Russia and the lazy myth.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Yes he is. He was born in the Soviet Union to Russian parents. Look at his last name. Just because he plays for the Finnish National Team doesn't mean he can't also be Russian. Dual citizenship... it's a thing people.

Who cares? Even if it were true that Russians are lazy (which I disagree with), Komarov is culturally Finnish. Heck, he is even part of the Swedish-Speaking Finnish minority.

I doubt anyone would suggest that Russians are lazy by some ethnic or genetic factor. Therefore, Komarov having Russian blood should not factor in to this discussion. He grew up in Finland and identifies as Finnish.

EDIT:

Oh, and btw, just checked. His father isn't even ethnically Russian. Ingrian Finnish.

Last edited:

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
Who cares? Even if it were true that Russians are lazy (which I disagree with), Komarov is culturally Finnish. Heck, he is even part of the Swedish-Speaking Finnish minority.

I doubt anyone would suggest that Russians are lazy by some ethnic or genetic factor. Therefore, Komarov having Russian blood should not factor in to this discussion. He grew up in Finland and identifies as Finnish.

EDIT:

Oh, and btw, just checked. His father isn't even ethnically Russian. Ingrian Finnish.

Another example of the same thing: both of Aleksander Barkov's parents are Russian, but he was born in Finland and plays for Finland internationally. Last I checked nobody thinks Barkov is a lazy player, even though he's genetically Russian.

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
Another example of the same thing: both of Aleksander Barkov's parents are Russian, but he was born in Finland and plays for Finland internationally. Last I checked nobody thinks Barkov is a lazy player, even though he's genetically Russian.

Alex Galchenyuk, anyone?

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
That gif is complete BS. What it doesn't show is how far Ovi was from the play. There were 4 Caps player against 3 Rangers and they let that happen.

It's clear from the speed that he stopped skating long before. If he had taken his last stride the moment he comes into the picture it would've been ok.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Russkies aren't lazy, they just hang to themselves a bit more and are...not introverted, just introspective. That doesn't fit the Canadian media yob narrative who paint them as lazy and so on. When you're slowing the game down you look "lazy".

Kovalev was awesome though, miss him in Ottawa. :cry:

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
I also think this reputation has been perpetuated by a higher proportion of the Russian players today being scoring line forwards while all the would-be 3rd/4th liners stay in the KHL. People are much less likely to throw laziness or other similar types of character criticisms to such players, even if they're a much better fit for such a description than Kovalev or Semin. I don't remember anyone calling Oleg Saprykin lazy.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Count me among those who will defend Kovalev on this. The guy wasn't even really inconsistent in a sense that he was constantly playing the same game/tricks over and over. The effort and the talent were there, the hockey sense was not. Some nights it worked, some it didn't. That style often rendered him pretty much unnoticeable unless he showed up on the score sheet. But to me he never came off as lazy or inconsistent in his effort level.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Semin is the most disrespected player in the world. The dude is an elite 2 way forward while having the most elite wrist shot in NHL history. People who call him lazy or terrible in the defensive end, simply don't understand the sport of hockey.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Man imagine watching two Russian teams. Be like waching paint dry

jacko23

Lurkers unite!
Jul 8, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
Semin is the most disrespected player in the world. The dude is an elite 2 way forward while having the most elite wrist shot in NHL history. People who call him lazy or terrible in the defensive end, simply don't understand the sport of hockey.

Kessel has a pretty damn elite wrist shot as well. we could argue all day about whos actually better though. especially dat release!

i get it now. great wrister = lazy.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
This thread screams...

Pat Foley is insufferable. I can't stand his stupid voice. I wonder how he feels about the 3 Russians on the Hawks roster (Anisimov, Panarin, Tikhonov).

It's clear from the speed that he stopped skating long before. If he had taken his last stride the moment he comes into the picture it would've been ok.

Well, he was waiting for a breakout pass that never came. 4 Caps in the zone against 3 Rags and the Rags came up with it. Johansson bumps into Backstrom like a moron, taking both of them out of the play and allowing the give and go to start.

Kessel has a pretty damn elite wrist shot as well. we could argue all day about whos actually better though. especially dat release!

i get it now. great wrister = lazy.

Kessel uses a snap shot, Semin uses a wrist shot. It's completely different. Kessel has a quicker release and Semin has more power.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I also think this reputation has been perpetuated by a higher proportion of the Russian players today being scoring line forwards while all the would-be 3rd/4th liners stay in the KHL. People are much less likely to throw laziness or other similar types of character criticisms to such players, even if they're a much better fit for such a description than Kovalev or Semin. I don't remember anyone calling Oleg Saprykin lazy.

Yep, people rave about a guy like Kulemin being a 'stereotypical Canadian forward from Russia' or words to that accord, (and he is, if he was called Nick Cooper from Elk Point, Maple Creek, Gimli or Thunder Bay he would be Don Cherrys favourite player.) but the KHL is full of players in his mould, albeit not as good.

Heck, the Flyers two Russian forward prospects, Fazleev and Vorobyov, are both gritty, hard working guys who are great two way and project as 3rd liners if they hit.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
They aren't lazy, just that they all want to be the star players. That's why Russia has been struggling at Olympic hockey because they have no defense and sub par goaltending. All Russians want to be forwards. :shakehead

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Lately, I've read that Kovalev was lazy on the poll board, then I read that Kostitsyn was lazy on the Habs board and that Semin was lazy on the Habs board also...

I was thinking, these guys clearly aren't high motor players (Gallagher style.), but can they be considered lazy? Clearly, I doubt that.

Where does the lazy russian myth, that sticks to EVERY russian, comes from ? I mean, who was the last lazy russian ? They surely have an unconditional love for their mother land and most of them would rather be there. A lot of the don't do well in the NA culture, they have a hard time picking up the language and they usually bolt to Russia right when the season stops.

Where did the lazy myth come from ? Is there even such thing as a "lazy russian" currently playing, or that has played in the NHL ?

Regarding Kovalev, "lazy" was a less applicable term than "Martian." Tireless fitness guy. On his own planet during games.

Makarov could theoretically be described as lazy, I would think.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
They aren't lazy, just that they all want to be the star players. That's why Russia has been struggling at Olympic hockey because they have no defense and sub par goaltending. All Russians want to be forwards. :shakehead

There's a lot of good Russian goaltenders. They're in a weak period for Defensemen.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

*was

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Varlamov and Bobrovsky aren't sub par goalies. Bobs won the Vezina FYI.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
I always thought the kovalev was inconsistent and lazy comments to be laughable when he was on the habs. sure, he could have had a much better career early on with the skills that he had, there is no denying that. When you see a guy skilled like that, you wonder how he doesn't break 80 pts every year.

But we got him at his mid 30's if I'm not mistaken, and two years later he still carries our offense on his back at 35+ , racking up 84 pts in the process. You had kovalev and markov and that was it ... no need for PP coaches ... just shove any player sourray,streit,bergeron,wiz,schneider ... and that player's point total tripled. Habs were highly depressing in the early 2000's ... but even with our bad team we knew we were a PP away from a goal. That probably also contributed to people thinking the habs had wayyyy more PP than they actually had.

So yeah not going judge a player from his days with the rangers, but for what he brought to the table as a veteran for the habs, it was quite a treat to watch. His power and dekes for his age ... it was unreal. But still, people laid the blame on a 35 year old for almost every regular season loss we had, while we had a bunch of fit mid 20's players partying and abusing drugs walking around on st-laurent until 4 o clock every time their schedule allowed. weird times.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Heh heh, i like the way you talk THE HOFF, homing on reality.

Gods! (i'm for all of them even if i don't believe in any of them), if i travel to mother Russia, will i become, like, lazy?, by magic?

Seriously though that hockey stereotype has got to stop.

As for Kovy, he wasn't lazy as much as misadapted, trying to hold on da puck to death & all, the league went by him, he missed the train, holding on the past, a beautiful way to play but... Innefective.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
There's a lot of good Russian goaltenders. They're in a weak period for Defensemen.

Even defensemen are pretty good... Markov is still a number one D on many teams in the league, Voynov was/is??? probably their best D, Tyutin is awesome, Volchenkov was awesome, Gonchar was a top 3 D in his time and was still pretty good until last year, Emelin is a top 4 D, etc. Surely they're not Canada strong, but who is ? US have McDonagh, Carlson, Shattenkirk, Yandle and Suter. Is this better ? Yes, but I don't think there's that much separation.

Russia is the 4th best team as for D's.

This is ridiculous. Bobrovsky is a top 3 goalie in the league, Varlamov top 10, Vasilevsky is the best goaltending prospect in the league, they've had the best goaltender ever in Tretiak. It's clear Russia is the best goaltending wise after Canada, both now and historically. With Finland a close third.

Heh heh, i like the way you talk THE HOFF, homing on reality.

Gods! (i'm for all of them even if i don't believe in any of them), if i travel to mother Russia, will i become, like, lazy?, by magic?

Seriously though that hockey stereotype has got to stop.

As for Kovy, he wasn't lazy as much as misadapted, trying to hold on da puck to death & all, the league went by him, he missed the train, holding on the past, a beautiful way to play but... Innefective.

Inefective ? 1000 Points, cup, more highlights reel play than anyone not named Mario..

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Inefective ? 1000 Points, cup, more highlights reel play than anyone not named Mario..
Maybe i wasn't clear enough... Kovy rocked but at the end, it wasn't that he was lazy in my book, he just played a game that wasn't adapted to modern hockey anymore.

Long live the Kovynator! :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad