Russia and the lazy myth.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Spot on. Just because they look lazy to an observer, doesn't mean they are. As for controller disconnected gifs, finding such occurrences doesn't really prove the point, because I'm sure you could find something similar for every player.
I don't think that's the reason at all. Datzyuk is probably THE player that makes everything look easy, yet nobody is calling him lazy.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Nationalities aren't lazy. There are countless examples of hard-working Russian players and countless examples of lazy players of other nationalities.

Individual players are lazy. Whether they're Russian, Canadian, American, Finnish, etc., the fault lies on the individual for not playing up to their potential (which is usually what people mean when they say lazy).

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I'll put it this way - truly lazy Russians never make it to the NHL. If you achieved an elite status, you can't be lazy simply because you have to sacrifice so much to be on that level of play.

There are plenty of players (not specific to Russians) that have made it to the NHL with all the talent in the world but poor work ethic and/or discipline.

To suggest that every player who makes the NHL automatically has great work ethic is silly. You can go a long way on talent. There probably aren't any lazy Hall of Famers, but there have certainly been NHLers who weren't motivated to be the best they could be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->