Speculation: Rumours & Trade & Free Agent Discussion 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I would imagine that we may be able to to pry a guy out of a team like Carolina that is over the cap for less then we think. I would push a draft pick to the 2021 draft as well.

Reactions: surixon

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I would imagine that we may be able to to pry a guy out of a team like Carolina that is over the cap for less then we think. I would push a draft pick to the 2021 draft as well.
They just signed Claesson too - how many defensemen do they need?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Well, that's fair, which is a big step up from your opinions themselves.

Just kidding, it's only a small step up.
I'm still waiting to see a post from someone who doesn't value their own opinions... let me know if you see one, will ya?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

CapFriendly is deceiving. Once the roster gets whittled down to 21 (subtracting Gibbons, Bishop, Forsling and Claesson), a number that the team went with for stretches last season, the Canes will have ~750k in cap space. That will grow to give greater flexibility in the event of multiple injuries as the season progresses.

If you're looking for a team that will make a bad trade because of the cap, Carolina won't be it.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
CapFriendly is deceiving. Once the roster gets whittled down to 21 (subtracting Gibbons, Bishop, Forsling and Claesson), a number that the team went with for stretches last season, the Canes will have ~750k in cap space. That will grow to give greater flexibility in the event of multiple injuries as the season progresses.

If you're looking for a team that will make a bad trade because of the cap, Carolina won't be it.

Shush and hand over one of your defenseman!....Please.

Reactions: Moe Mantha

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
All he wants to do is play for a center that will get more then 11 points in 110 games while playing with him. His money demands are not the problem in my opinion

He wants to be carried. That crappy centre outproduced Laine 5v5 the whole second half of the season. Thats pretty bad for a superstar. Getting outplayed 5v5 by a bum 4th line centre hey... Laine once someone to play all the defence, do all the forechecking and getting pucks while he stands in the slot

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
If Buff's cap hit comes off the books, the Jets drop down to $13,033,000 for defense cap hit. 2nd lowest in the league. Only Ottawa is lower.

And the Jets would temporarily be ~$1,500,000 below the cap floor.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
He wants to be carried. That crappy centre outproduced Laine 5v5 the whole second half of the season. Thats pretty bad for a superstar. Getting outplayed 5v5 by a bum 4th line centre hey... Laine once someone to play all the defence, do all the forechecking and getting pucks while he stands in the slot

I think he wants to play with a center who will get more then 11 assists in 110 games with him but everyone's got their opinions

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
What. A. Mess.

Though no one is to blame, the only one that can be is Chevy. Has had all summer to get these RFAs figured out, yet.. here we are.

The allowance of complete roster mismanagement that could result in a potential generational scorer being run out of town after 3 seasons.

Several years of knowing Trouba's intentions, yet... Here we are with a deplorably low return.

It's also likely that Chevy knew going into this season that this was an option for Buff and nothing really came out as a result. Whether or not he tried to resolve this is irrelevant speaking it's a results based business.

This is a Chevy fan saying my confidence in him is growing thin and he should 100% be on the hot seat.

Drafting is one portion of the job, and he's done fantastic... But there's more to it than that.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Jets apparently interested in Julius Honka.

I'd be okay with taking a flyer on him.

What's the story on Honka? Have heard for years that he's under-impressed, but that this may also have been a function of coaching and opportunity,

What would be a fair offer?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
What's the story on Honka? Have heard for years that he's under-impressed, but that this may also have been a function of coaching and opportunity,

What would be a fair offer?
Maybe see if you can get him to sign an offer sheet @ 2 years and around $1.5 million. Compensation would be a 3rd round pick. If Stars matched, they couldn't trade him for a year.

In any case, I think a 3rd round pick would be a good deal for the Jets. I would bet that the Stars are looking for a 2nd round pick, at least.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Samberg is probably thinking right now "Damm, why didn't I sign?!??!"

Let's say Buff retires
Connor signs to a reasonable deal
Laine still won't

What should the Jets do then?

Samberg could sign at any time and join the team. It would involve kinda screwing over his college team though so it's unlikely obviously but he could if he wanted.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Maybe see if you can get him to sign an offer sheet @ 2 years and around $1.5 million. Compensation would be a 3rd round pick. If Stars matched, they couldn't trade him for a year.

In any case, I think a 3rd round pick would be a good deal for the Jets. I would bet that the Stars are looking for a 2nd round pick, at least.

Considering Honka has demanded a trade I doubt he would risk signing an offer sheet. As you say if Stars matched hed be stuck. Would probably have to be a trade as you say.

Reactions: hn777 and JetsUK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad