Player Discussion: Ruslan Iskhakov

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
It seems to me he had a low spot in the "insider" rankings because he was underscouted. I, like many others, scratched my head and went "who?" when the pick was made.

The insiders who do pay attention seem to be raving about his offensive skills. People call this a Snow pick because of the size, but I see it more as a sleeper Toronto had identified. Dubas or Hunter found this kid and had penciled in to take him at #52, but Lou decides to grab him at #43 instead. Toronto's scouts can't get enough of high-skill Europeans early in the draft, and he fits that mold perfectly.
When he was drafted i was pretty happy as i knew he was but i didn't think he would get picked this high mainly because if his size. Like you said i don't think they thought he would be available where they picked in the third round so they took him a bit higher then expected.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
When he was drafted i was pretty happy as i knew he was but i didn't think he would get picked this high mainly because if his size. Like you said i don't think they thought he would be available where they picked in the third round so they took him a bit higher then expected.

It's also about how you utilize your other picks. Most people easily consider Wahlstrom, Dobson, and Wilde BPA in their respective draft spots, restocking the system with two potential top pair defenseman and a 1st line forward. You can afford to use a 2nd taking a skilled forward you believe fell through the cracks with a lot of scouts.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
It's also about how you utilize your other picks. Most people easily consider Wahlstrom, Dobson, and Wilde BPA in their respective draft spots, restocking the system with two potential top pair defenseman and a 1st line forward. You can afford to use a 2nd taking a skilled forward you believe fell through the cracks with a lot of scouts.

Wahlstrom and Dobson were no brainer picks that fell into our lap. Two of the finest at their respective positions that was the strength of the class.

Wilde was great value, but you can take a risk with him with Dobson in your back pocket. While Ishtar was a bigger swing, it's much easier to digest when you have Wahlstrom (and Bellows to a degree) already in the fold.

I hope it works out, but I won't crucify the staff for taking this chance. The kid has insane skill, his skating is light years better than Cammaratta's was. We already have Golyshev, hedge our bets with another Russian mini-mite wild card.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I thought players were only eligible for that loophole if they played elsewhere in their D+1 season before entering college?

That’s what I was looking to get clarification on. I’m not familiar enough with the rules to know if his previous Russian league experience counted in any way.

scott99

May 13, 2005
After Wahlstrom, Dobson and Wilde you are gonna question this draft ? A draft where everyone proclaimed the Islanders were one of the top teams ? You may call it a Garth draft, but this draft definitely has the Lou effect on it. Where a Garth draft would have reached at 11 & 12, the Lou led Isles were smart and went with BPA at those slots. Same with Wilde at 41, a player I was thinking about for 12. It’s ok to go with the home run swing with Iskhakov.

One thing I like about him is, he’ll be stateside. Don’t have to worry about a Russian contract. Extremely talented, was he a reach ? yeah probably, but worth the gamble. Had a good U18 tournament. I preferred others, but I trust the scouts on this one.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
The league is trending to speed and skill. There is a premium on those 2 attributes much like the need for center depth. You draft the trend of speed or skill in any way possible no matter what size you get it in, especially if it is elite skill. There aren't a lot of Scott Stevens, Chris Prongers, Derian Hatchers skating in the NHL anymore, who played the physical game. Kids like this are meant to flourish in the league now. The kid is 18, going to the NCAA, he isn't playing for the Isles in the season opener, he will be able to develop and lets see what happens in a few years.

Reactions: IslandersFan17

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
The league is trending to speed and skill. There is a premium on those 2 attributes much like the need for center depth. You draft the trend of speed or skill in any way possible no matter what size you get it in, especially if it is elite skill. There aren't a lot of Scott Stevens, Chris Prongers, Derian Hatchers skating in the NHL anymore, who played the physical game. Kids like this are meant to flourish in the league now. The kid is 18, going to the NCAA, he isn't playing for the Isles in the season opener, he will be able to develop and lets see what happens in a few years.

Just as scotty mentioned, I am very happy he'll be playing college hockey at UConn. He'll be playing against big boys and we should get a pretty good idea how his skillset will translate to North America. We'll be able to monitor his development in HD. I know it's different now, but I can't help picturing this grainy secret footage of Russian hockey to get a look at him. The average Joe hockey fan doesn't have access to KHL feeds.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Zuccarello is a similar size and a similar style player (slippery, creative playmaker). He seems like the comparison and what you hope Iskhakov becomes.

Mavericknyc1980

Jul 14, 2006
Someone on here stated a Russian board member talked highly about Ruslan, can anybody put the link in here.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
You don't draft this guy in the 2nd. Not when Tyconic, Ginning, Olofson, etc.. are on the board. I just want to scream every draft at things like this. GS scouting staff reaching AGAIN. Sure, take a shot at this guy in the 4th if he is still there - I get that. Not in the second. Now I would give him about a 90% shot at being the next Camarrata, every undersized defensemen we drafted in last 10 years or Kirill.

I said in the Bode Wilde thread it wasn't so much that they took a chance on this guy as they seem to take a chance on both. Both have a glaring flaw and neither seemed like a safe pick to me. I would have gambled on one second round pick, not both. After it happens though you have to let it slide dude. Sit back and see if the gamble pays off. You could be completely wasting your breath and on your way to crow dinner if you keep it up. Fine that you don't agree with it but drop it down a notch unless you think crow is actually tasty, lol.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I forget what profile I read but the person said that his size was not a worry as much as many undersized guys are thriving. He said that he doesn't have that high gear of burst speed that make the smaller guys effective. So one flaw turns into two in this case. We'll see how he develops. Skating is something that can always be improved on.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
I said in the Bode Wilde thread it wasn't so much that they took a chance on this guy as they seem to take a chance on both. Both have a glaring flaw and neither seemed like a safe pick to me. I would have gambled on one second round pick, not both. After it happens though you have to let it slide dude. Sit back and see if the gamble pays off. You could be completely wasting your breath and on your way to crow dinner if you keep it up. Fine that you don't agree with it but drop it down a notch unless you think crow is actually tasty, lol.
IDK. Guys available in the 2nd round always have some kind of issue, some kind of risk. Or, if they're safe, it means they'll be a solid 3rd liner/3rd D pairing. I'd rather do what the Isles did, which is draft a guy with 1st round talent (top 6 forward/top 4 D talent) and hope they can overcome the risk. Get your 3rd/4th liners and bottom pairing defensemen in later rounds.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
I forget what profile I read but the person said that his size was not a worry as much as many undersized guys are thriving. He said that he doesn't have that high gear of burst speed that make the smaller guys effective. So one flaw turns into two in this case. We'll see how he develops. Skating is something that can always be improved on.
Supposedly his edgework/agility is high-end. His four way mobility was praised as outstanding. The description of his skating sounds exactly like Skinner's in his draft year. Top end speed can be improved in the gym and with skating work. I suspect skating won't hold him back.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
Proman had him highly rated.

Yep he had him 16 on his draft ranking ahead of dobson and wilde, his biggest weaknesses was that he didn't have blazing speed for a small guy but he did say it was above average. Pronman really focuses on skill on his draft rankings, but doesn't seem like a waste of a pick. Maybe we could have waited until the 3rd round for him but they probably really wanted a goalie prospect.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Lets not call this Garth Snow’s draft regardless what happens. This is clearly LL first draft with the Islanders. It wasn’t like he was walking into the draft without a clue. He knew what was out there and was the ultimate decision maker even if Snow and the scouting staff were pushing for this player which we also don’t know.

I like all our picks at this point in time because LL made them.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Passing by to tell that I really like this kid (and I' usually really skeptical about undersized prospects): great hockey IQ and possibly the fastest hands of this draft. Great playmaker: I remember the phrase that was told about him at the 5 Nations tournament by the local broatcast commentators - "he sees the ice better than we do from up here".

About the skating, in terms of lateral quickness and edgework it is very good, but in terms of top speed I think it is mediocre: I mean, it would be fine for a bigger guy, but you totally want to see smaller guy being faster.

Obvious issue is physicality and defensive play. Shot is not bad, but he needs to become a more consistent finisher, it's totally fixable.

And yes, in case you didn't find his thread at the prospects forum yet, it is here: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...naya-armiya-moscow-mhl-2018-63rd-nyi.2436773/, it is not big and there are a lot of highlight gifs that I can watch almost whole day (almost not exhaggerating), so go try it too.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
The following players are all listed at 5'9" or smaller and still had or are having good to great careers:

Tyler Johnson (5'8", 389g, 261p)
Tyler Ennis (5'9", 492g, 258p)
Martin St. Louis (5'8", 1134g, 1033p)
Brad Marchand (5'9", 602g, 459p)
Theo Fleury (5'6", 1084g, 1088p)
Cliff Ronning (5'8", 1137g, 869p)
Alex DeBrincat (5'7", 82g, 52p)
Yanni Gourde (5'9", 104g, 73p)

and the league seems to be getting smaller. I personally like this pick a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00