Olympics: Russia approves athletes competing under neutral flag, KHLers to play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Individual sports is one thing but what jerseys will they use? Team sports under neutral flag is kinda weird.

Reactions: Hagstrom

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The Russian team will play under the Olympic flag and should they win a medal, the Olympic anthem will be played.

KHL just announced via Russian media that they will not block players from going to the Olympics.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm confused.

So Russia was banned from participating in the Olympics, but they're allowing Russians to participate under a different flag? What's the point? If they are only barring athletes that have tested positive for illegal substances, why not allow them to participate under their own flag? I feel like I'm missing something.

Reactions: TychoFan and bert

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I'm confused.

So Russia was banned from participating in the Olympics, but they're allowing Russians to participate under a different flag? What's the point? If they are only barring athletes that have tested positive for illegal substances, why not allow them to participate under their own flag? I feel like I'm missing something.

It proves that the problem is not doping (sport) but the flag (politics).

Reactions: 278 others

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm confused.

It's because the IOC doesn't actually want to ban Russia from the Olympics but they feel they have to do something to try and demonstrate a hard line against doping, so it's a compromise that no one is happy with.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It's because the IOC doesn't actually want to ban Russia from the Olympics but they feel they have to do something to try and demonstrate a hard line against doping, so it's a compromise that no one is happy with.

So I'm right in how I'm interpreting this? The hard line was just allowing Russians to change clothing and a flag? Jeez.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I'm confused.

its step 6 in the handbook of " THE western conspiracy against russia", did you lose your copy ? What was the point in initially barring professionals then admitting them with open arms ? The IOC is letting players who represent a nation that the IOC believes participated in widespread systematic doping, because without the Russian players, the men's Olympic hockey final would be worse than the spangler cup and the IOC needs the eyeballs. so the ioc gets the talent ( for free) it draws the peepers but russia cannot trumpet their success because they officially didnt win anything.

so its a mild win for everyone.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Personally wish the KHL would have told the IOC to pound sand.

Maybe next Olympics IOC would play ball a bit given the quality of talent they would have gotten without the NHL and KHL.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
its step 6 in the handbook of " THE western conspiracy against russia", did you lose your copy ? What was the point in initially barring professionals then admitting them with open arms ? The IOC is letting players who represent a nation that the IOC believes participated in widespread systematic doping, because without the Russian players, the men's Olympic hockey final would be worse than the spangler cup and the IOC needs the eyeballs. so the ioc gets the talent ( for free) it draws the peepers but russia cannot trumpet their success because they officially didnt win anything.

so its a mild win for everyone.

Crap, I did lose mine. Dog must've tore it up!

Okay, glad I'm missing anything then and it's as ridiculous as I thought it was. Thanks guys!

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Personally wish the KHL would have told the IOC to pound sand.

Maybe next Olympics IOC would play ball a bit given the quality of talent they would have gotten without the NHL and KHL.

one can only hope, but one will likely be disappointed. The IOC will let the olympics burn to the ground before it shares dime one with the draw. That money is already slated for Graft ! without it there can be no graft ! what is the olympics without graft ?

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Iirc neutral teams/athletes have previously worn white with the Olympic Rings as the only decoration. Ode to joy has been the anthem played

Not very common, last would be in the 90’s with Yougoslav athletes during those wars and Barcelona 92 with South Africa..
Last Winter Olympics India sent neutral/independent athletes, and last Summer Olympics Kuwait sent neutral/independent athletes (one of which won Gold, and they played the "Olympic Hymn" as the anthem), and there was a whole Neutral Team dedicated to Refugees.

Macman

May 15, 2004
I'm confused.

The IOC is caught between a rock and a hard place. It can't legally ban athletes who've technically never tested positive, but it knows a lot of them were doping anyway simply because of the sheer scale of the coverup.

The Moscow lab was doing stuff as simple as recording positive tests in their database as negatives. It also swapped out dirty samples for clean, then destroyed 1,400 samples when the IOC demanded them. So how do you legally ban athletes when there is no physical proof of drugging? You can't, so I suspect the IOC came up with this half-assed punishment because it really couldn't do anything else. It's a public shaming, nothing more.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
This is Russia we're talking about... even if its a Neutral flag and all their athletes still compete, and Putin will still claim the win regardless. It's f***ing Putin lol

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
If you guys wan't more insight into how f***ed the Sochi games were watch the movie Icarus on Netflix. Their is no way to prove how many of the Russian Sochi athletes were doping, but its been said close to 99% were estimated. I work closely with the US olympic team in several ways and they were all surprised how much of a medal jump there was for Russia in the past 12-16 years. Its documented that some of the Russian hockey team is included.

Russia is incredibly corrupt in sports and the doping world unfortunately. In the US its not much different but its monitored much closer. The Nike/Oregon project has been rumored to have similar methods, but instead of actually doping they push the lines as close as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce