WJC: Russia at the 2011 WJC

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Not really complaining, just stating that the you can definitely tell that the skill level drops off after the 1st line... Burdasov and Valiusky are give away machines. Every time they have the puck they loose it. Burdasov has tried the toe drag move already like 8 times this tournament and it worked once. Zaitsev I thought would have been better, He looked absolutely rattled in the Canada game.
Golubev took probably the dumbest penalty I've seen in the tourny late in the Sweden game. He was chicken to go in the corner so he took an interference call. Very poor and embarrassing penalty to take.
Like the announcer was saying, how can you send guys who are playing 5 minutes a game in the KHL and maybe a handful of games in the MHL, which is barely better than a canadian jr. B league. Just not playing enough. You got good players playing abroad, maybe younger but at least they are playing regularly in a good league...
On a positive note, Kitsyn and Tarasenko look good together, Orlov looks real good out there also as well.

ps what is the purpose of the MHL? KHL takes pla yers for the bottom lines, and even a handful of eligible players are playing for each VHL team. So many eligible MHL players not playing in the MHL? Not to mention the eligible players defecting. If you want the junior league to get better, limit KHL to 2 junior eligible players per team, and restrict them from playing in the VHL! The current rules don't make conceptual sense with the purpose of the league.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Yakushev72

Malkinfan,

The purpose of the MHL is to have a hockey development league for young Russian players to develop their skill. I don't know whether you are correct or not in saying that it is the equivalent of the Canadian Junior B level, but they have to start somewhere. The important question is what will the MHL look like 5, 10, or 20 years from now. The CHL has been in business in Canada for 60 years or more. There is no short-term or quick fix way to develop youth hockey anywhere.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Prior to MHL, I think there was a big gap for young Russian players as those who didn't develop right away were stuck either in the VHL or on the bench of their Superleague/KHL teams playing 5 minutes a game or not playing at all.

Now the younger players have a league where they can play and hopefully develop against similarly skilled players and I think in theory it's a great idea as this way we should have more young players playing competitively and this should give a chance to the late bloomers to develop and discover themselves.

The difference I see between CHL in Canada and MHL in Russia is that I think teams in Canada are actually able to profit from running these junior teams. Seems like a lot of the WHL, OHL and QMJHL teams are getting pretty good attendance and fan support and I'm not sure the same can be said of MHL.

At some point the financial bubble will burst and we could lose a lot of these teams to bankruptcy which would be a huge hit to our hockey..

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Prior to MHL, I think there was a big gap for young Russian players as those who didn't develop right away were stuck either in the VHL or on the bench of their Superleague/KHL teams playing 5 minutes a game or not playing at all.

Now the younger players have a league where they can play and hopefully develop against similarly skilled players and I think in theory it's a great idea as this way we should have more young players playing competitively and this should give a chance to the late bloomers to develop and discover themselves.

The difference I see between CHL in Canada and MHL in Russia is that I think teams in Canada are actually able to profit from running these junior teams. Seems like a lot of the WHL, OHL and QMJHL teams are getting pretty good attendance and fan support and I'm not sure the same can be said of MHL.

At some point the financial bubble will burst and we could lose a lot of these teams to bankruptcy which would be a huge hit to our hockey..

As I know, attendance in East is good (Ufa, Kazan etc), but problem is Moscow region.
Attendance of MHL has increased comparing to last season

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
everyone in Russia wants to be a forward, the d-man are the ones who weren't good enough to become forwards - therefore, Russian d-man are just bad forwards.

This is what I always suspected, and it's not a problem unique to Russia. Kids want to be superstars and if your country/region traffics in one particular type of player the next generation will aspire to that goal.

Botta

Jul 12, 2010

Let`s hope it won`t happen with the MHL

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Yakushev72

The biggest boon to the development of the CHL in Canada was when TSN cable network was first started about 28 years ago. This provided space for youth hockey to be shown on TV more often, and enabled fans to become familiar with players and their skills. It was easier to be a fan because you could see for yourself how good the players were. Russia needs to expand TV coverage so Russians can see more juniors play and begin to identify with them and become fans.

It seems to me that the most fertile ground for future expansion is in the Urals, Siberia and the Far East. A lot of good players are already coming from those areas, but the total population is 25% larger than the entire population of Canada, and there are a lot of big cities in those regions that do not have MHL teams now (e.g., Krasonoyarsk, Irkutsk). No need for more teams in Moscow Oblast - probably too many already. I wondered how smaller cities like Chekhov and Balashaika could support major league, expensive KHL/MHL teams in the first place.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
This is what I always suspected, and it's not a problem unique to Russia. Kids want to be superstars and if your country/region traffics in one particular type of player the next generation will aspire to that goal.

it's not just the kid's mentality, the coaches too, they pick the biggest fastest strongest kids to play forward - the rest are d-men.:laugh:

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
it's not just the kid's mentality, the coaches too, they pick the biggest fastest strongest kids to play forward - the rest are d-men.:laugh:

Huh? Are the junior coaches really this incompetent? They are supposed to be professionals. In a Finnish hockey magazine there was a story that claimed that a Russian junior hockey coach gets paid 1000 euros per month. Average salary in Russia is 600 euros per month. These coaches should be real pros.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Yakushev72

Great game by Russia last night. A little sloppy after they started to pull away at 8-2, but it was great to see 8 goals in two periods. This gives hope that this Russian team is like others in the past (2002, 2003) that have started very slowly and then become the best team in the tournament in time for the Gold Medal game. I am cautiously optimistic that it could happen again.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
The biggest boon to the development of the CHL in Canada was when TSN cable network was first started about 28 years ago. This provided space for youth hockey to be shown on TV more often, and enabled fans to become familiar with players and their skills. It was easier to be a fan because you could see for yourself how good the players were. Russia needs to expand TV coverage so Russians can see more juniors play and begin to identify with them and become fans.

It seems to me that the most fertile ground for future expansion is in the Urals, Siberia and the Far East. A lot of good players are already coming from those areas, but the total population is 25% larger than the entire population of Canada, and there are a lot of big cities in those regions that do not have MHL teams now (e.g., Krasonoyarsk, Irkutsk). No need for more teams in Moscow Oblast - probably too many already. I wondered how smaller cities like Chekhov and Balashaika could support major league, expensive KHL/MHL teams in the first place.

Yeah I agree, hockey needs a lot more exposure in Russia and Moscow is probably not the place to develop players, although historically, CSKA, Spartak, Dynamo and Krylia Sovetov have all brought in their share of hockey stars.

I think another problem is the economic situation in Russia and I'm worried that a lot of young kids may not be able to afford to play the game as all the equipment is very expensive.

Great game by Russia last night. A little sloppy after they started to pull away at 8-2, but it was great to see 8 goals in two periods. This gives hope that this Russian team is like others in the past (2002, 2003) that have started very slowly and then become the best team in the tournament in time for the Gold Medal game. I am cautiously optimistic that it could happen again.

I feel the same way, but I think that 2003 team was better. Our forwards were fast, big, strong and had the killer instinct that I'm not sure the current team has. We were able to dominate offensively which compensated largely for a total lack of a goalie as Medvedev was total crap, but the old saying of "if you keep the puck in their zone, they can't score on you" worked for us.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Am I the only one that thinks Bobkov should be starting in goal?

I mean, Shikin has ability, he makes tough saves, but he plays "hot potato" with the puck way too much.

member 30781

Am I the only one that thinks Bobkov should be starting in goal?

I mean, Shikin has ability, he makes tough saves, but he plays "hot potato" with the puck way too much.

I didn't think the game against Canada was his fault. He actually played pretty well except for that strange bounce from the Ellis shot.

The defense was leaving him out to dry, so I think he should have started.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Huh? Are the junior coaches really this incompetent? They are supposed to be professionals. In a Finnish hockey magazine there was a story that claimed that a Russian junior hockey coach gets paid 1000 euros per month. Average salary in Russia is 600 euros per month. These coaches should be real pros.

I am talking peevee (sp?) kids level - the coaches picks forwards first, than who is in his opinion is not good enough to be a forward becomes a d-man

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
I think another problem is the economic situation in Russia and I'm worried that a lot of young kids may not be able to afford to play the game as all the equipment is very expensive.
Right now Russia is a lot richer and with a far bigger middle class than it was in 1998-2003 when Russia was icing better WJC teams than it is now.

Economic situation is certainly not the reason why Russian hockey has been deteriorating.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Right now Russia is a lot richer and with a far bigger middle class than it was in 1998-2003 when Russia was icing better WJC teams than it is now.

Economic situation is certainly not the reason why Russian hockey has been deteriorating.

when Russia was fielding strong WJC teams in 98-03, the players on those teams weren't born in 98-03, they were from the early-mid 80s and I think still sort of grew up on the momentum from the Soviet system before things started falling apart.

also, I imagine equipment prices have gone up significantly since then. hockey sticks didn't cost 100s of dollars and the skates probably weren't $700-800 either..

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
when Russia was fielding strong WJC teams in 98-03, the players on those teams weren't born in 98-03, they were from the early-mid 80s and I think still sort of grew up on the momentum from the Soviet system before things started falling apart.

also, I imagine equipment prices have gone up significantly since then. hockey sticks didn't cost 100s of dollars and the skates probably weren't $700-800 either..

Players from 98-03 WCJ teams started playing hockey in early and middle 1990s when Russia was an economic basket case. Your argument that the decline of Russian hockey has something to do with overall economic situation does not hold truth.

Fulcrum

Right now Russia WJC is fielding teams from the pool of 91/92 born, these kids were 6-7 years old when the Russian economy was at its lowest in 1998. Whereas Malkin/ Ovechkin were still enjoying the good of what was left from the soviet times in the early 90's- I know as I am their age and was there myself at the time, most Sports were extremely cheap, if not free! to join. Almost all the families could afford them. Now its completely different.

pouskin74*

I feel the same way, but I think that 2003 team was better. Our forwards were fast, big, strong and had the killer instinct that I'm not sure the current team has. We were able to dominate offensively which compensated largely for a total lack of a goalie as Medvedev was total crap, but the old saying of "if you keep the puck in their zone, they can't score on you" worked for us.

actually he was pretty good at that time!:)

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Players from 98-03 WCJ teams started playing hockey in early and middle 1990s when Russia was an economic basket case. Your argument that the decline of Russian hockey has something to do with overall economic situation does not hold truth.

players from the 98-03 wjc teams were born in late 70's - early 80's. I'd imagine they began playing hockey earlier than the mid 90s.

and as Fulcrum said, even after the country fell apart, organized sports was far more accessible than it became later on when the country was going through turmoil.

hell, even in Canada, hockey is sort of a rich man's sport

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad