Runblad, Cumiskey or pickem(IceHog)?

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Not exactly, the Hawks traded for Timonen when TVR went down a long time ago. Net, they've lost 1 defenseman. They gave ice to Runblad, Erixon, Cumiskey when they were previously down a defenseman. I suspect the two guys still on the roster with experience will get the nod.

Boston lost 3 defenseman they started the playoffs with. Completely different situation. They were dressing 3 rookie defenseman.

I don't watch the Hogs much. Cumiskey was given the best defenseman award by the coaches this year though. Maybe just the guy they prefer at this point.
The Cumiskey vote for "Best Defenseman" is an open joke amongst all IceHog fans and beat writers. There is absolutely 0 debate who the best defenseman on Rockford is. If there was it would be between Pokka and Johns not Cumiskey.

Xinji

Apr 27, 2014
Was hoping for Cumiskey, but probably will be Rundblad. Rundblad will just need to channel everything into his defensive play to be as strong as possible, rather than trying to insert offense like he did during the regular season and making defensive mistakes. I think the Hawks will be able to adjust to anyone that steps in.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
The Cumiskey vote for "Best Defenseman" is an open joke amongst all IceHog fans and beat writers. There is absolutely 0 debate who the best defenseman on Rockford is. If there was it would be between Pokka and Johns not Cumiskey.

"Best Defenseman" award might've been a joke.

He's a 5'10" 28 year old defenseman drafted in the 7th round and hadn't played in the NHL since 2011 until this year. There is no incentive to develop him. The fact that he was the only defenseman among the three to get NHL ice time this year is no joke to me. Someone clearly likes him.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
I think Timonen can eat up some more minutes. Give Rundbland a shot and if he does badly give Cumiskey a shot. Might need to bring up someone from the Hogs if they both fail, but I don't know how management wants to interfere with how the Hogs are doing in their first playoff run.

Last night he looked more comfortable than he ever has since he came here. I think he can handle the minutes.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Powers says watch to see if Johns is scratched in the RFD game tonight. I'm not sure I agree. I think they'd want him to play tonight to be extra sure if that was a decision being made.

unbridledid

Jun 8, 2011
Powers says watch to see if Johns is scratched in the RFD game tonight. I'm not sure I agree. I think they'd want him to play tonight to be extra sure if that was a decision being made.

I know I may sound paranoid, but if they want him up (and I think they do) no reason to risk a potential injury.

unbridledid

Jun 8, 2011
I don't think you sound paranoid at all. I completely agree he should sit out if the plan is to call him up.

Hell I thought I wasn't paranoid... thanks Kurt ! I have been pulling for the kid for the past couple of years. Hjammer came up in 09 late in the season and looked good in the playoffs... It can happen again, and the physical element he could add would be helpful...as long as he does so "responsibly".

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
No one is getting called up, Runblad is playing, I love how the ideas run wild. Runblad is not as bad as most people make him out to be, I think he is better than Slowminen and Rozy in every aspect of the game and half the age. Give the guy a chance, he had a good role going when he was given some consecutive games during the season then he got scratched again when slowminen arrived and the 40 years old has been nothing but pathetic. He is only playing over Runbad because Q feels bad for him and wants him to win a cup.

ToewsForDays

Feb 8, 2015
Rundblad will play the first game but most likely will be on a short leash. 2nd option would be Johns since he plays the right side on defense.

Ilrider

Mar 27, 2012
Chicago Burbs
No one is getting called up, Runblad is playing, I love how the ideas run wild. Runblad is not as bad as most people make him out to be, I think he is better than Slowminen and Rozy in every aspect of the game and half the age. Give the guy a chance, he had a good role going when he was given some consecutive games during the season then he got scratched again when slowminen arrived and the 40 years old has been nothing but pathetic. He is only playing over Runbad because Q feels bad for him and wants him to win a cup.

Yes, he is as bad as everyone is making him out to be, defensively. He has made horrible turnovers, horrible positioning errors that have caused goals, and he is not a good skater. He is not an NHL player in my mind, and I do not want him on that ice. The only redeeming quality is a decent shot, but he still does not score. I wish Stan had never acquired him. I wish we had better options for this series.

Last edited:

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
Someone please remind me but I seem to recall that when Cumiskey was sent to Rockford it was thought to be mainly because of cap reasons. He was playing well but had to move for other personnel to stay. Am I remembering right?

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
None of the options are very good. Kimmonen was serviceable against Wild, but they didn't really score all series so his sheltered minutes were sufficient.

Against Preds he had a lot of turnovers given his very limited ice time. I'm afraid that would be similar against Ducks. Increased minutes could prove disastrous.

Rundblad...is bad defensively. Why he couldn't be groomed a bit for a limited 6/7 roles with PP potential I'll never understand.

Johns...well he never got a shot so who knows.

Palliota...well his one shot wasn't great but too limited to draw any conclusions.

Pokka...see Johns.

Going forward it wouldn't be a bad idea to burn an Icehog roster spot with a Brookbank type as insurance.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
None of the options are very good. Kimmonen was serviceable against Wild, but they didn't really score all series so his sheltered minutes were sufficient.

Against Preds he had a lot of turnovers given his very limited ice time. I'm afraid that would be similar against Ducks. Increased minutes could prove disastrous.

Rundblad...is bad defensively. Why he couldn't be groomed a bit for a limited 6/7 roles with PP potential I'll never understand.

Johns...well he never got a shot so who knows.

Palliota...well his one shot wasn't great but too limited to draw any conclusions.

Pokka...see Johns.

Going forward it wouldn't be a bad idea to burn an Icehog roster spot with a Brookbank type as insurance.

That's Cumiskey for D, Regin for F.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
I said it in the GDT and I'll repeat it here.

Give Timonen a couple of more shifts a night and insert Cumiskey into the lineup. If LD vs. RD is truly a problem that they can't solve before the beginning of the CF with Cumiskey then I'd give the OK for someone else.

unbridledid

Jun 8, 2011

Johns played tonight.....Hogs lost 5-1.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Yes, he is as bad as everyone is making him out to be, defensively. He has made horrible turnovers, horrible positioning errors that have caused goals, and he is not a good skater. He is not an NHL player in my mind, and I do not want him on that ice. The only redeeming quality is a decent shot, but he still does not score. I wish Stan had never acquired him. I wish we had better options for this series.

His skating is no worse than Rozsival, and in addition to a good shot, he has better offensive instincts and a better first-pass out of the zone than anybody on the Blackhawks back end short of Keith and Seabrook.

His defensive play is flawed, no doubt. Which is why you only give him sheltered minutes.

Q sheltered the hell out of Rundblad all season. He still managed an average of 13 minutes a night. Between those 13 minutes and 10 minutes from Timo, that's all the minutes you need chewed up right there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad