WJC: Russia at the 2011 WJC

pouskin74*

Right now Russia is a lot richer and with a far bigger middle class than it was in 1998-2003 when Russia was icing better WJC teams than it is now.

Economic situation is certainly not the reason why Russian hockey has been deteriorating.

thats why we need to be patient and wait till guys from 1995 and later will appear on surface. 90-s were total blackout for Russia in every aspect of life! there is more kids in hockey right now and amount of invested money in to kidshockey is much bigger than it was in early 90-s till to 99/00.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
thats why we need to be patient and wait till guys from 1995 and later will appear on surface. 90-s were total blackout for Russia in every aspect of life! there is more kids in hockey right now and amount of invested money in to kidshockey is much bigger than it was in early 90-s till to 99/00.

Yes, I agree. But this doesn't mean that our junior hockey is perfect. It's very far from being so, unfortunately.

pouskin74*

when Russia was fielding strong WJC teams in 98-03, the players on those teams weren't born in 98-03, they were from the early-mid 80s and I think still sort of grew up on the momentum from the Soviet system before things started falling apart.

also, I imagine equipment prices have gone up significantly since then. hockey sticks didn't cost 100s of dollars and the skates probably weren't $700-800 either..

thats for sure and fact that there were a lot of empty spaces at Superleague rosters which were fulfilled by young guns, helped a lot to be successful at international level.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
players from the 98-03 wjc teams were born in late 70's - early 80's. I'd imagine they began playing hockey earlier than the mid 90s.

Let's take the 2003 WCJ team for example. Players in this team were born from 1983 to 1985. They were five or six year olds when the USSR collapsed. They spent the most crucial years of their hockey development in the early and middle 1990s, when Russia's economical situation was worse then ever before or after.

It is rather impressive that Russia was able to produce such a good WJC teams with players who spent their development time in the chaotic 1990's.

And this further should tell us that Russia's economic situation (which is actually rather good now) is not a reason why Russian hockey has been declining.

and as Fulcrum said, even after the country fell apart, organized sports was far more accessible than it became later on when the country was going through turmoil.
Is it really so that in 1995 it was easier and cheaper for a Russian kid to start a hockey career than now? If this is true then there is something seriously wrong in the whole system.

In 1995 Russian hockey clubs were bankcrupt (some of them had trouble buying even equipment for players). I find it unbelievable, that under these circumstances, young kids could start a hockey career more easily in 1995 than today, when the money is plentiful in Russian hockey and the middle class has grown fast in the country.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Right now Russia WJC is fielding teams from the pool of 91/92 born, these kids were 6-7 years old when the Russian economy was at its lowest in 1998. Whereas Malkin/ Ovechkin were still enjoying the good of what was left from the soviet times in the early 90's- I know as I am their age and was there myself at the time, most Sports were extremely cheap, if not free! to join. Almost all the families could afford them. Now its completely different.

Ah, OK. This explains something. The Russian hockey development system hit the rock bottom in 1997-2000, and the current WJC players started their hockey careers during this period.

I assume that the situation is better today than it was in those years, so we can expect better Russian age groups in the future?

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
90-s were total blackout for Russia in every aspect of life!
Yep, those "democratic" years of 1990's... Boris Yeltsin boozing in Kremlin, the "human rights activist" Mikhail Khodorkovsky sending his Kavkaz goons to invade oil fields by force, another "human rights activist" Boris Berezovsky selling weapons to Chechen rebels, Russian state defaulting due to unpaid loans... who wouldn't want to go back to those golden years?

Fulcrum

Let's take the 2003 WCJ team for example. Players in this team were born from 1983 to 1985. They were five or six year olds when the USSR collapsed. They spent the most crucial years of their hockey development in the early and middle 1990s, when Russia's economical situation was worse then ever before or after.

It is rather impressive that Russia was able to produce such a good WJC teams with players who spent their development time in the chaotic 1990's.

And this further should tell us that Russia's economic situation (which is actually rather good now) is not a reason why Russian hockey has been declining.

Soviet Union collapsed - yes! The hockey system, infrastructure, coaching, the cost structure, traditions, human dignity (corruption) did not simply COLLAPSE all in one day. In fact, when I was growing up in Russia in the early 90's, Sports is one of the few things that remained very strong and admirable. Coach expectations were very high. Malkin and Ovechkin themselves admitted that they have not reallly seen the corruption that is happening in kids' hockey today. I am 100% sure that economics is one of the main factors Russia is struggling today, it had a direct effect on the social structure which is changing the sports scene right now. I do think that in the long run its for the better though.

For example, I played basketball in Russia and went through the developement system in 1991-1996. The "OFP" as we called it, was a remainensce of the Soviet Overall Physical Preparation, and for 10-12 year olds the standards were very high. Such as being able to do a certain amount of push-ups sit-ups that had to be achieved. Or 5km run and so on... Way different from the western approach. In Russia we really didn't have "house leauges". You were there to develop either into a professional, or a well-accomplished athlete (regional level).

Nowadays these things are still there, but the kids don't HAVE to meet any standards, their parents just pay and they are on the 1st line.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Soviet Union collapsed - yes! The hockey system, infrastructure, coaching, the cost structure, traditions, human dignity (corruption) did not simply COLLAPSE all in one day. In fact, when I was growing up in Russia in the early 90's, Sports is one of the few things that remained very strong and admirable. Coach expectations were very high. Malkin and Ovechkin themselves admitted that they have not reallly seen the corruption that is happening in kids' hockey today. I am 100% sure that economics is one of the main factors Russia is struggling today, it had a direct effect on the social structure which is changing the sports scene right now. I do think that in the long run its for the better though.

For example, I played basketball in Russia and went through the developement system in 1991-1996. The "OFP" as we called it, was a remainensce of the Soviet Overall Physical Preparation, and for 10-12 year olds the standards were very high. Such as being able to do a certain amount of push-ups sit-ups that had to be achieved. Or 5km run and so on... Way different from the western approach. In Russia we really didn't have "house leauges". You were there to develop either into a professional, or a well-accomplished athlete (regional level).

Nowadays these things are still there, but the kids don't HAVE to meet any standards, their parents just pay and they are on the 1st line.

this...it took a while for everything to collapse...especially in marquee sports. But for example I did crew in the 93-95 years - it was awful...during late 80's they started building a NT base in my hometown - and as the country collapsed they just dropped it...The ruins stood there for years, the boats were hand-me downs, that we had to repair ourselves, the only equipment we had is a bar with weights - no machines, no free weights...

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
hey do you guys know anything about Nikita Kucherov?

looking at the MHL stats from the past season, and he had 42 points in just 28 games. these are pretty good numbers compared to the other MHLers, but what gets me here is that he is only 17 years old while everyone who has scored more than him is a 19 year old.

hope he has some potential!

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com

Fulcrum

Good report Alessandro!

CSKA Red Army JR. this years has a really exciting team. The only thing better than their prospect line-up is the way they play. Having watched them, you can see the CSKA touch the way their game is organized. Lots of passing, combinations and skilled forwards. When the #5 joins the attack its like watching shades of Fetisov :)

sarie67

Oct 19, 2010
This is off topic a bit but I'm wondering if some Russian posters can help me out. The Russian Select 94 team will be coming to Sudbury on December 31st for an exhibition game against the Sudbury Nickel City Sons as a tune up for a following tournament I believe, I hope to see this game it will be played on an Olympic ice surface. Does anybody know the players to watch for on this Russian team? I think the team specifically is called 1994 Moscow Selects.

Wings, did you finally get to see the game? I did and it was a very entertaining game for the most part. The Russians came out hard and did display the skills they are known for but also took the body quite well. Although the Nickel City Sons are indeed a strong team, I thought the Russians would win more convincingly than 6-5. Plus, there was a disallowed Sons goal that clearly went in.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Yakushev72

In terms of decline of Russian performances in the past seven years in WJC, don't underestimate the gains that have been made by competitors like Canada, Sweden, US and even Finland. Except for Canada, the other 3 nations have developed national team development programs that have really improved the quality of their play, especially Sweden and US. Those nations weren't nearly as good or competitive with the big 2 (Russia and Canada) before they began special programs to develop national youth teams. They have had spectacular success since.

Canada didn't need a national development program, because they had 60 major junior teams competing in a high quality league where most teams play the same basic style. They could just sit back and pick the cream of the crop of 25 players for national youth teams. That approach works best for a nation that has a large hockey playing population where the goal is to develop the large available talent pool. Canada has 33 million people, whereas Sweden has 8 and Finland only 5 million. Russia has patterned its youth development program more after the Canadian model with a national junior league (32 teams) that has the potential capability to develop large numbers of talented players. Theoretically, the Russians could select a top-flight player for every roster spot.

The biggest thing the MHL could do, if it is successful, is to give Russian kids experience playing in competitive hockey situations. The lack of competitive experience really showed against Finland last night. Yes, the Russian team had more talented individuals than Finland (Kuznetsov, Tarasenko, Kitsyn), but the Finnish team looked like they knew what they wanted to do and did a better job of attacking and bottling the Russians up in their own zone. In my opinion, the lack of competitive experience is what makes the Russian defensemen look so lost and confused as to what to do at times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad