is much higher this year. The hope is, I think, that a Gold in hockey will compensate for the disaster of competing as "Olympic athletes." If this stellar teams manages to come up with a crap game that gets them eliminated in the playoff round, it leads one to wonder how high above Znarok the "axe" will extend.

I don't agree. I think that we will win, not even Sweden has such a good roster as we have and Znarok, well, who likes him, but in the end I frankly think he's not a bad coach. Not the best, of course, and he is a very strange fellow in any case.. But the situation is worrysome anyways because it will mean that we'll keep on having no KHL for another 4 years as this C/SKA travesty will continue.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
I see. I know most of the players were chosen from 2 teams in the KHL but wouldn't Markov be the best defenseman in the KHL?

The best in the KHL? He's too old and slow for that, albeit he's still very good of course. I'd say that at this point Nesterov, Gavrikov, Voynov are ahead of him.
Of course, any other normal coach within a normal system would have called him and Tryamkin over players like Zub and Khafizulin/Yakovlev. Doesn't mean those guys are bad players, though, quite the opposite.

Night_Vole

Mar 25, 2007
T dot
The best in the KHL? He's too old and slow for that, albeit he's still very good of course. I'd say that at this point Nesterov, Gavrikov, Voynov are ahead of him.
Of course, any other normal coach within a normal system would have called him and Tryamkin over players like Zub and Khafizulin/Yakovlev. Doesn't mean those guys are bad players, though, quite the opposite.

Voynov is the only guy on the same level as him. No one else can run a power play like Markov. True he is slow but he compensates for it by having a very high hockey sense, and veteran savy. Gavrikov is a promising young player, but his offense is still lacking. While Nesterov is prone to defensive lapses.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Voynov is the only guy on the same level as him. No one else can run a power play like Markov. True he is slow but he compensates for it by having a very high hockey sense, and veteran savy. Gavrikov is a promising young player, but his offense is still lacking. While Nesterov is prone to defensive lapses.

Nesterov is literally an accident waiting to happen. He is a talented guy, but I'm terrified when he is on the ice of what he might do.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Markov/Tryamkin is ideal pairing. Then we could have Nesterov/Gavrikov, and Voynov with whoever (probably Kiselevich) and we're good to go. Best D in the Olympics bar none.

Instead we have to deal with Znarok's crap like Zub, Zubarev, Khafizullin, Yakovlev and Marchenko.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Anything but a gold would be an epic disaster. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise.

I know that if the Russians lose, they will shrug this off as no big deal. They are used to doing this by now, with top-notch excuses like a) "it's a short tournament and anything can happen", b) "bad bounces" and c) "bad referees." With every single Olympics, expectations fall by a notch.

But heads will truly have to roll if they fail to take a candy from this baby.
The biggest problrm is to noone's surprise Znarok. There is another situation he won't be comfortable with. He doesn't know what it's like to be a star, to be under pressure constantly. He is just a bully who is not afraid of anything, but mostly because he is too dumb to understand.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com

Nesterov is a good player. I think he has really improved. Saying that Gavrikov etc, well, Markov is an offensive defenseman, Gavrikov is not. At this point I can see coaches getting Gavrikov over Markov, of course at the peak of his career Markov would be worth 10 Gavrikovs (no offense), but he's old. That said, I would have of course called him. I think 99% of the earth inhabitants would.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Markov/Tryamkin is ideal pairing. Then we could have Nesterov/Gavrikov, and Voynov with whoever (probably Kiselevich) and we're good to go. Best D in the Olympics bar none.

Instead we have to deal with Znarok's crap like Zub, Zubarev, Khafizullin, Yakovlev and Marchenko.

Again, in my opinion, you're putting too much stress on the players. They are all good players and worked hard to get there. It's not their fault if we don't like Znarok or his methods. It's not their fault if Znarok makes no effort to try and be more pleasant.
Also, I'm shocked how a knowledgeable user like you is calling Marchenko "crap". I'm following him since he was VERY young. If he wasn't destroyed by injuries he would be one of the best defensemen in the world. I have no doubt about it. He can backcheck without penalties, control the puck on the blue line, shoot, shadow the opposition.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
As a Habs fan, I dont get why Andrei Markov isnt there while some guys like Nesterov are? I know he isnt getting younger, but 1 year ago, he was a quality second pairing defenseman in the NHL.. so what happened exactly??:huh:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
As a Habs fan, I dont get why Andrei Markov isnt there while some guys like Nesterov are? I know he isnt getting younger, but 1 year ago, he was a quality second pairing defenseman in the NHL.. so what happened exactly??:huh:

It's a two-teams Team Russia. And Markov doesn't play on any of these teams. It's as simple as this.

Night_Vole

Mar 25, 2007
T dot
Sigh, that's what happens when you have players taken from only two teams. You could have had way more skill in the lineup, but you took a bunch of "role" players. I think they can still win gold, but they made it way harder on themselves. Because now they'll be playing way more of these close grinding games where anything can happen.

Oh and Markov would definitely have helped this dysfunctional power play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad