Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Sir/Madam, this is a Wendy's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I feel like I need to post Nurse's stats from Gregor's article in late March every couple of weeks on this board...

Since many believe salary matters, here are the D-men who have a $7.5m or higher cap hit this season. I included Nurse, because this year’s cap hit and next year’s average right around $7.5m.
Nurse is third in 5×5 TOI/game. He ranks sixth in CF%, eighth in FF%, 9th in SF%, 16th in GF%, 8th in xGF%, 11th in scoring chance for%, 10th in high danger chance for%, fifth in high danger goals for% and 19th in PDO.
— Nurse is 12th in goals against/60 at 2.46. Victor Hedman is at 2.43 and the only D-men making $9m+ with a lower GA/60 are Roman Josi and Cale Makar. And Nurse has done that playing in front of goalies who have a combined .903Sv%.
Doughty plays the most against elite, while Nurse and Hamilton play the most combined, 71.2% of their time, against elite and middle. When you play against elite players the odds of getting scored against increases. Nurse and Hamilton face the toughest competition among this group and among defenders with a cap hit of $7.5m/year.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
You're assuming we don't make any trades or signing with 10M in cap space. And how am I supposed to know what we'd do? If it was me I would have traded Nurse for some help, then traded a 3rd for Nate Schmidt.
Yes I assume we can’t sign / trade for a better replacement for Nurse. Who on earth trades those types of players?

Reactions: TB12

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I feel like I need to post Nurse's stats from Gregor's article in late March every couple of weeks on this board...

Yes these definitely have value. Buy I think if the same things would be used Puljujarvi would be a 6+ million player 😊

I don't understand how Nurse's salary could be explained by his defensive side. I'm sure Holland signed the contract expecting him to score points too. This year his ES points/60 was the 87th best out of the NHL so I'd expect everyone to agree he wasn't worth 9+ million this year. We'll see if he can be that (I'm actually not saying it's impossible) now that his new contract kicks in. I honestly wish him all the best so hopefully he has some aces in his sleeves or at least finds the ones he had a year ago.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

3. The Oilers are planning to add one or two more NHL contracts to the roster before training camp, not including any possible PTO’s. UFA names that I have mentioned in the past and that I still think 1) Merit consideration and 2) Remain unsigned elsewhere: Wingers Sonny Milano, Evan Rodrigues, and Johan Larsson. And a name I keep hearing come up but who I had originally dismissed: Phil Kessel. Was his drop-off in scoring last year a blip or a caution sing? Here is where the Oilers Pro Scouting staff needs to earn their paychecks. If you can hit on one of those guys in the $1m-$1.25m range, that would be a big win for this organization.

I suspect if Milano and Rodrigues were willing to sign for 1.25 million or less, they would already be signed by someone, somewhere. More likely they would fit in as a replacement for Puljujarvi in the 2 mill range if that situation gets resolved with a trade.

Can't help but like the idea of Kessel in an Oiler jersey, especially if he is willing to take 1 mill to play for a contender, but that 8 goals for a shooter for a 34 year old is scary. Just how effective he would be in a 3rd line role with a big cut in powerplay minutes? You still hear guys talk about him that when he wants to play, he can still bring it (which wasn't happening on terrible teams in Arizona for obvious reasons), but it's still a hell of a risk.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Yes I assume we can’t sign / trade for a better replacement for Nurse. Who on earth trades those types of players?
Weegar was obviously available. I don't know him well enough but his stats were pretty good (44 points in 80 games, +40). Maybe he won't replace Nurse other than statistically, but it'll be interesting to see what his next contract will be. He's older, but other than that quite he's had two quite comparable seasons compared to Nurse before his extension. To be honest I don't know how much PP he played and Nurse scored more goals.

Can't help but like the idea of Kessel in an Oiler jersey, especially if he is willing to take 1 mill to play for a contender, but that 8 goals for a shooter for a 34 year old is scary. Just how effective he would be in a 3rd line role with a big cut in powerplay minutes? You still hear guys talk about him that when he wants to play, he can still bring it (which wasn't happening on terrible teams in Arizona for obvious reasons), but it's still a hell of a risk.
Sounds a bit like Neal, with less money and term though 😊

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I suspect if Milano and Rodrigues were willing to sign for 1.25 million or less, they would already be signed by someone, somewhere. More likely they would fit in as a replacement for Puljujarvi in the 2 mill range if that situation gets resolved with a trade.

Did you know Kessels shooting pct. was 4.6%? That's the lowest he's ever had in his career. Then you look at his teammates and it all makes sense. He will score way more than 8. I'd bank he'd score easily 20 on the Oilers.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Did you know Kessels shooting pct. was 4.6%? That's the lowest he's ever had in his career. Then you look at his teammates and it all makes sense. He will score way more than 8. I'd bank he'd score easily 20 on the Oilers.
I might agree with you if he was 30, but he's around the age you expect players of his type to tail off. For example, if his skating is falling off, he'd be shooting in less dangerous areas, and then the drop in shooting percentage would be explainable.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Weegar was obviously available. I don't know him well enough but his stats were pretty good (44 points in 80 games, +40). Maybe he won't replace Nurse other than statistically, but it'll be interesting to see what his next contract will be. He's older, but other than that quite he's had two quite comparable seasons compared to Nurse before his extension. To be honest I don't know how much PP he played and Nurse scored more goals.

Sounds a bit like Neal, with less money and term though 😊

So you didn't like the Oilers signing Nurse after his best season and your solution is to get a slightly older Weegar, who just had his best season and whose stats weren't as Nurse's best season, as his replacement?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm surprised someone hasn't scooped up Milano. Maybe he's asking for the moon or something.

A guy with passing numbers like that would be great to partner with Drai. They could play RNH at #3C and not have to worry about rushing Holloway into a gaping hole in the top9.

I like the player too, just "appears" like he's washed out of 2 organizations so that could be why he's just dangling out there

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Not a Huberdeau fan but how is he an step down from Gaudreau. Literally finished with exact amount of points as Johnny and almost had 90 assists....I would argue he is the better playmaker and also his size should give him slight step up.

Huge difference between 6’1 200lbs and 5’6 170lbs. Hate to admit it but Calgary might got the better player with a much lower cap hit
Size doesn’t mean anything with a player as soft as huberdeau.

Gaudreau is also better than him defensively

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Kessel would have been 4th on our team in scoring last year. If you can get him for 1M it's a no brainers.

Also talking to ducks fans apparently Milano is an NHL/AHL tweener. If hes not using his skill and "flash" hes basically non existent.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
What does Holland do? Play hardball and watch Nurse leave in free agency and with him any chance at a cup?

Did you not just watch what happened in Calgary?
No, he NEGOTIATES!

Holland has never played hardball in his life, he is a doormat and everyone, both players, agents and other teams know this.

9.5 to nurse was totally based on one contract, seth jones. If Nurse signed for 9.5 then he had better have asked for 11 million.

He put himself in the position of being behold to nurse after his bridge deals.

He just hands contracts out left right and center that we are begging to get away from usually less than a year later.

Brutal gm.

I bet other teams in the league would be absolutely thrilled to get their hands on Darnell Nurse.
Some, at 9.5 a year, not as many as you may think.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedingOil

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
No, he NEGOTIATES!

Holland has never played hardball in his life, he is a doormat and everyone, both players, agents and other teams know this.

9.5 to nurse was totally based on one contract, seth jones. If Nurse signed for 9.5 then he had better have asked for 11 million.

He just hands contracts out left right and center that we are begging to get away from usually less than a year later.

Brutal gm.

Oh lord like Holland didn’t negotiate.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I bet other teams in the league would be absolutely thrilled to get their hands on Darnell Nurse.

And to be frank... the same toughness value amplifier for Tkachuk applies equally to Nurse.

How many of those other guys can do this;

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
No, he NEGOTIATES!

Brutal gm.

Blah, blah, blah, blah.
Same old, same old.
Imagine going through ones life popping off and being wrong 90% of the time. And continuing to do so.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
No, he NEGOTIATES!

Brutal gm.

I think this year with Kane was proof that he absolutely does negotiate....

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
There's too many factors to determine a winner right now. It helps them compete for one more year. If they sign even just one of Huberdeau or Weegar, I would say it's a win with that 1st rounder as well. If both players walk in UFA, hard to say it's a win. They're just right back to where they were a year later. If they flip either player/both for something, that also needs to be considered.

I think Treliving will learned from the Gaudreau situation and at least get something for them. Even if the team is competing it would have to be a thought.
Well it seems obvious to me ( as an armchair GM ) Calgary will go in to a full rebuild. They have no younger core and most of their roster is 30+ ( or close ). They can trade Huberdeau next year at deadline and for sure get a 1rst and likely a good prospect thrown in. If negotiations with Weeger are not sounding positive, they can unload him as well and get a solid return, maybe even a 1rst. Schwindt was a throw in, but could be come a good two way, physical 3rd or 4th line centre ( not insignificant ). Although its speculation, they could end up with three 1rst round selections, for sure two and a good player coming back on Weeger if not a first. So their haul for Tkachuck would be getting a year out of Huberdeau and Weeger, plus 2-3 first rounders and a couple of prospects. I say Calgary wins big time considering their current position.

I think rebuild was exactly Treliving's thought when he did the trade, and he did very well.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I am usually hard on Nurse but I agree 100%. Nurse is only 27 along with his great work ethic, this contract will age fine.

It's dead cap from James Neal, Sekera, and lucic that hurt the team. We have like what? 4 million dollars in dead cap? Could have signed all 3 of our RFA's and a couple of 1-2 million dollar players.

Nurse is only overpaid by 1.25 million but if he went UFA this summer then I wouldn’t doubt if teams offered him a 7 year deal around 9.5+

He plays almost 30 minutes a game and makes all of his defensive partners look good.

Reactions: oilers'72

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The problem is that Yamamoto is not really over paid at $3M based on his stats if you look at league wide comparables. But this team as it currently constructed needs him to come in cheaper. I still have some hope that he might recognize that this is what is required to stay. That's what Engvall did in TO for example.
Based on his stats I agree. The problem with that is that he didn't get those stats playing with Max Domi or Logan Couture so we aren't getting the full bang for the buck. He may have scored 20 playing with Connor and Leon, but maybe he's a 10-12 goal scorer elsewhere. I completely agree, I would hope that he would take say $2.5 million x 2 to help the team, but individually I could understand why he and Pulju might be looking for the moon after accumulating roughly $3.2 and $4.5 million respectively so far in their young careers and wanting more security.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
So you didn't like the Oilers signing Nurse after his best season and your solution is to get a slightly older Weegar, who just had his best season and whose stats weren't as Nurse's best season, as his replacement?

Depends what he signs for I suppose. Does he come in a few million cheaper!?

Hard to justify Nurses’ contract. He is overpaid and likely will always be overpaid. I don’t think he has the IQ to be that elite type D but if he gets back to his covid season two years ago I’d gauge him around 7.5m

The Oilers should be able to stomach him at that range but if he plays like last year that contract is horrendous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad