Player Discussion: Ruslan Iskhakov

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I remember seeing this kid at the under 18's and was amazed at his skill with the puck. I was hoping the islanders drafted him in the third round as that was the general consensus on where he would get drafted. Not sure where this his speed is average thing came from. Maybe not an elite skater but he definitely a good skater with elite stick handling skills. Size of course is the big question

Big Boss

Nov 17, 2013
He is so small. Hope he'll grow up to 175-177cm. In other case we'll never see this guy in the team.

bioman22

Jun 29, 2009
You don't draft this guy in the 2nd. Not when Tyconic, Ginning, Olofson, etc.. are on the board. I just want to scream every draft at things like this. GS scouting staff reaching AGAIN. Sure, take a shot at this guy in the 4th if he is still there - I get that. Not in the second. Now I would give him about a 90% shot at being the next Camarrata, every undersized defensemen we drafted in last 10 years or Kirill.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
You don't draft this guy in the 2nd. Not when Tyconic, Ginning, Olofson, etc.. are on the board. I just want to scream every draft at things like this. GS scouting staff reaching AGAIN. Sure, take a shot at this guy in the 4th if he is still there - I get that. Not in the second. Now I would give him about a 90% shot at being the next Camarrata, every undersized defensemen we drafted in last 10 years or Kirill.
They said the same about Gaudreau. Ruslan stock was rising fast and many scouts had his value between 2-3 rd. Sure the Isles reached but this was their guy. I believe they were initially targeting Berggren who is also undersized and picked way ahead of Ruslan. And when speaking of size look at Hughes.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Glad you know he would have been available in the fourth

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
They said the same about Gaudreau. Ruslan stock was rising fast and many scouts had his value between 2-3 rd. Sure the Isles reached but this was their guy. I believe they were initially targeting Berggren who is also undersized and picked way ahead of Ruslan. And when speaking of size look at Hughes.

The more and more I research this kid, the more intriguing he gets. For those that have seen him a lot, they rave about him.

He was a swing for the fences, I'm ok with it because we got such disgusting value from Wahlstrom, Dobson, and Wilde.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
The more and more I research this kid, the more intriguing he gets. For those that have seen him a lot, they rave about him.

He was a swing for the fences, I'm ok with it because we got such disgusting value from Wahlstrom, Dobson, and Wilde.

Pronman tweeted one of his favorites in this draft, but I still believe with so many other options on the board at 43 this was a huge reach.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I couldn't place the kid right after the pick was made, mainly because I don't pay much attention to Euros rated below the 2nd round. Then I go to see his Elite Prospects profile and notice I was on the link before (LOL). After seeing he played with CSKA I did remember him and pretty much never gave him much thought because of his size. I guess it's a decent risk to take considering the kids skill level..... I really wanted Gustafsson there though.

Edit: He didn't play for CSKA, I must have seen him in the U18

Last edited:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
He's going to play hockey at University of Connecticut next year.

This to me is very interesting decision. I like it...

Shorter season, more time to workout.

Acclimate to N/A life

Can earn tons of playing time on a smaller program

A willingness to step out of a typical path to the NHL (at least for a Russian)

One concern, does he become an UFA after four years in college? Would hate to see the Isles help develop him for the Rangers.

bioman22

Jun 29, 2009
Glad you know he would have been available in the fourth

Please read again, "if he is there - I get that." My point is you dont take a shot at a guy in the 2nd who 10 days ago ranked in 5th round. It was too much reach for my tastes and my other point this seems to happen a lot with GS scouting. They reach every year, then that pick fades into time. Also to the background that "Wilde" is a bit of a wild card already taken.

Last edited:

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Please read again, "if he is there - I get that." My point is you dont take a shot at a guy in the 2nd who 10 days ago ranked in 5th round. It was too much reach for my tastes and my other point this seems to happen a lot with GS scouting. They reach every year, then that pick fades into time. Also to the background that "Wilde" is a bit of a wild card already taken.
That's pretty contradictory, "if he is still there" meaning someone else would take him before us? In turn proving that he was going to go higher than projected. Which, could leave the islanders missing out on a prospect they obviously feel very strong about.

I mean this is vastly different than the NFL where we have more access to these prospects.

Other than that going off of the media's rankings as gospel in regards to these guys is a little silly. Especislly since I highly doubt anyone watched this kid outside of YouTube highlights.

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
One concern, does he become an UFA after four years in college? Would hate to see the Isles help develop him for the Rangers.

I thought players were only eligible for that loophole if they played elsewhere in their D+1 season before entering college?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

Very shifty and goes to the dirty areas

Zuccarello-ish

What I really like about that highlight video is how fast he gets off BOTH the shot and the pass! Doesn't try to hold the puck and make the perfect pass, just finds the man and gets him the puck quickly.

Reactions: Macch

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
What I really like about that highlight video is how fast he gets off BOTH the shot and the pass! Doesn't try to hold the puck and make the perfect pass, just finds the man and gets him the puck quickly.
The vision is pretty darn good. I mean, for a smaller guy to see the ice the way he does, very entertaining. The shifty change of direction and ability to make those plays... very enticing.

I think how he develops at Uconn will be fun for fans to watch.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I'm sure he was the next name on their list and they didn't think he'd be there when their next turn came up. Therefore, you have to take him there.

I read somewhere that (in the writer's opinion) he was the most skilled Russian in the draft. Considering Kravtsov and Denisenko, that's pretty high praise. And most reports rave about his skill level. And even if he doesn't grow at all, 5'8" is not too short for an NHL forward (how many 5'10" or 5'11" defensemen were taken?). The thing is that he apparently has extremely high end thinking and edgework. Those two things make a player elusive (worked for Gretzky - not comparing!).

PDCIslander41

May 22, 2018
Hope he gets a couple inch growth spurt. As some say he might be only be 5'7. But I am really glad he is going to college at UConn. I really like this picks upside, and that it gives him and us time to start to utilize him.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I'm sure he was the next name on their list and they didn't think he'd be there when their next turn came up. Therefore, you have to take him there.

I read somewhere that (in the writer's opinion) he was the most skilled Russian in the draft. Considering Kravtsov and Denisenko, that's pretty high praise. And most reports rave about his skill level. And even if he doesn't grow at all, 5'8" is not too short for an NHL forward (how many 5'10" or 5'11" defensemen were taken?). The thing is that he apparently has extremely high end thinking and edgework. Those two things make a player elusive (worked for Gretzky - not comparing!).
One comparison i read after doing some more research was Cam Atkinson. I have seen him play twice but reading up some more apparently the kid is pretty stocky and is not afraid to mix it up in corners excellent compete level.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
reminds me of Mikael Granlund in his draft year. not big, not fast, extremely skilled with great vision and hockey sense. I think he's going to tear-up the NCAA (statistically)

we'll see what that means in 3 years

never a bad move to go for elite skill

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
reminds me of Mikael Granlund in his draft year. not big, not fast, extremely skilled with great vision and hockey sense. I think he's going to tear-up the NCAA (statistically)

we'll see what that means in 3 years

never a bad move to go for elite skill
Not great straight line speed but good he is very shifty though with excellent edge work. Not worried about his skating at all.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
It seems to me he had a low spot in the "insider" rankings because he was underscouted. I, like many others, scratched my head and went "who?" when the pick was made.

The insiders who do pay attention seem to be raving about his offensive skills. People call this a Snow pick because of the size, but I see it more as a sleeper Toronto had identified. Dubas or Hunter found this kid and had penciled in to take him at #52, but Lou decides to grab him at #43 instead. Toronto's scouts can't get enough of high-skill Europeans early in the draft, and he fits that mold perfectly.

Reactions: Brain Hemorrhage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad