World Cup: Russia Banned From World Cup Qualifiers

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
It is unfair, as the players aren’t responsible for the actions of the ruling class. But it’s also unfair that Ukraine is being invaded and attacked in the way it is, so if it puts further pressure on Russia I’m supportive of it.

UEFA has shown some double standards here though that will be difficult to come back from. Numerous clubs have been fined in the past for bringing politics into football and that should never have been the case. Football and politics have always been intertwined and fans should be free to protest as they see fit, provided that abuse, racism or bigotry doesn’t enter the equation.

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
FIFA has been, and will in the future probably continue to be consistent regarding these situations. If a lot of noise is made, and they are put in a tough spot, they will ban teams.

Sweden, Poland, Czechia and Denmark refused to play them, and more countries might have followed. That's it.

Reactions: Jussi and cgf

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Great, you guys got some clown mid to stick their nose into our forum. They’re gonna turn our forum into the rest of this portly moderated site.

Reactions: cgf and Evilo

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I fully support political/economical sanctions against Russia but I think FIFA is setting a standard that's going to be impossible to argue away.

Money rules all their decisions. Currently, the money is going against Russia, so that's it. If anyone thinks there's a moral position here, well they don't know these organizations very well.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Tbh I don't really get the idea of not wanting to compete in sports against an enemy nation. Like surely competing against an enemy nation leads to the best and most memorable contests. We're still talking about the Summit Series 45 years later or the Miracle on Ice. Like would that be a thing if the opponent had been Sweden? Obviously not. It's sport at its finest because it's tense and on the edge while at the same time proving that we're all still humans. If Rocky can fight Ivan Drago after Drago killed his best friend, man, then Lewandowski can play Russia.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
If Rocky can fight Ivan Drago after Drago killed his best friend, man, then Lewandowski can play Russia.

1hozrp.jpg

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
So are they gonna do like a 3 team mini tournament between the 3 teams left in path B or something? I don’t imagine Poland is just going to get a bye into the final here.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tbh I don't really get the idea of not wanting to compete in sports against an enemy nation. Like surely competing against an enemy nation leads to the best and most memorable contests. We're still talking about the Summit Series 45 years later or the Miracle on Ice. Like would that be a thing if the opponent had been Sweden? Obviously not. It's sport at its finest because it's tense and on the edge while at the same time proving that we're all still humans. If Rocky can fight Ivan Drago after Drago killed his best friend, man, then Lewandowski can play Russia.
Look up the 1980 summer Olympics and let us know how that one went

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I mean, the president of Cameroon just appointed their new nt coach…countries like China NK or Cuba are basically ran by the government. FIFA allows politics into football all the time. We can point to lot of double standards but I guess this is also a special situation, even though we can also point to double standards with other wars which we are not going to elaborate on. But FIFA is also a western/European ran institution so it falls under its influence.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I fully support political/economical sanctions against Russia but I think FIFA is setting a standard that's going to be impossible to argue away.

I mean, it's not like FIFA made some brave decision or set some kind of precedent. The countries that were supposed to play Russia were refusing and they were faced with the headache of dealing with it, so they chose the path of least resistance. FIFA is not a court of justice, it is just trying to arbitrate things in a way to make the most people happy.

Reactions: cgf

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Look up the 1980 summer Olympics and let us know how that one went

And the fact that the West missed those games and the East missed the 84 games was a travesty.

Does anyone think that had any effect other than to help people win medals who otherwise would not have?

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
I don't necessarily disagree with banning Russia from international competitions, but where is the consistency? There are currently other ongoing wars and invasions that are ignored and aren't facing sanctions from FIFA.

Should Saudi Arabia be banned for their ongoing invasion of Yemen? What about Israel for the occupation of Palestine?

This isn't a slippery slope argument, these are conflicts just as bloody as Russia invading Ukraine yet not a word from FIFA on them, let along sanctions of any kind. I'm just wondering where the consistency is here, or is it going to set a precedent (which I'm not necessarily opposed to since I think international organizations need to take stands on things like this, especially as international sport is often used for propaganda and stirring nationalism)

Last edited:
Reactions: Evilo and Havre

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don't necessarily disagree with banning Russia from international competitions, but where is the consistency? There are currently other ongoing wars and invasions that are ignored and aren't facing sanctions from FIFA.

Should Saudi Arabia be banned for their ongoing invasion of Yemen? What about Israel for the occupation of Palestine?

This isn't a slippery slope argument, these are conflicts just as bloody as Russia invading Ukraine yet not a word from FIFA on them, let along sanctions of any kind. I'm just wondering where the consistency is here, or is it going to set a precedent (which I'm not necessarily opposed to since I think international organizations need to take stands on things like this, especially as international sport is often used for propaganda and stirring nationalism)

I guess the principle is don't bomb white people.

If FIFA, UEFA etc. had some sort of standard saying any country involved in an armed conflict as defined by UN (or whatever) you are automatically excluded - then fine. Even FIFA and the rest having their own committee would be better. Over the last week the Saudi's have again bombed Yemen. This is not in dispute, but nothing is done. And seemingly no-one cares.

Just hope that the absolutely massive pressure we see on Russia on all fronts will at some point fairly quickly have some effect. I'm not optimistic, but got to hope. Not that I think sports will matter one inch. I doubt North Korea would turn democratic if we just denied their athletes to compete in sports. But I guess it makes us all feel better.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

As I said above, you cannot expect consistency from FIFA, in anything. They are not taking an initiative here, they are simply reacting to the fact that other countries are refusing to play with Russia, so they would either have to punish those countries or do what they did. FIFA is just an arbiter, not the police.

Reactions: cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad