GDT: Russia - Canada

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I am devastated about the result. Congrats to team Canada for showing up in this tournament finally :)
Provorov is such an overrated player it's beyond me why he is logging so many minutes in Phily.
Nesterov is and has been utter rubbish on ice, why we brough him over - is beyond me
We got what we deserved, with this stupid red machine, gun ho crap from Rotenberg and a chicken hockey from Bragin.
I have a feeling there is nowhere else to fall, but knowing that nothing fundamental will change - waiting for new falls.

I don't care how many NHLers Canada had, Russia should've won. That said, this loss doesn't mean much. It's the haphazard Covid WC where everything crazy has occurred.

BUT, in the big picture, it's just another gutless performance from Big Red Machine.:rolleyes:
Blame Bragin all you want, but he's the symptom of the bigger problem. The problem is Rotenberg and Tretiak's good old boys club.

Great article
Трусливый хоккей с Канадой — лишь следствие системных проблем. Что не так у сборной России

Reactions: BlitzSnipe

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
200.gif
I love this guy and I still dont know who dat.

Help a brother out.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I don't care how many NHLers Canada had, Russia should've won. That said, this loss doesn't mean much. It's the haphazard Covid WC where everything crazy has occurred.

BUT, in the big picture, it's just another gutless performance from Big Red Machine.:rolleyes:
Blame Bragin all you want, but he's the symptom of the bigger problem. The problem is Rotenberg and Tretiak's good old boys club.

Great article
Трусливый хоккей с Канадой — лишь следствие системных проблем. Что не так у сборной России

The meaning that I took away was how poorly Russia's KHL-based talent performed. Yes, because of covid, there are more Russian players active in the Stanley Cup in comparison to most years, but the ones who might really make a difference could probably be counted on one hand - Kucherov, Svechnikov, Kaprizov, and so on. Overall, the total number of quality Russian players seems substantially lower than it has ever been previously. Compounding the lack of talent was the lack of energy and passion. That negative trend seems to be increasing, as far as I can tell. You have to wonder if anyone really cares?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
The meaning that I took away was how poorly Russia's KHL-based talent performed. Yes, because of covid, there are more Russian players active in the Stanley Cup in comparison to most years, but the ones who might really make a difference could probably be counted on one hand - Kucherov, Svechnikov, Kaprizov, and so on. Overall, the total number of quality Russian players seems substantially lower than it has ever been previously. Compounding the lack of talent was the lack of energy and passion. That negative trend seems to be increasing, as far as I can tell. You have to wonder if anyone really cares?

We have plenty of talent in the KHL to succeed. Hell, look at what Finland's managed to achieve in recent World Championships with non-NHL talent.

The issue is choosing the right players (regardless of league) and providing them a platform to succeed. This isn't occurring under the current leadership. We're doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. And like you said, it's noticeable in the demeanor of the players.

***holes like Boy of Privilege Rotenberg need to go. There's no room for forward thinking, differing ideas, or meeting of minds under the current leadership.

Last edited:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
We have plenty of talent in the KHL to succeed. Hell, look at what Finland's managed to achieve in recent World Championships with non-NHL talent.

The issue is choosing the right players (regardless of league) and providing them a platform to succeed. This isn't occurring under the current leadership. We're doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. And like you said, it's noticeable in the demeanor of the players.

***holes like Boy of Privilege Rotenberg need to go. There's no room for forward thinking, differing ideas, or meeting of minds under the current leadership.

I totally agree with the obvious conclusion that Rotenberg has succeeded in using his money to turn the KHL into his own private kingdom. Hockey is a sport that is first and foremost dependent on money, because it costs money to build rinks and maintain the infrastructure, and 99% of the money invested in Russian hockey comes from billionaires like Rotenberg, who seek only their personal interests, not those of the people who are dependent on their generosity. I get that.

But my observation (it may be incorrect) is that the end result has been an insufficient capability to develop talent on a widespread basis, like they do in Canada, the USA, Finland, and Sweden. There are some good players, just no longer enough to staff teams capable of winning World Championships and Olympic Gold Medals. And it seems to me it is getting progressively worse, rather than better, as if everyone in the RHF has just given up. With that in mind, which KHL players, in your opinion, were left off of the roster who could have enabled Russia to reach a better outcome?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I totally agree with the obvious conclusion that Rotenberg has succeeded in using his money to turn the KHL into his own private kingdom. Hockey is a sport that is first and foremost dependent on money, because it costs money to build rinks and maintain the infrastructure, and 99% of the money invested in Russian hockey comes from billionaires like Rotenberg, who seek only their personal interests, not those of the people who are dependent on their generosity. I get that.

But my observation (it may be incorrect) is that the end result has been an insufficient capability to develop talent on a widespread basis, like they do in Canada, the USA, Finland, and Sweden. There are some good players, just no longer enough to staff teams capable of winning World Championships and Olympic Gold Medals. And it seems to me it is getting progressively worse, rather than better, as if everyone in the RHF has just given up. With that in mind, which KHL players, in your opinion, were left off of the roster who could have enabled Russia to reach a better outcome?
Iĺl disagree a bit here...

I would say the US create insane amounts of talent at every position. They are a beast at the U18ś and U20s. They are doing a lot of things really well!

I don´t think they won an senior level event from Skoda cup to World Cup to Olympics since 1996. I would honestly say their program is world class and nothing wrong with it.

Regarding Russia.. I feel like itś on the rise personally. The Russian Factor for drafting seems to be diminishing, the goalies are insanely deep and good, finally some good NHL D in the mix. Wingers will always be world class.

Just a few Cś are needed.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
No this is just part of it, now this picture is represent all reasonce what cause problems in this country.
Watch Putin Play Hockey and Score a Suspicious Number of Goals
Totall moronicness, cringe and idiocy

The fish rots from the head, as the Russian saying goes.

In the Soviet days, it was all about the best players, about skill and the best possible strategy. Now, it's not even clear what this crap is about, fake 'patriotism' and money. It's frustrating to witness.

Reactions: Sentinel and wacko2

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

In the Soviet days, it was all about the best players, about skill and the best possible strategy. Now, it's not even clear what this crap is about, fake 'patriotism' and money. It's frustrating to witness.

Hockey is a very expensive sport, so money is a critical part of it. In Canada, the USA, Finland, Sweden, Switzerland, etc., hockey development funds come from taxing local residents of large and small communities, in order to build rinks, hire coaches, maintain facilities. The people pay those taxes willingly, if not enthusiastically, so there is a broad base of funding to ensure that talent continues to be produced.

In Russia, hockey is largely financed by billionaires, who literally have so much money that they have to be creative to figure out ways to spend it all! Billionaires don't exist in every part of the country, and many have no interest in hockey at all. That is why there are just a few population centers that produce hockey talent on a regular basis. It seems to me that those centers are declining. One factor that BlitzSnipe references is that there is no organized emphasis on excellence, as in Soviet times, so people in droves have stopped giving a damn!

wacko2

Dec 28, 2019
various

And Canada wants to beat its evil enemy while Russian players play nice guy. humiliating for us truthfully.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
You actually talk with BlitzSnipe

Do you have an issue with Yakushev72 and I exchanging ideas on this board?

Update: Canada has ended up winning Gold. Now, corrupt Russian officials can say "See? We lost to the best team" which will probably be the excuse for not drawing any conclusions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sentinel

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
Do you have an issue with Yakushev72 and I exchanging ideas on this board?
He just mentioned your nickname in that post as if were talked not with you but with some different person
Update: Canada has ended up winning Gold. Now, corrupt Russian officials can say "See? We lost to the best team" which will probably be the excuse for not drawing any conclusions.
Yeah the bastards clearly cheered for canada

Macman

May 15, 2004
Rotenberg should re-brand Russia as "Red village bicycle". What a shameful performance.

Apparently he called Canada "The Ugandan National Team" after its terrible start to this tournament. That's pretty funny, actually, but not a terribly smart thing to say.

Macman

May 15, 2004
My mistake. It wasn't Rotenberg. It was Alexander Rosenbaum. Isn't he a singer???

Anyway, this is the Google translated version of the paragraph:

Maple Leaves head coach Gerard Galland has already broken the mold by reaching the Stanley Cup final with Vegas assembled through the draft expansion. However, even after three defeats at the start, it is unlikely that even he could imagine that his team, which the fans at home at the beginning of the tournament hated as best they could and offered not to let back into the country, and Alexander Rosenbaum called the "Uganda national team", would win the world championship. Monsieur Galland, I'm sorry to laugh at you.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
My mistake. It wasn't Rotenberg. It was Alexander Rosenbaum. Isn't he a singer???

Anyway, this is the Google translated version of the paragraph:

Maple Leaves head coach Gerard Galland has already broken the mold by reaching the Stanley Cup final with Vegas assembled through the draft expansion. However, even after three defeats at the start, it is unlikely that even he could imagine that his team, which the fans at home at the beginning of the tournament hated as best they could and offered not to let back into the country, and Alexander Rosenbaum called the "Uganda national team", would win the world championship. Monsieur Galland, I'm sorry to laugh at you.

Ah ok. Just looked it up and you've lost translation. Nobody compared Canada to Team Uganda for heaven's sake.:rolleyes:

Rosenbaum attacked our media for its lack of respect for Canada, and how it subsequently did a disservice to our own players. "You have dragged the great hockey country of Canada to Uganda's level" is what he said.

Whatever. The only reason this is news is that Rotenberg 'liked' the Instagram post.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad