World Cup: Russia Banned From World Cup Qualifiers

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Fairly intelligent post by the Russian captain representative of what I wrote earlier.
Politics and sports should not be mixed and they pride themselves of not being mixed.
Yet Russia is treated differently from other countries.
Doesn't excuse the war obviously, but just that Russian sports men and women should not be targeted.
Finally read the translation of this.

Yeah fairly intelligent is one way to describe it, but definitely not the way I would. Telling Ukrainians to get in line doesn't sit well with me, nor does it sit well with me that he's saying Ukrainians should be thankful to Russians for giving Ukraine very very much. Not sure that's the right way to describe famine and nuclear fallout, but to each their own. I also don't like his thinly veiled threat at the end. Poor thing is getting called names by Yarmolenko and Mykolenko while their country is getting invaded. If Dzyuba is so concerned about human relations, I don't think the insults are exactly the root of the issue here.

Like I said earlier, thinking that politics and sports shouldn't mix is a naive understanding of football in European history. We see it with Barca/Madrid, the Old Firm, and so on. We also see it with other sports, like the import of the Miracle on Ice or the state-sponsored doping in Russia throughout various sports. Sports are often used as a way of building prestige for a country and its leadership; China is doing that with the Olympics now. This is the same "shut up and dribble" attitude that has led to blowback against LeBron James and other athletes, including Colin Kaepernick, who dare to have political opinions. Russians didn't mind mixing politics and sports when Ovechkin campaigned for Putin in 2015 or when he was used to sportswash 2014.

Now, as I have said before, often it is not the athletes' fault. Dzyuba/Ovechkin/Valieva/Bolshunov/etc. are not in control of their country. It is certainly unfair to them that they may face repercussions for actions of their leaders that they have no control of. And as I've said, I do not think Russian athletes should be punished on an individual level; Golovin should still be able to play for Monaco and Bolshunov should still be able to compete (albeit, in my opinion, not under the Russian flag). But given that sport is a source of national pride and prestige for Putin (and we know this because of his desire to host the Olympics and Euros to enhance Russia's image), I understand targeting national teams. It makes sense. Again, it sucks for the athletes and it may be considered unfair. But I'm not really interested in hearing that these Russian soccer players are the victims when Yarmolenko apparently flew to the Polish border yesterday to get his family.

You (and others - I do not mean this as an attack on you specifically, or, for that matter, an attack at all) can play the whatabout game and how Russia is treated different and what have you until you're blue in the face and I can look at each situation and point out key differences but that's just obfuscating what is happening here. Nor do I think it is at all appropriate or moral to blame NATO or Ukraine for the minor possibility of Ukraine joining NATO (a possibility that was effectively eliminated once Putin fomented the breakaway republics through his invasion that wasn't in 2014). Ukraine, a sovereign nation, should and does have the absolute right to make and enter into its own alliances, and wanting to align with Europe and the West is not at all a justification for invasion. For what it's worth, if Mexico decided it wanted to join a treaty alliance with, say, China, I would have the same opinion (and that's setting aside that modern Mexico doesn't have the same reason to worry about invasion compared to Soviet bloc countries).

At the end of the day, ask yourself this question: is what Russia is doing to Ukraine - a full scale invasion including indiscriminate bombing of cities - wrong? If you answer yes, then ask yourself this question: Should Russia receive consequences for doing things that are wrong? Again, if you answer yes to this, ask yourself again why you're upset that this is happening.

Once again, for clarity and so that you cannot misstate or distort my position, I do not think individual Russians, other than those directly connected to and a part of the elite and ruling class, should face individual consequences in terms of losing their jobs, etc. I think some of the blowback (e.g., CHL banning Russian players from the import draft) is counterproductive. I think that the West should welcome anyone trying to leave Russia right now. I do not think that it is so egregious that Ukrainian soccer players are mad at Russian soccer players, just like I would not have blamed any Iraqi for being mad at any American during the Iraq War. When someone's homes, freedom, nationality, and lives are threatened, I do not ask for pure rationality.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Fairly intelligent post by the Russian captain representative of what I wrote earlier.
Politics and sports should not be mixed and they pride themselves of not being mixed.
Yet Russia is treated differently from other countries.
Doesn't excuse the war obviously, but just that Russian sports men and women should not be targeted.

It sets a slippery precedent too. Are they going to pick and choose which countries' athletes they reprimand for invasions of the future?

And where do you draw the line? For example, what if a nation is indirectly getting another organization to do their dirty work on a foreign land?

I feel like its all about public image at the end of the day, rather than some moral stance.

Reactions: Evilo

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
This idea that politics and sports are totally separate and unrelated is nonsense. Sport has always been tied to politics in Europe. Football in particular.

In the past sanctions for political protest have been very selectively enforced though, which has given the governing bodies a problem here.

Not forgetting that Russian literally did it themselves last week. Exibition game before the KHL playoffs began, with a huge "Putin is our president" banner behind the benches.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
upload_2022-3-6_22-21-30.png

Reactions: Javaman

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
The latest rumor I read is FIFA really don't want to throw out Russia and are willing to postpone the match against Poland until June. Decision could be made as soon as tomorrow

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
On the flip side, is FIFA really going to make Ukraine play against Scotland in 2 weeks?

I doubt it, especially with Scotland being supportive of a postponement...but the schedule gets tight very quickly...sounds like if they do postpone it'll be in June. Tough situation all around.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
As for building this pressure. How well has that worked for North Korea, Iran, Venezuela etc? Can one even find one example where sanctions have led to clear improvement of a situation? And why wouldn’t the opposite work just as well? Showing Russian athletes that the rest of the world is different (hopefully better)? Wouldn’t that cause that social unrest one would be hoping for?

I definitely think there's a case to be made that certain actions such as Western companies pulling out of Russia don't bother Putin at all and in some ways may even suit him. Like, oh, no more Pepsi or Coca Cola? Sounds like a fine opportunity for Russian cola to finally take over the market. Things like this serve to isolate the country more and give him more leeway to form a more effective dictatorship along let's say, with some exaggeration, North Korean lines.

Of course at the end of the day these companies are often more worried about being boycotted if they don't do it than actually taking a stance, and I think bodies like FIFA are in the same boat - the pressure is so high they don't exactly have a lot of choice, and that's why I don't waste too much mental energy in considering whether it's the "right" move or not. They were backed into a corner and did what was being demanded of them. Some people feel such a need to take action that their targets for it are, to say the least, questionable. I live in a part of the city with lots of streets named after places in Russia and of course you already have people clambering to rename them. It's rather silly but people are very silly and have never been any different.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I definitely think there's a case to be made that certain actions such as Western companies pulling out of Russia don't bother Putin at all and in some ways may even suit him. Like, oh, no more Pepsi or Coca Cola? Sounds like a fine opportunity for Russian cola to finally take over the market. Things like this serve to isolate the country more and give him more leeway to form a more effective dictatorship along let's say, with some exaggeration, North Korean lines.

Of course at the end of the day these companies are often more worried about being boycotted if they don't do it than actually taking a stance, and I think bodies like FIFA are in the same boat - the pressure is so high they don't exactly have a lot of choice, and that's why I don't waste too much mental energy in considering whether it's the "right" move or not. They were backed into a corner and did what was being demanded of them. Some people feel such a need to take action that their targets for it are, to say the least, questionable. I live in a part of the city with lots of streets named after places in Russia and of course you already have people clambering to rename them. It's rather silly but people are very silly and have never been any different.

Yeah. On the road to woke hell. Where there is this "pressure" that will justify any sort of virtue signalling.

Not saying this is easy (and I'm not against people trying to do the right thing - but you got to think a bit as well), but how long until European families are supposed to pay €20k+ per year for heating/aircon/cooking or "energy"? Looking forward to see how well that will work. Of course it will be solved by politicians offering subsidies etc. - as if that changes the supply.

I don't believe the future is set, so I do believe things can still change, but based on the complete lack of intelligence in the general political discussion in the "west" at the moment - this will lead to riots and war - against the "fringe minority".

Trudeau admires China - soon we all get to admire them :laugh:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Why couldn't anyone replace Russia for the game against Poland? I don't care if that was to be Norway or not, but what is the reason? Could have done it through a lottery for all I care.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I don't believe the future is set, so I do believe things can still change, but based on the complete lack of intelligence in the general political discussion in the "west" at the moment - this will lead to riots and war - against the "fringe minority"

Yes, poor Russia being the fringe minority. Woe be to them

Reactions: luiginb

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Yes, poor Russia being the fringe minority. Woe be to them

Not talking about Russians. Talking about Europeans (and Americans of course) soon paying 5-10-20x more for "energy" (electricity, gas etc.) than what we/you are used to.

Again - I'm extremely lucky - as a Norwegian we will only get richer, but for almost everyone else this will be a real issue. Bigger than what most people in the "west" have ever experienced.

Then you will see "fringe minority" popping up....

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Not talking about Russians. Talking about Europeans (and Americans of course) soon paying 5-10-20x more for "energy" (electricity, gas etc.) than what we/you are used to.

Again - I'm extremely lucky - as a Norwegian we will only get richer, but for almost everyone else this will be a real issue. Bigger than what most people in the "west" have ever experienced.

Then you will see "fringe minority" popping up....

20x more because of Russian sanctions? Think your estimates are a little off here…

Even in California where gas prices are high, it’s only gone up ~25%, so orders of magnitude less than this wild speculation. And if it gets worse, we will “open up” to such heroic countries as Iran/Venezuela.

Plus if there is more money to be made, US shale can ramp up real fast, let alone all the Middle Eastern cartels.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
20x more because of Russian sanctions? Think your estimates are a little off here…

Even in California where gas prices are high, it’s only gone up ~25%, so orders of magnitude less than this wild speculation. And if it gets worse, we will “open up” to such heroic countries as Iran/Venezuela.

Plus if there is more money to be made, US shale can ramp up real fast, let alone all the Middle Eastern cartels.

Petrol/diesel isn’t all energy costs. Electricity in Europe has probably been up more than 20x on certain days in certain countries this winter.

If all countries had been virtue signalling as hard as Biden gas wouldn’t even be available many places for cars - never mind the cost. The only reason it doesn’t matter much right now is because so far all others are buying that oil.

We happily buy Saudi oil though. Bombing Yemen as we speak.

Not defending Putin here, but it is just so mind boggling stupid. Germany keep shutting down nuclear power plants at the same time the US are sanctioning Russian oil :laugh:

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Petrol/diesel isn’t all energy costs. Electricity in Europe has probably been up more than 20x on certain days in certain countries this winter.

If all countries had been virtue signalling as hard as Biden gas wouldn’t even be available many places for cars - never mind the cost. The only reason it doesn’t matter much right now is because so far all others are buying that oil.

We happily buy Saudi oil though. Bombing Yemen as we speak.

Not defending Putin here, but it is just so mind boggling stupid. Germany keep shutting down nuclear power plants at the same time the US are sanctioning Russian oil :laugh:

“On certain days, in certain countries” again do you have any evidence to this? Or just being inflammatory?

As for US sanctioning while Germany closes Nuclear plants. Maybe it’s possible two countries have differing outlooks and different strategies on how to handle not only climate change but a once a generation potential war in Europe?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
“On certain days, in certain countries” again do you have any evidence to this? Or just being inflammatory?

As for US sanctioning while Germany closes Nuclear plants. Maybe it’s possible two countries have differing outlooks and different strategies on how to handle not only climate change but a once a generation potential war in Europe?

Inflammatory? How is that statement inflammatory.

These are the electricity prices in the Southern parts of Norway. Historically we have been at around 20 "øre" (Norwegian cents if you want) per kWh during winter. Sometimes over sometimes lower. But as you can see even when we have had spikes historically they have been short and compared to today not very high. This time 2 years ago the electricity prices where below 10 øre and as you can see they recently reached 400 øre full day. Yesterday we had around 800 øre for parts of the day.
Screenshot 2022-03-09 at 20.50.05.png

They have the same strategy. Completely destroying supply of energy without any plan to replace it. At yesterday's prices a completely normal Norwegian family would pay more than $20k per year just for electricity. Of course climate change won't be an issue when we are all living in cages.

Those are the historical electricity prices in Europe. As you can see Norway is the cheapest while also being among, if not the richest, country in Europe. So if a Norwegian family is to pay $20k a year in electricity how the %"#%% are others going to be able to pay? In quite a few European countries a regular job might not even pay much more than $20k a year - probably less in quite a few countries.

Screenshot 2022-03-09 at 20.58.31.png

By all means. I get the issue. People don't like it when Greta Thunberg speaks poorly about your country, but this is not the way. It will only lead to riots and then who knows (of course there will be a period with subsidies, but you cannot subsidise your way out of this).

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
The solution is to go green not to kowtow to wannabe dictators. Spain has a lot of unmet potential with solar for example, but conservative governments here have done their best to stop that dead, even taxing solar panels a couple years back.

Reactions: les Habs

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The solution is to go green not to kowtow to wannabe dictators. Spain has a lot of unmet potential with solar for example, but conservative governments here have done their best to stop that dead, even taxing solar panels a couple years back.

The solution is actually to go nuclear, but try telling that to folks.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The solution is actually to go nuclear, but try telling that to folks.
There are countries like Finland that have all along been actively trying to increase their nuclear capacities, but are struggling because existing projects have proven far too complex and potential Western partners have their hands full already for more. Ultimately the only way forward in the short or mid-term appears to be cooperation with sanctioned entities like Rosatom or China Nuclear, which is not really any better than having to rely on Gazprom et al.

Reactions: maclean

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

“It’s ridiculous that we’re going to play in a country to – what does FIFA say? — to develop football there,” Van Gaal said on Monday, “and you do that by organizing a tournament in that country.

“That is (expletive). But it doesn’t matter. It’s about money, commercial interests. That’s what matters to FIFA.”

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
UEFA already responded by threatening to ban the Russian Football Union altogether if they move forward with their bid, at the moment only their teams have been suspended.

Reactions: Jussi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad