Speculation: Rumours & Trade & Free Agent Discussion 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What’s more reasonable or unreasonable?

Asking people to give their opinion on who, with their limited knowledge, would they like to see hired as a coach/players traded for?

Or

People making generic comments like hire someone or make trades to improve the team with zero additional context or opinion given. Then refuse to comment when asked to explain.

I mean isn’t this a hockey discussion forum, you know where we “discuss things”? No discussion can be had with throw away mindless posts like “he sucks”, “just hire someone else”, “make trades to improve the team”........I mean use Twitter if you want to make mindless throw away comments. The point here is to discuss subjects/ideas.

I find it odd that the most vocal people for change on this forum, seem to be the quietest when you actually ask them for a detailed opinion or suggestion. Leads me to believe they have no idea how to improve the team and are just frustrated fans. Being a frustrated fan is fine, just say you have no clue how to fix things but you’re frustrated.

You didn't ask people to discuss possible coaching candidates. You demanded they be able to name a viable replacement or else abandon their call for a change. Night and day.

Some aspects of possible improvement I have alternatives to suggest. Replacement coaches I do not. I doubt there are many here who would have much specific knowledge on that.

Reactions: hn777 and Gm0ney

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
OMG, I thought I had lost my pessimism for good. So glad to see that you found it. I'm happy to offer a reward for its safe return. :laugh:

I'm pinning all my hopes now on the possibility that Maurice hasn't signed an extension because he is looking to move onto new opportunities after this year and save this organization from itself. Having said that, the two guys responsible for Maurice overstaying his welcome will still be here and tasked with finding the next coach, and that doesn't give me cause for optimism. Who would I like to see? Well, if Tampa continues to underachieve and their management takes the nuclear option and blows up the coaching staff, I would be going after Cooper. I think we have enough developing pieces to make the Jets an attractive destination for him, but I expect there will be much competition and money does a lot of talking.

This is my pessimism. Get your own. :laugh:

I just can't see Chevy firing Maurice barring a complete meltdown. Not for the reasons I want to see him gone. I expect Chevy fully approves of Maurice's player usage. And so far, the on-ice results are probably within the expected range.

I have a good impression of Cooper. But then I've had good impressions of several coaches who have not been all that successful or who appear to share Maurice's general coaching style. My hope would be for a coach more suited to the Jets roster. Who that might be I have no idea. At the very least, I would like a coach who can recognize when something is not working and make changes.

Reactions: surixon

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
This is my pessimism. Get your own. :laugh:

I just can't see Chevy firing Maurice barring a complete meltdown. Not for the reasons I want to see him gone. I expect Chevy fully approves of Maurice's player usage. And so far, the on-ice results are probably within the expected range.

I have a good impression of Cooper. But then I've had good impressions of several coaches who have not been all that successful or who appear to share Maurice's general coaching style. My hope would be for a coach more suited to the Jets roster. Who that might be I have no idea. At the very least, I would like a coach who can recognize when something is not working and make changes.
Enough of this mindless posting. Provide a list or gee-tee-eff-oh, you Armchair GM!

This is apparently the way to stimulate open debate around here... :sarcasm:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Same goes for trades to try to fix things for this season, no need to panic.

Yep, time to accept that is a lost season and move on. The window appears to be closed atleast temporarily. No need to try to force things to jar that thing open, you'll likely end up breaking the glass and create a mess that will take longer to fix.

Firing Maurice esp when he is on the last year of his contract with this roster doesn't make much sense unless a "can't miss" coach becomes available on the market which is not the case. It makes both financial and practical sense to not even consider firing him at this point.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Yep, time to accept that is a lost season and move on. The window appears to be closed atleast temporarily. No need to try to force things to jar that thing open, you'll likely end up breaking the glass and create a mess that will take longer to fix.

Firing Maurice esp when he is on the last year of his contract with this roster doesn't make much sense unless a "can't miss" coach becomes available on the market which is not the case. It makes both financial and practical sense to not even consider firing him at this point.

A hockey season is never lost. I would know. ;)

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
You didn't ask people to discuss possible coaching candidates. You demanded they be able to name a viable replacement or else abandon their call for a change. Night and day.

Some aspects of possible improvement I have alternatives to suggest. Replacement coaches I do not. I doubt there are many here who would have much specific knowledge on that.

You’re stretching hard now Mort, if you call asking people for their ideas and then saying step up with your ideas is some how “demanding an answer or in the absence of an answer stop posting”........massive stretch there. Asking a fellow adult (assumption) for his opinion is now demanding.....wow. Much better we sit around and post mindless throw away posts complaining about everything under the sun then actually have some intelligent conversation. Good lord.....

Again if your frustrated fan that has no clue how to improve things......that’s fine....just say so no one will judge you. If you have opinions how to improve things post them and let’s discuss. I threw out my idea of a new coach and when it should be done ideally. The whole intent of the site is for discussion.......

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
You’re stretching hard now Mort, if you call asking people for their ideas and then saying step up with your ideas is some how “demanding an answer or in the absence of an answer stop posting”........massive stretch there. Asking a fellow adult (assumption) for his opinion is now demanding.....wow. Much better we sit around and post mindless throw away posts complaining about everything under the sun then actually have some intelligent conversation. Good lord.....

Again if your frustrated fan that has no clue how to improve things......that’s fine....just say so no one will judge you. If you have opinions how to improve things post them and let’s discuss. I threw out my idea of a new coach and when it should be done ideally. The whole intent of the site is for discussion.......

Hi, I'm nobody important, and I'm a frustrated fan with no clue how to improve things.

Group-Therapy-in-NYC.jpg

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Isn't there an all purpose coaching thread? Not sure how this current conversation fits with the scope of this thread.
For the record, in case this gets all moved, I am not unhappy with Mau's work so far. We've had some shit luck with injuries over multiple seasons. I remember the griping and moaning about playoff performances and we find out the actual extent of the teams injuries after the fact. Yes all teams go into games dragging various injuries, it's just how many and how severe.
This year is just really freaking unlucky. Mau has a steep hill to climb, maybe we luck out and hang around a playoff spot long enough to get healthy and have players back for the push.
I feel we will need Chevy to do some magic though and pull a rabbit out of his backside to get everything resolved with Buff and/or a trade D man that steps up in a big way.
I am more concerned about the team make up/build/injuries rather than the coach at this point.
If Mau doesn't have the tools at his disposal then don't be upset when he delivers a french finished polished turd instead of a diamond.

Fire Chevy

Dec 8, 2017
Winnipeg
I still wish the Jets would take a flyer on Honka if he could be had for a 3rd round pick could help are d D a lot with break outs

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Agree, 3rd rd pick or even better yet a prospect of similar value that we don’t positionally need.
He’s not the biggest guy, but if cheap enough, I might be able to get behind it.
My biggest issue is we have a lot of bottom pairing guys, so why add Honka to that list?
I’d rather play our own kids and let them get experience.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
He’s not the biggest guy, but if cheap enough, I might be able to get behind it.
My biggest issue is we have a lot of bottom pairing guys, so why add Honka to that list?
I’d rather play our own kids and let them get experience.

The hope would be he could develop into top 4 material with the right coaching & development. If he can’t develop into top 4 guy then yes you’re right he becomes just one more bottom pairing guy.

Reactions: BatVader
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad