Speculation: Rumours & Trade & Free Agent Discussion 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
And there in lies the issue. We pretty much have to ride Maurice for awhile until you have an interim coach ready. Personally i would be open from here on out at a potential short term replacement but if you move Maurice, I think Kompon and Huddy have to go as well. We may make the playoffs this year but it likely won’t amount to anything. But I think at some point we have to actually build towards next year coaching wise even if that guy isn’t here next year. You’re very unlikely to get a long term guy mid season. But I want the players to start building good habits again.

I have no issues replacing PMO.......if and only if we hire someone who is significantly better coach. Reasoning is stability and even more so is if you hire a new guy you restart the clock on that coach to zero. So you had better be damn sure he’s significantly better and right now the list of significantly better coaches is pretty short in season that are available.

The only guy I would be excited about hiring is Keefe and I’m pretty sure he isn’t going any where......he likely earns as much or more then PMO already coaching in the AHL.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
The problem with questions like this is that we're all big Jets fans here, but we're not necessarily versed in the intimate details of every team, and every coach who may or may not be available across the entire world of NHL, AHL, NCAA, Junior, and European hockey.

So while I'm informed enough to identify the likely problem (Maurice), and I can provide a general solution (replace him), it's not reasonable to expect me to also provide a specific solution. That's the job for the people whose full time job it is to run a multi-million dollar NHL franchise.

Not many coaches are hired from Europe or college, so pretty much moot subject there. We all know the NHL and AHL......I said Keefe. Step up and give names......not hard to do. Sitting back saying just make changes isn’t as easy as some here think........just throw out some hypocritical ideas. Throw out names and let’s discuss is a lot more productive then saying nothing and just complaining about the status today.

Reactions: Huffer

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not many coaches are hired from Europe or college, so pretty much moot subject there. We all know the NHL and AHL......I said Keefe. Step up and give names......not hard to do. Sitting back saying just make changes isn’t as easy as some here think........just throw out some hypocritical ideas. Throw out names and let’s discuss is a lot more productive then saying nothing and just complaining about the status today.

We are at the point that barring the wheels completely falling off Maurice will play out the year imo.

I think that management needs to really asses the roster/system and determine what they want in a coach long term this year. Put a list of names together and go into the summer with the goal of putting the coach In place.

Maybe that person is still Maurice but I have my doubts that he is the right person for more of a speed/transition based game.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
We are at the point that barring the wheels completely falling off Maurice will play out the year imo.

I think that management needs to really asses the roster/system and determine what they want in a coach long term this year. Put a list of names together and go into the summer with the goal of putting the coach In place.

Maybe that person is still Maurice but I have my doubts that he is the right person for more of a speed/transition based game.

Agreed

That’s my main point, I see a lot of complaining about a coach without any good realistic suggestions how to replace him mid season or if it’s even realistic to replace him mid season. Damn if we were able to hire Keefe I would literally be fist pumping the guys in the office.......but I highly doubt that happens....especially mid season. People need to relax and let’s see what the summer brings like you stated. If PMO gets extended (possibility) then people can complain.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed

That’s my main point, I see a lot of complaining about a coach without any good realistic suggestions how to replace him mid season or if it’s even realistic to replace him mid season. Damn if we were able to hire Keefe I would literally be fist pumping the guys in the office.......but I highly doubt that happens....especially mid season. People need to relax and let’s see what the summer brings like you stated. If PMO gets extended (possibility) then people can complain.
I suppose the same argument would apply to the Noel situation in 2014. But the Jets hired Maurice as an interim coach and could've conceivably hired any of the available coaches that following summer.

They should do the same thing now - fire Maurice today, install an interim coach and hire a permanent coach in the summer.

Unless this is another one of Chevy's soft-tanks and they're keeping Maurice to run the team into the ground, I think he should go now before he does any more damage. Some players are evidently getting very tired of his act.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I suppose the same argument would apply to the Noel situation in 2014. But the Jets hired Maurice as an interim coach and could've conceivably hired any of the available coaches that following summer.

They should do the same thing now - fire Maurice today, install an interim coach and hire a permanent coach in the summer.

Unless this is another one of Chevy's soft-tanks and they're keeping Maurice to run the team into the ground, I think he should go now before he does any more damage. Some players are evidently getting very tired of his act.

Personally I see no benefit of a mid year change barring a complete shut down of the team (unless you can get your long term target now of course). To each their own though.

Ok who would the intern coach be? Who would you target this summer?

Let’s hear ideas.......not blanket copy paste statements that require zero thought.....I gave my coaching target.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016

The only thing about Keef is he's always had a bulk of NHL-level players on his team so he should be coaching teams to winning records, IMO.

I'd be eying the situation in Minnesota. Is Boudreau pops up, you get ALL over that.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The only thing about Keef is he's always had a bulk of NHL-level players on his team so he should be coaching teams to winning records, IMO.

I'd be eying the situation in Minnesota. Is Boudreau pops up, you get ALL over that.

Keefe also had steller records in the OHL and OJHL. In each situation he took low scoring teams and turned them into offensive powerhouses. His coaching style would fit our personnel to a tee.

Reactions: hn777 and JetsUK

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Then you are just replacing Maurice with another old school coach, that will rely on vets over kids and everyone will hate just as much as Maurice 2 years from now. If the Jets are going to make a change make a real change, not just another version of the same.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So what are all the arm chair GM’s here ideas to improve the team at the moment via trade?

I haven’t read any, so I’m genuinely interested in hearing sum “realistic” ideas.

Depending on how you structure it, it could be post or pre Buff resolution.

My vote is to ride it out until the off season. With Buff’s LOA then subsequent operation it has left this club undermanned. This season the team sinks or swims as is. No need to panic just play the hand we have been dealt. We can address team needs after the season when the picture becomes clearer.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Then you are just replacing Maurice with another old school coach, that will rely on vets over kids and everyone will hate just as much as Maurice 2 years from now. If the Jets are going to make a change make a real change, not just another version of the same.

Correct

Good lord I would laugh, if some people here think PMO is tough on a few young guys........they certainly going to be shocked by Boudreau and his treatment of them.

Reactions: Gil Fisher

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
My vote is to ride it out until the off season. With Buff’s LOA then subsequent operation it has left this club undermanned. This season the team sinks or swims as is. No need to panic just play the hand we have been dealt. We can address team needs after the season when the picture becomes clearer.

That would be my approach and appears to be management’s as well. No point of a mid season coaching change unless you get your long term guy.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This is a "fallow season" and everyone in the Jets organization knows it. Without Buff and with the pinch of a salary cap that precluded them from adding to a young D core, they are hoping to make a playoff run but not really expecting it. I highly doubt that they'll make big changes to their roster or coaching staff during the season, and as the season wears on and if they aren't firmly in the playoff mix I could see them aggressively introduce youth and make whatever deals they can to add another pick or two in next year's draft. They probably would like to add another premier talent in the draft with a top 10 pick. In the off-season, I think they'll reload either with Buff and perhaps a meaningful trade, or a FA move with a bunch of cap space if Buff is finished.

I'm not sure what it might mean for Maurice. My guess is that he gets a pass for this season and remains coach, but maybe on a short deal. However, I won't be shocked if they look for a fresh face behind the bench next year.

This is still a very strong roster based on talent, cap structure and age, especially at forward. Taking a step back this season doesn't surprise me, and I don't think it means the window is closed.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I would like to see the team add some grit.

From last off-season, Trouba, Tanev, Myers, Buff and Chiarot are no longer in the lineup. Myers was inconsistent in the physical play, but had a presence while the others brought physical play nightly and helped establish that big, fast, and hard to play against identity the Jets had. That’s a part of the game the Jets need improvement in.

Chevy has a lot of work to build the roster back to where it was 2 years ago.

Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I have no issues replacing PMO.......if and only if we hire someone who is significantly better coach. Reasoning is stability and even more so is if you hire a new guy you restart the clock on that coach to zero. So you had better be damn sure he’s significantly better and right now the list of significantly better coaches is pretty short in season that are available.

The only guy I would be excited about hiring is Keefe and I’m pretty sure he isn’t going any where......he likely earns as much or more then PMO already coaching in the AHL.

You are not aware of the potential pool of replacements. None of us is. You know a few names. Waiting until the off-season the available pool is larger. So is the list of teams looking for a coach. There is no ideal time to fire a coach.

Do the deed. Name an interim coach to finish this year. See what happens. Start a search for a replacement. Consider candidates who are not known to you.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Personally I see no benefit of a mid year change barring a complete shut down of the team (unless you can get your long term target now of course). To each their own though.

Ok who would the intern coach be? Who would you target this summer?

Let’s hear ideas.......not blanket copy paste statements that require zero thought.....I gave my coaching target.

Again, you keep asking people with near zero knowledge of the potential coaches to pick a successor. Totally unreasonable request. Do you know all of the coaches in the AHL? Do you know any of the coaches in the AHL? You have some familiarity with Vincent and Keefe. But even there, how much time have you spent with them, face to face?

I want a coaching change ASAP. I have no idea at all who the replacement should be. None. I hope Chevy finds somebody good.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I think Keefe’s ready to make the jump to the NHL, both in ability and mindset, but he will be heavily courted so if he is on Chevy’s radar, the Jets should get on it now.
But barring that, it’s more likely with the issues/injuries the team has dealt with, that this will be a free pass season for PMO. Do the best you can and we’ll re-assess in the summer kinda thing. I wouldn’t expect any sudden coaching changes unless something drastic happens.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Keefe’s ready to make the jump to the NHL, both in ability and mindset, but he will be heavily courted so if he is on Chevy’s radar, the Jets should get on it now.
But barring that, it’s more likely with the issues/injuries the team has dealt with, that this will be a free pass season for PMO. Do the best you can and we’ll re-assess in the summer kinda thing. I wouldn’t expect any sudden coaching changes unless something drastic happens.

That is probably a realistic expectation. In fact, I doubt that the free pass ends after this season. The poor performance will be blamed on factors outside Mau's control. So he will be back next year - with a new contract in his pocket. Scheifele and Wheeler will still be together on the 1st line, still playing 23-25 minutes. Special teams will still be weak. Etc.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Keefe will be the next Leafs coach. They've done basically all they can to keep him in the organization, including paying him like an NHL coach.

The best time to replace a coach is in the offseason unless there's someone already out there without a job. It would be very difficult to bring a guy in from another organization mid-season. So the options right now are Vincent and basically that's it.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Quite frankly, I'd be fine with Vincent and Kompon (Huddy, meet Sun).

I'm sure we'd be completely sick of them in 2.5 years tops, just like anybody else.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Again, you keep asking people with near zero knowledge of the potential coaches to pick a successor. Totally unreasonable request. Do you know all of the coaches in the AHL? Do you know any of the coaches in the AHL? You have some familiarity with Vincent and Keefe. But even there, how much time have you spent with them, face to face?

I want a coaching change ASAP. I have no idea at all who the replacement should be. None. I hope Chevy finds somebody good.

What’s more reasonable or unreasonable?

Asking people to give their opinion on who, with their limited knowledge, would they like to see hired as a coach/players traded for?

Or

People making generic comments like hire someone or make trades to improve the team with zero additional context or opinion given. Then refuse to comment when asked to explain.

I mean isn’t this a hockey discussion forum, you know where we “discuss things”? No discussion can be had with throw away mindless posts like “he sucks”, “just hire someone else”, “make trades to improve the team”........I mean use Twitter if you want to make mindless throw away comments. The point here is to discuss subjects/ideas.

I find it odd that the most vocal people for change on this forum, seem to be the quietest when you actually ask them for a detailed opinion or suggestion. Leads me to believe they have no idea how to improve the team and are just frustrated fans. Being a frustrated fan is fine, just say you have no clue how to fix things but you’re frustrated.

Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
That is probably a realistic expectation. In fact, I doubt that the free pass ends after this season. The poor performance will be blamed on factors outside Mau's control. So he will be back next year - with a new contract in his pocket. Scheifele and Wheeler will still be together on the 1st line, still playing 23-25 minutes. Special teams will still be weak. Etc.

OMG, I thought I had lost my pessimism for good. So glad to see that you found it. I'm happy to offer a reward for its safe return. :laugh:

I'm pinning all my hopes now on the possibility that Maurice hasn't signed an extension because he is looking to move onto new opportunities after this year and save this organization from itself. Having said that, the two guys responsible for Maurice overstaying his welcome will still be here and tasked with finding the next coach, and that doesn't give me cause for optimism. Who would I like to see? Well, if Tampa continues to underachieve and their management takes the nuclear option and blows up the coaching staff, I would be going after Cooper. I think we have enough developing pieces to make the Jets an attractive destination for him, but I expect there will be much competition and money does a lot of talking.

Reactions: hn777
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad