Player Discussion: Ruslan Iskhakov

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Wow . . . we drafted three of his Top 20 players! Let's hope he knows what he's talking about!

Don't get your hopes up..

"29. Lukas Dostal – Hey look! I actually have a goalie in the top 31! Dostal is by far the best goalie in the draft and I think he rightfully deserves a spot this high. This is certainly a weak goalie draft, but I still see him as a standout player. Goalies are hard to call, but I like Dostal’s odds."

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
At the moment, I'm no big fan of the selection of Iskhakov. He looks interesting, but he reminds me of Cammarata and Kabanov. The pick is such a high risk - high reward selection.

I just noticed our lack of center prospects in the system. It seems like our best center prospect is Blade Jenkins. We got more than 15 better prospects than Blade Jenkins according to our own rankings.

The Islanders could have drafted a center with the 43th pick - and it was plenty of talent left on the boards. Such as Jacob Olofsson and Akil Thomas. Instead our management decided to pick another RW. They already have two high-class RW prospects in Josh Ho-Sang and Oliver Wahlstrom.

Well, hopefully Iskhakov is going to have a monster season at UConn and change my opinion about the pick.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Lets not call this Garth Snow’s draft regardless what happens. This is clearly LL first draft with the Islanders. It wasn’t like he was walking into the draft without a clue. He knew what was out there and was the ultimate decision maker even if Snow and the scouting staff were pushing for this player which we also don’t know.

I like all our picks at this point in time because LL made them.

Knowing Islander fans this will be LL's draft for the one's who succeed, and the one's who bust it will be one of Garth Snow's last mistakes.

Reactions: IODCPiper

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
At the moment, I'm no big fan of the selection of Iskhakov. He looks interesting, but he reminds me of Cammarata and Kabanov. The pick is such a high risk - high reward selection.

I just noticed our lack of center prospects in the system. It seems like our best center prospect is Blade Jenkins. We got more than 15 better prospects than Blade Jenkins according to our own rankings.

The Islanders could have drafted a center with the 43th pick - and it was plenty of talent left on the boards. Such as Jacob Olofsson and Akil Thomas. Instead our management decided to pick another RW. They already have two high-class RW prospects in Josh Ho-Sang and Oliver Wahlstrom.

Well, hopefully Iskhakov is going to have a monster season at UConn and change my opinion about the pick.

I feel like I remember reading somewhere shortly after the draft that Jenkins projects to be a LW at the pro level. The center position was not completely omitted at this past draft.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
I feel like I remember reading somewhere shortly after the draft that Jenkins projects to be a LW at the pro level. The center position was not completely omitted at this past draft.

Oh, it means that Pivonka is our best, and only center prospect (if we don't include AHL players like St. Denis, Stevens and Eansor). I guess it also means that the Islanders will draft two centers in the first rounds next year.

JPIsles21

Jul 9, 2006

Generally, drafting for positional need isn't a good idea. Pronman was extremely high on Iskhakhov, having him as a mid first round talent. He is an elite playmaker, and one of the youngest players in the draft. He's also likely 2-4 years away given his size. The Isles swung for the fences with their first 4 picks. That is exactly what you want your team to do. Furthermore, as we have seen with a bunch of our prospects, just because a player is a Center in junior, does not mean that will translate into a center in the NHL. This was an excellent draft for the Isles. Now they need to focus on development. All 4 of our top picks have the ability to be impact players.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
If you want to draft for need I can see it in round 1 to a degree, but round 2? Take who you like the most - they apparently liked Iskhakov the most at that spot. Let's see what the kid becomes.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Generally, drafting for positional need isn't a good idea. Pronman was extremely high on Iskhakhov, having him as a mid first round talent. He is an elite playmaker, and one of the youngest players in the draft. He's also likely 2-4 years away given his size. The Isles swung for the fences with their first 4 picks. That is exactly what you want your team to do. Furthermore, as we have seen with a bunch of our prospects, just because a player is a Center in junior, does not mean that will translate into a center in the NHL. This was an excellent draft for the Isles. Now they need to focus on development. All 4 of our top picks have the ability to be impact players.

We already had Wahlstrom in our pocket when we took Ishkakov, we did hedge our bets. The kid is super skilled and is an elusive skater. I can understand the gamble.

Even with Wilde, he was another hedging of bets with Dobson in the fold.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Iskhakov is definitely my fav. islander prospect who is a "project", his potential ceiling is so high.

I am quite happy with selecting him (as well as Wilde) after the safe Wahlstrom and Dobson picks

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I have my eye on this kid as well. Looks to have some soft mitts. If anything would like to have bragging rights with the raggies that we took the better russian in the 2018 draft. Boy that would sting for them eh?

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
I’m still not crazy about this pick especially with players like Jake wise or some
Other center still on the board

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
When he gets to UConn in the fall we will get a much better idea of where he is actually at. He needs to grow a couple of inches still, but one can't teach talent.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Kind of resembles a former Isles back in the late 90's whom I believe was a 2nd round pick as well. That kid was a tiny Euro as well but just put up a ton of points wherever he played. Played the off wing and had great edges and quickness with soft mitts and a great snapper whom was not blazing fast. It's a reach but if he becomes half of #68 then we have a player I guess....

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Kind of resembles a former Isles back in the late 90's whom I believe was a 2nd round pick as well. That kid was a tiny Euro as well but just put up a ton of points wherever he played. Played the off wing and had great edges and quickness with soft mitts and a great snapper whom was not blazing fast. It's a reach but if he becomes half of #68 then we have a player I guess....

Palffy was 178cm, this guy is 172cm. If you thought Palffy was tiny this guy is borderline midget then....

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think the game is gravatating towards skill, speed, and hockey IQ, For this reason I like this pick. Someone mentioned Jack Wise as being a possible pick when Isles picked. I like him too, and honestly I knew more about Jack than Rusian before the Isles made this pick. But watching this kid's tape, and his skill. I am liking how the Isles went slightly off the board here. To me this is a scout's pick, and Lou may have had some info on him before coming to the Isles. I have no way of confirming this, but I think going up to get him in the 2nd rd The Isles may have beaten the Leafs to the punch as this is a player they like to take. We will see but he looks like a neat little player.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Palffy was 178cm, this guy is 172cm. If you thought Palffy was tiny this guy is borderline midget then....
find it hard believe (eye test) Palffy was 178cm but I get it. Mats Zuccarello is listed at 173 cm I believe so it's not out of the question the kid can hang with the NHL size wise barely. Will his skills translate? time will tell

Reactions: LeapOnOver

scott99

May 13, 2005

I liked Akil Thomas. I too wasn’t thrilled with Iskhakov, but what’s done is done. My thoughts were, if you were gonna go with a Russian, Kirill Marchenko was definitely higher ranked at that draft slot (went 49th) as was Ivan Morozov. Also liked Benoit-Olivier Groulx at 43, he went 54th.

Just hope he winds up being worth the pick. He was the only head scratcher in the whole draft for the Isles. So that’s a pretty good sign. Got some GREAT value throughout the draft with Pivonka and Jenkins, both rated higher than where they were selected.

Reactions: Wanderson

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He needs to improve his speed. I’m more concered about that than his size.

He’s always going to be small, but he has to be faster to play his game at the pro level in my opinion.

Reactions: duster19

crasherino

May 9, 2013
To me, size is more of an issue when it comes to defensemen as opposed to forwards. A guy like Aho may struggle to move a big forward (A Backes or Getzlaf type) from the front of the net. That's a real concern and a drawback when grading/rating a defenseman. A small forward who can create, however, doesn't necessarily have that concern. Granted, I don't want a team - or even a line - comprised of three midgets, but if a guy has legit skill in all other facets, I'm not too worried about his height/weight measurables.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
find it hard believe (eye test) Palffy was 178cm but I get it. Mats Zuccarello is listed at 173 cm I believe so it's not out of the question the kid can hang with the NHL size wise barely. Will his skills translate? time will tell
The biggest thing that confuses me in this thread is since when did we start using CM in America?

Reactions: mm11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad