Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and Armchair GM talk - XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Zatkoff lit up against Detroit despite playing behind a largely veteran Penguins roster. Could be a team interested in Ramo/Hiller.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Zatkoff lit up against Detroit despite playing behind a largely veteran Penguins roster. Good be a team interested in Ramo/Hiller.

I think they are more interested in defensemen, their backend has more holes in it than the story of a cheating spouse

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
They won't want Smid. Can't fit his contract, especially not when he is more of a #5. They need someone who can play top 4.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Zatkoff lit up against Detroit despite playing behind a largely veteran Penguins roster. Could be a team interested in Ramo/Hiller.

Zatkoff being garbage is not new. I'm certain they're either interested in a upgrade or they just don't care about the goaltending position.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Pens remind me a lot of the Oilers.

People on this forum are already penciling in multi-time Stanley's for the Oil with McJesus. Keep in mind; the Pens have 2 generational talents, a #1 Dman and a fairly good goalie (at times). Oilers don't have 3/4 of those components; Pens only have a single cup to show for all their talent as well.

I think that Ramo/Hiller would be too rich for their blood. But, passing someone like Ortio through waivers would be an easy claim for them. He's an upgrade, he's cheap... and they're low enough on the waiver claim charts that it wouldn't make or break their season making a claim.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Pens have Murray and Jarry. They don't need another goalie. A Pens backup may get into 15-20 games, zero point moving assets or cap space on a bench warmer.

SickHandsNoShot

May 7, 2012
Pens have Murray and Jarry. They don't need another goalie. A Pens backup may get into 15-20 games, zero point moving assets or cap space on a bench warmer.

I'm still worried about them taking a shot at Ortio on waivers. Even if they think they will only use him for the year.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Pens remind me a lot of the Oilers.

People on this forum are already penciling in multi-time Stanley's for the Oil with McJesus. Keep in mind; the Pens have 2 generational talents, a #1 Dman and a fairly good goalie (at times). Oilers don't have 3/4 of those components; Pens only have a single cup to show for all their talent as well.

I think that Ramo/Hiller would be too rich for their blood. But, passing someone like Ortio through waivers would be an easy claim for them. He's an upgrade, he's cheap... and they're low enough on the waiver claim charts that it wouldn't make or break their season making a claim.

Yeah, it'd be a no brainer for the Penguins to take a flyer on Ortio if he was on waivers. They likely want Murray to play a lot, not waste away on the bench at this stage.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Would it make any sense to trade Ortio and Ramo (or preferably Hiller) to the Pens for M.A. Fleury?

Flames get an upgrade and solve their logjam issue,
Pens get a downgrade in the short term, but pick up their future #1 in Ortio

Flower's on a decent contract for a #1 ($5.75 for next 4 years), which would take him out to when Gillies will be good to go.

I could be out to lunch though, but I'd rather have Fleury's experience taking us through the playoffs over the next 4 years than Ramo's. Plus we all know how good Fleury looks on the back of a jersey!

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Would it make any sense to trade Ortio and Ramo (or preferably Hiller) to the Pens for M.A. Fleury?

Flower's on a decent contract for a #1 ($5.75 for next 4 years), which would take him out to when Gillies will be good to go.

I could be out to lunch though, but I'd rather have Fleury's experience taking us through the playoffs over the next 4 years than Ramo's. Plus we all know how good Fleury looks on the back of a jersey!

The Pens have no reason to do this. They are going for a Stanley Cup now, not when Ortio is ready to be a #1.

Starix

Jan 31, 2015
Yeah I think in that scenario, there's a lot of under-valuing Fleury while over-valuing Ortio.

Can always add picks/prospects to even the value out. Along the same lines there are other goalies out there on teams that are not in a win now mode. Rask/Schnieder for example. Working something out probably easier said then done.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary

As a Flames fan first, but also a huge Penguins fan, Penguins laugh and hang up, and are incredibly insulted

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

MAF doesn't have the elite reputation, but he's a franchise goaltender in the same way Lundqvist, Price, Rask, and Rinne are.

I have high hopes for Ortio, but right now he is a 3rd stringer and Ramo a 2nd stringer.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Something like that would be a lot more worthwhile pursuing.

The thing with that is you need a team that has a starter that is better than Hiller/Ramo AND a backup they have no confidence in (hence Ortio being the attractive piece)

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
MAF is only slightly better than an avg goalie. I do not want him and his ill timed brain farts especially since he has them randomly during playoffs. You never know if you're getting Dan Cloutier or Carey Price from one moment to the next.

Gillies is the future plus I like his style better. MAF is too frantic and looking for athletic saves because he isn't as composed or positionally sound for an elite goalie whereas Gillies has it all. Gillies however is always calm and positionally strong.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Can always add picks/prospects to even the value out. Along the same lines there are other goalies out there on teams that are not in a win now mode. Rask/Schnieder for example. Working something out probably easier said then done.
Which still makes zero sense for a team competing now.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011

I would LOVE to win a cup with Schneider in net. Just make the Canuck fans soooo salty! :laugh:

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015

Cap hell for a short-term small upgrade at the goaltending position. No thanks. Not that it makes any sense for the pens as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad