GDT: Running Out of Ideas: Devils @ Sabres, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
I just don't understand how some people think goaltending doesn't matter. Or that goaltenders are around the same "skill level" and a good team with average goaltending will suffice.

Not every team has the talent of the Penguins or Capitals. You need good goaltending to make the playoffs (beyond the fact that both teams lost numerous playoff series because of either bad goaltending or good goaltending robbing them)

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
You put way too many pennies into SRS and talk about strength of schedule way too much.

thanks for the tip. but its that and the eye test. i already stated hasek was a legend. i stated the sabres werent that good. fine dont use srs. go by wins/losses go by GF/GA. the sabres werent great at all, they were hardly good but they werent this version of the devils bad!

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
If you only saw the first, you're in for a huge surprise.....

But the good news is, if you have watched other Devils games this season, you can probably guess very accurately what happened.... (without even reading the backlog)....

yea I can take a good guess :P

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I just don't understand how some people think goaltending doesn't matter. Or that goaltenders are around the same "skill level" and a good team with average goaltending will suffice.

Not every team has the talent of the Penguins or Capitals. You need good goaltending to make the playoffs (beyond the fact that both teams lost numerous playoff series because of either bad goaltending or good goaltending robbing them)

its not that it doesnt matter but look at the goalies around the league in free agency this year. look how volatile the 15-30th goalies are every year. its really hard to nail a great goalie and have him play consistently well for years.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ

Its definitely vitally important, and it's abundantly clear we are very bad in that department, but I refuse to sit here and say that we are a contender with a great goalie. We still dont have average defenders and aside from our 1st line and guys like Bratt and Coleman our forwards are below average also

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
This team really is pathetic. And IDC what anyone says. The coaching staff is absolutely a problem.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
I'm posting a lot but here's another pointer

Kinkaid looks really unprofessional when he moves. It's like he's a college level goalie. He doesn't have that "professional" flow to his game. He has great athleticism, but IMO teams are studying him and punishing his amateur looking style. I think he was good initially because he was an awkward goalie but coaches seem to have solved his style and are teaching the players where to shoot the puck against him.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
it'd be nice to see Hynes get angry
if Kathy Bates was coaching she wouldn't take any of this shit, we saw what she did when James Caan ****ed up her novel

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I'm posting a lot but here's another pointer

Kinkaid looks really unprofessional when he moves. It's like he's a college level goalie. He doesn't have that "professional" flow to his game. He has great athleticism, but IMO teams are studying him and punishing his amateur looking style. I think he was good initially because he was an awkward goalie but coaches seem to have solved his style and are teaching the players where to shoot the puck against him.

would love to hear your scouting report on schneider this year.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
you said 93-97! you were wrong just be like OK you know what 93-94 they were actually really good.
I said in some of those years and put it between those years.

The 93-94 team was probably their best though and they only had a -90 (I think? I looked at it 10 minutes ago) shot on goal differential, while the other teams were in the hundreds. So you're right, the 93-94 team wasn't that bad. I retract that.

The 94-95 team was a -180 in shot on goal differential. Remember that was a 48 game season. Probably would have been a -300-something in an 82 game campaign.

95-96 team was a -571

96-97 team was a GHASTLY -632

97-98 team was a -385

98-99 team was a -307

99-00 team was a +27

00-01 team (last year of Hasek in Buffalo) was a +12

So you're right, the 93-94 team wasn't bad. I would say the 94-99 teams weren't very good and a couple of were terrible, especially the 95-96 (non-playoff year) and 96-97 teams.

You know those teams that make the playoffs every year that do it for one year and the analytics crowd yells ''UNSUSTAINABLE!'' and they usually miss the next year? That was the Sabres pretty much every year in the last half of the 90's. And they only missed the playoffs once in that time.

Reactions: Sinter Klaas

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Its definitely vitally important, and it's abundantly clear we are very bad in that department, but I refuse to sit here and say that we are a contender with a great goalie. We still dont have average defenders and aside from our 1st line and guys like Bratt and Coleman our forwards are below average also

We do have very bad defenders. It's a big weakness.

I think we have a very underrated offense though. Palmieri scores goals at a 1st line rate, Hall is a superstar, Hischier is a borderline star. Then you got Bratt who plays so well, Coleman is a workhorse, Boyle is just a pure finisher and a smart player, Zajac and Zacha's 2 way game. I'm not worried about the offense besides a few kinks, goaltending and defense is so much of a bigger issue.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'll be honest though the amount of years Marty bailed us out we kinda deserve the karma of having bad goaltending

Tell that to the Packers who followed Favre with Rodgers and the Colts who followed Manning with Luck.

Reactions: Bleedred

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If you only saw the first, you're in for a huge surprise.....

But the good news is, if you have watched other Devils games this season, you can probably guess very accurately what happened.... (without even reading the backlog)....

You can say that again. I literally had not checked the score after the first till now.

What happened to Buffalo's popgun offense without Eichel and Skinner that was never going to score? Oh right Kinkaid and our glorious D.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I said in some of those years and put it between those years.

The 93-94 team was probably their best though and they only had a -90 (I think? I looked at it 10 minutes ago) shot on goal differential, while the other teams were in the hundreds. So you're right, the 93-94 team wasn't that bad. I retract that.

The 94-95 team was a -180 in shot on goal differential. Remember that was a 48 game season. Probably would have been a -300-something in an 82 game campaign.

95-96 team was a -571

96-97 team was a GHASTLY -632

97-98 team was a -385

98-99 team was a -307

99-00 team was a +27

00-01 team (last year of Hasek in Buffalo) was a +12

So you're right, the 93-94 team wasn't bad. I would say the 94-99 teams weren't very good and a couple of were terrible, especially the 95-96 (non-playoff year) and 96-97 teams.

You know those teams that make the playoffs every year that do it for one year and the analytics crowd yells ''UNSUSTAINABLE!'' and they usually miss the next year? That was the Sabres pretty much every year in the last half of the 90's. And they only missed the playoffs once in that time.

yo people are on me for SRS but the gold standard is shot differential? you said 93-97 and you were wrong, the sabres were only this version of the devils bad for one year and they didnt make the playoffs

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tell that to the Packers who followed Favre with Rodgers and the Colts who followed Manning with Luck.
Yup.

The Devils don't need a Marty-like legend to be good right now, but they need someone who isn't gonna allow 41 softies, which Kinkaid and Cory have combined for already this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad