Line Combos: Run the Draft Simulator - Give us your skeleton line up

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
Leafs
Oilers
Arizona
Cbj

As much happiness as seeing the leafs pick first would bring me I'd be so torn on who I'd take 1st
I wonder if the leafs could convince one of the other top 5 teams to trade their pick and we could steal say 1 and 5

Jvr Stamkos Nylander
Marner Matthews komarov
Lupul holland Leipsic
Brown gauthier kapenen

Rielly trouba
Gards hunwick
Loov Percy

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
The UFA status only determines which team he can sign with, but due to his age he is still need to sign a ELC with any team that does sign him.

ELC is based on your 1st NHL contract in combination with your age at the time of signing to determine the # of years in length your ELC would be.

Tyler Bozak in the past was a UFA signing by Leafs and his first deal was still a ELC contract for example and bound by the restrictions of the CBA.

Because of Article 8.6(c)(iv) of the NHL/NHLPA collective bargaining agreement (CBA), Vesey can withdraw from school following his senior season, but before graduation, and become an unrestricted free agent in August 15.

8.6 (c) (iv)

If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19, who had received a Bona Fide Offer in accordance with Section 8.6(a)(ii) above, becomes a bona fide college student prior to the second June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft and does not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the negotiation of his services until the later of:

a) the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft,

or (b) thirty (30) days after NHL Central Registry receives notice that the Player is no longer a bona fide college student;

provided that **IF** the Player ceases to be a bona fide college student on or after January 1 of an academic year and the Player:

(1) is in his fourth year of college and has commenced his fourth year of NCAA eligibility,

or (2) is in his fourth year of college and is scheduled to graduate from college at the end of his fourth year, then in the circumstances described in (1) or (2), the Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for such Player's services through and including the August 15 following the date on which he ceases to be a bona fide college student

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2013/6/7/4404684/nhl-cba-college-loophole-ncaa-change

lot's of legalese, but it is a sort of ELC but limited to a two year term but with incentives, if I read the Group 4 FA status correctly

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
So here goes:

Draft order goes as such:

1. Toronto
2. Columbus
3. Edmonton

Shanahan steps to the microphone/podium and announces "With the 1st overall pick in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft, the Toronto Maple Leafs are pleased to select ... Auston Matthews!"
With the pick from Pittsburgh, we select Logan Brown from the Windsor Spitfires.

Nylander - Matthews - Brown
JvR - Bozak - Kapanen
Lupul - Holland/Brown/Gauthier - Komarov
Leivo - Leipsic - Soshnikov

Rielly - Hunwick
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Harrington - Corrado
Percy

Reimer
Sparks

Kadri is traded during the offseason. I'm torn on Holland, so he gets 1st dibs at the 3C for now.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Leafs
Oilers
Arizona
Cbj

As much happiness as seeing the leafs pick first would bring me I'd be so torn on who I'd take 1st
I wonder if the leafs could convince one of the other top 5 teams to trade their pick and we could steal say 1 and 5

Jvr Stamkos Nylander
Marner Matthews komarov
Lupul holland Leipsic
Brown gauthier kapenen

Rielly trouba
Gards hunwick
Loov Percy

With your pick order, I don't think I'd lose any sleep trading #1 to Arizona for Strome + #3 and walking away with two top end assets.

Wils65

Feb 9, 2016
Bay Area, California
Wow! I got the Leafs first try.

Leafs take Matthews with the 1st overall
Trade Penguins 1st & Kadri to Vancouver - select Alexander Nylander at #7

JVR - Matthews - Komarov
Leivo - Nylander - Marner
Leipsic - Bozak - Mihalek
Holland - Froese - Winnik

Hunwick - Riley
Gardner - Zaitsev
Percy - Corrado
Marincin

Reimer
Bernier

Go ahead, tell me where I'm wrong.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Would suck if Edmonton picks 1st overall again

They disgust me no matter where they pick top 4. Either 1st OVA.... again. 1 of 2 sweet wingers to play with McDavid.... or finally, the true need, a D at 4. :help:

Anyways, I got the Leafs 1st OVA today.

Leafs
Edmonton
Columbus
Buffalo

We all know who that pick is.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
They disgust me no matter where they pick top 4. Either 1st OVA.... again. 1 of 2 sweet wingers to play with McDavid.... or finally, the true need, a D at 4. :help:

Anyways, I got the Leafs 1st OVA today.

Leafs
Edmonton
Columbus
Buffalo

We all know who that pick is.

It would be such an Oilers thing to do for them to end up picking 4 but they draft a winger over a D man. :laugh:

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
I ran it 10 times and Edmonton got the first 4 times and the second twice. I will literally throw up if Edmonton gets another 1st over all. How can this team continue to suck so badly.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
I ran it 10 times and Edmonton got the first 4 times and the second twice. I will literally throw up if Edmonton gets another 1st over all. How can this team continue to suck so badly.

Because everyone uses the ideology that they should always take the best player available instead of filling a team specific need.
However the thought process is flawed when u don't trade those bpa's to actually fix ur team.
Add that to the fact that it's Edmonton and they can't pay ufas enough to go there and u get the constant top 3 picks.
They have had more top 3 picks then any team since the 90's by a mile

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Draft Order

1 Columbus Blue Jackets
2 Colorado Avalanche
3 Toronto Maple Leafs
4 Edmonton Oilers
5 Buffalo Sabres
6 Winnipeg Jets
7 Calgary Flames
8 Vancouver Canucks
9 Montreal Canadiens
10 Arizona Coyotes
11 Ottawa Senators
12 Carolina Hurricanes
13 New Jersey Devils
14 Philadelphia Flyers

Puljujarvi get your ass to chrana :yo:

Macman

May 15, 2004
I just ran it 17 times and Oilers won eight times. Just like real life!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Ran it 1000 times yesterday, and once today. Today I got:

Columbus
Ottawa
Buffalo
Edmonton
Toronto

Brutal

I ran it today and got Ottawa, Columbus, Edmonton.

I ran it 10X in a row and got Leafs 2nd X 1 and 3rd X 1 only among those 10 runs.

We should start figuring out who we should take in the #4/5 hole.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Just ran it. Leafs 5th.

If this happens on lottery day, I may pull a Kramer and visit a random university's computer lab and smash all of the computers.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Wow! I got the Leafs first try.

Leafs take Matthews with the 1st overall
Trade Penguins 1st & Kadri to Vancouver - select Alexander Nylander at #7

JVR - Matthews - Komarov
Leivo - Nylander - Marner
Leipsic - Bozak - Mihalek
Holland - Froese - Winnik

Hunwick - Riley
Gardner - Zaitsev
Percy - Corrado
Marincin

Reimer
Bernier

Go ahead, tell me where I'm wrong.
Seems like a huge gamble to make that trade irl, I wonder how many other leafs fans would do the same? Probably a fair amount. Pretty scary.
Kadri is already a quality nhl player, bonifide 2C who would be close to ppg if not for the ridiculously unlucky streak at the start of season. Alex Nylander could bust and Pens 1st could end up being the next Giroix. Incredibly risky trade that could end up being the worst in leafs history

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Seems like a huge gamble to make that trade irl, I wonder how many other leafs fans would do the same? Probably a fair amount. Pretty scary.
Kadri is already a quality nhl player, bonifide 2C who would be close to ppg if not for the ridiculously unlucky streak at the start of season. Alex Nylander could bust and Pens 1st could end up being the next Giroix. Incredibly risky trade that could end up being the worst in leafs history

Whoa Nelly!

Please take a moment to read through the Leafs' horrifying trade history.

There are some colossally bad trades, trades that even if Kadri went on to win 4+ Rocket Richard AND Selke trophies, along with a pair of Conn Smythe's and 3 Cup rings, would STILL make a trade involving Kadri+ for bust NOT THE WORST TRADE IN LEAFS HISTORY.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad