Speculation: Rumours & Trade & Free Agent Discussion 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
While I agree that's the most prudent way to handle this situation... how do you think players like Scheifele and Wheeler will take a lottery finish season?
The same way all players feel about finishing out of the playoffs?

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I just hope if Buff retires we don't do something stupid like trade Ehlers for Risto or Faulk.

One thing that comes with chevys middle name being "fester" is that knee jerk reactions dont come with the territory.

We may just let this roster sit for a few years and miss the playoffs. But we wont trade anyone to replace buff

Reactions: hn777 and MardyBum

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Honestly, I'm not sure why we would and I would be livid if we did. A bad trade like that isn't going to fix anything anyway.

Agreed

As I’ve said many times already for weeks and weeks.......even with Buff the Jets have two significant holes in their line up and are at best a bubble team. If Buff retired (good for him & his family) that creates three significant holes in our line up. That’s too much to try and fill via trade/FA in one year without critically hurting your team now and/or the future.

Last edited:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
One thing that comes with chevys middle name being "fester" is that knee jerk reactions dont come with the territory.

We may just let this roster sit for a few years and miss the playoffs. But we wont trade anyone to replace buff

Chevy might have been already looking to trade for a dman considering all the rumors. Hopefully it was all just fiction made up by Carolina trying to get a bidding war for Faulk.

I don't think he'd do a knee jerk reaction, but if he had his eyes on someone and was waiting to see the cap implication of Laine/Connor to make a move, 7.5+ mil in capspace might be the trigger.

I really hope we don't trade Ehlers lol

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Send boy Patty to play with his buddy Aho for Pesce, Fleury and a 1st.

Problem solved. (ish)

Might consider it if Fleury was replaced by Necas. IMO, IF the Jets trade Laine, the prospect coming back has to at least have the potential to be a top line forward or top pair D.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snowman

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed

As I’ve said many times already for weeks and weeks.......even with Buff the Jets have two significant holes in their line up and are at best a bubble team. If Buff retired (good for him & his family) that creates three significant holes in our line up. That’s too much to try and fill via trade/FA in one year without critically hurting your team now and/or the future.
The Blackhawks added Olli Maatta, Calvin de Hahn, Zach Smith, Alexander Nylander and Robin Lehner.

The Sabres hired Ralph Kruger, and brought in Marcus Johansson, Miller and Jokiharju.

The Rangers signed Panarin, got Trouba and Adam Fox for peanuts.

The Devils added Subban and Gusev for almost nothing, signed Wayne Simmonds.

The Canes got Aho locked up early ( :sarcasm: ), bought Toronto's 2020 1st round pick, and signed Dzingel and Gardiner.

It seems within the realm of the possible to fill holes without mortgaging your present/future - for some GMs, anyway...

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
The Blackhawks added Olli Maatta, Calvin de Hahn, Zach Smith, Alexander Nylander and Robin Lehner.

The Sabres hired Ralph Kruger, and brought in Marcus Johansson, Miller and Jokiharju.

The Canes got Aho locked up early ( :sarcasm: ), bought Toronto's 2020 1st round pick, and signed Dzingel and Gardiner.

It seems within the realm of the possible to fill holes without mortgaging your present/future - for some GMs, anyway...

On the third week of September after finding out your #1RHD retires (if it happens)? Without your two top RFA’s signing yet and holding out to-date? Being a cap team?

Me thinks your being a tad unrealistic and I like GM’s who are aggressive.......but your talking about is unrealistic. Sorry we’ll have to completely disagree.......we’re universes apart on this subject and like I said I actually like aggressive GM’s.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Definitely. Every team in the NHL is dealing with the exact same cap situation, contracts, player group, etc. Absolutely no variables at all as to why one team might be able to do something where another team may not.

I'm also looking forward to all the discussions in April when Buffalo finishes in the bottom 5 of the league as to why none of it has anything to do with Krueger.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
On the third week of September after finding out your #1RHD retires (if it happens)? Without your two top RFA’s signing yet and holding out to-date? Being a cap team?

Me thinks your being a tad unrealistic and I like GM’s who are aggressive.......but your talking about is unrealistic. Sorry we’ll have to completely disagree.......we’re universes apart on this subject and like I said I actually like aggressive GM’s.
Even if the team legitimately had no inkling that Buff was considering retiring, he's 34 and missed half the games last season - including time out with a concussion. They were banking on a full year of him? Make some moves.

Definitely. Every team in the NHL is dealing with the exact same cap situation, contracts, player group, etc. Absolutely no variables at all as to why one team might be able to do something where another team may not.

I'm also looking forward to all the discussions in April when Buffalo finishes in the bottom 5 of the league as to why none of it has anything to do with Krueger.
The Jets weren't painted into a corner. There are always options. You can't just throw up your hands and say "circumstances!"

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Even if the team legitimately had no inkling that Buff was considering retiring, he's 34 and missed half the games last season - including time out with a concussion. They were banking on a full year of him? Make some moves.

The Jets weren't painted into a corner. There are always options. You can't just throw up your hands and say "circumstances!"

Make moves with zero cap space? Ok

Show us the moves you would of made while balancing the cap, without mortgaging the future or trading away our young forwards.......that would be palatable to the other teams. Show us the magic.....

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The problems tend to be Kyle Connor and Patrik Laine.

But today the Buff announcement on him unsure about his future is what makes this big.

I can imagine Connor and Laine have had offer sheets, but like Marner haven't signed any. But if they sign stupid ones and we get four first-round picks then let them be, I don't know what has been offered to them or what trades would truly get them done. But I do believe Laine deserves to be in the top-six, but he can play with Scheifele and Wheeler on the top line but I find low-key coaching screwed him over by playing him with Little.

But I think one guy we should absolutely trade is Blake Wheeler, and to Florida because he spends his off-seasons there anyway.

But I mean I know we all say fire Maurice but here's the thing, I keep saying this but maybe TNSE have explored all of their options and there are no other ones, so I mean we should keep Maurice for the time being. But if we're in the basement for a week then I say we should riot that he must be replaced by any coach then fire that coach if he's doing a bad job up to when the season comes to an end. But I think Alain Vigneault might have been the best option when he was available considering he has a terrific offensive system.

If Maurice is gone, the chances are high that Little goes with him or we are able to get rid of Little. But the only option I see for us is Little to Seattle in the expansion draft.

But I do believe Hellebuyck plays some of his best hockey this season.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

No, but I can point to Carolina getting lucky with a great Aho contract, having the space to get a 1st rounder for some cap space, and then having the space to sign Gardiner as well and say it's totally different than what the Jets are facing.

Even if the Buff news is not new to Chevy, and that's an if, there really isn't much space in the cap to be able to do a lot to fix the situation. If he does play, you're making holes elsewhere in your lineup. For example, in today's Athletic article from Murat, he says that, based on the projected team performance, the team is worse having moved Ehlers for Faulk than if they do nothing with the D and keep Ehlers.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
The problems tend to be Kyle Connor and Patrik Laine.

But today the Buff announcement on him unsure about his future is what makes this big.

I can imagine Connor and Laine have had offer sheets, but like Marner haven't signed any. But if they sign stupid ones and we get four first-round picks then let them be, I don't know what has been offered to them or what trades would truly get them done. But I do believe Laine deserves to be in the top-six, but he can play with Scheifele and Wheeler on the top line but I find low-key coaching screwed him over by playing him with Little.

But I think one guy we should absolutely trade is Blake Wheeler, and to Florida because he spends his off-seasons there anyway.

But I mean I know we all say fire Maurice but here's the thing, I keep saying this but maybe TNSE have explored all of their options and there are no other ones, so I mean we should keep Maurice for the time being. But if we're in the basement for a week then I say we should riot that he must be replaced by any coach then fire that coach if he's doing a bad job up to when the season comes to an end. But I think Alain Vigneault might have been the best option when he was available considering he has a terrific offensive system.

If Maurice is gone, the chances are high that Little goes with him or we are able to get rid of Little. But the only option I see for us is Little to Seattle in the expansion draft.

But I do believe Hellebuyck plays some of his best hockey this season.

Connor & Laine contract status complicates any trade talks to fill holes. Plus the fact we’re a cap is a major issue. FYI I would trade either of them for four 1st rd picks.

Blake isn’t being traded, people need to get that out of their heads. This isn’t a video game, you don’t sign a guy to a big contract and trade him before he’s even played a game on that contract. People can bitch they he shouldn’t of been extended, but people shouldn’t talk about trading him at this point b/c it’s a done decision and not changing for likely at least 2-3 years if ever.

PMO is on the hot seat I think most would agree, let’s see if he makes it through the entire season.

Little is gone to Seattle......book it.

Helle is going to have a rough year IMO b/c we have offensive forwards and a weak D core and if Buff retires we have a really bad D core.......Helle will be under siege nearly every game.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Make moves with zero cap space? Ok

Show us the moves you would of made while balancing the cap, without mortgaging the future or trading away our young forwards.......that would be palatable to the other teams. Show us the magic.....
Better to stand pat and go down the tubes, I guess. We wouldn't want to mortgage the future - after all, it's all that we have left!

Anyway, it's pointless to discuss specific moves when you view every Chevy move through the Most Charitable Goggles of Justification. Anything I'd propose would be scrutinized with the Nitpicky Electron Microscope of Distrustful Skepticism. What's the point? I'm not going to be able to convince you of anything. Your mind is already made up.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Better to stand pat and go down the tubes, I guess. We wouldn't want to mortgage the future - after all, it's all that we have left!

Anyway, it's pointless to discuss specific moves when you view every Chevy move through the Most Charitable Goggles of Justification. Anything I'd propose would be scrutinized with the Nitpicky Electron Microscope of Distrustful Skepticism. What's the point? I'm not going to be able to convince you of anything. Your mind is already made up.

Have you actually read my posts on Chevy over the years? At different points & decisions I’ve been extremely critical of him and his moves/non moves (I have the infractions to prove it). But I also like to think I’m a reasonable person and can recognize the impossible. Jets are missing the following assuming as per above Buff retires:

- #1 RHD, #2LHD, #2RHD and a dynamic 2C.

How do you realistically suggest we fill those holes? Heck trade away futures if you like, it can’t be done in one year.

Jets need to fill these holes over time, from within, FA and trade......there is no short cuts to winning in the NHL especially winning over an extended time period. By all means be critical of Chevy on things within his control, but he’s not a magician he can’t make top 4 D and top 6 forwards appear out of thin air.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Jets can tread water this year and go after Hamonic and/or Tanev.
Isn't Josi an UFA next summer.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets can tread water this year and go after Hamonic and/or Tanev.
ISn't Josi an UFA next summer.
Yup.

Also...

Vatanen
Muzzin
Barrie
Pietrangelo
Dillon

and a bunch more. Shaping up to be the best UFA D crop in some time. Given the tight cap and UFA deals this season, you wonder if there might be some deals out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad