Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Sir/Madam, this is a Wendy's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
What does Holland do? Play hardball and watch Nurse leave in free agency and with him any chance at a cup?

Did you not just watch what happened in Calgary?
He had a year more to see if Nurse can repeat what he did against Canadian teams. Stats from 2020-2021:

Nurse 36 points in 56 games (+27)
Barrie 48 points in 56 games (+4)

Nurse points/60 1.505
Barrie points/60 2.404

There wasn't enough evidence to suggest Nurse is one of the best defenders in the NHL as his salary, term, NTC etc. suggest. I'm not saying he absolutely can't do it, but he really needs to take clear steps to be worth his salary. He needs to be clearly above players like Ceci or Keith, also statistically unless he somehow develops his defensive game a lot.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
He had a year more to see if Nurse can repeat what he did against Canadian teams. Stats from 2020-2021:

Nurse points/60 1.505
Barrie points/60 2.404

There wasn't enough evidence to suggest Nurse is one of the best defenders in the NHL as his salary, term, NTC etc. suggest. I'm not saying he absolutely can't do it, but he really needs to take clear steps to be worth his salary. He needs to be clearly above players like Ceci or Keith, also statistically unless he somehow develops his defensive game a lot.
What do you mean he had one more year? We literally just saw what can happen. Risk that for what? 500k?

I bet he gets at least 8.5 if he becomes a UFA.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Nurse points/60 1.505
Barrie points/60 2.404

He was head and shoulders above both Ceci and Keith before he got injured.

Look at the ridiculous deployment he has to deal with, by far the hardest minutes in the NHL.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
They're not on our team. Teams have a cap salary, Ken himself had one in Detroit. No one on this team will ever make more than Mcdavid. Nobody should have made more than Draisaitl on principle. If Draisaitl was willing to take 8.5M to win, than Nurse should have been fine with 8.5M max. He wasn't and we now have an albatross of a contract that's unmovable.
Draisaitl took 8.5m to help the team win?

You clearly don't seem to remember what actually happeend.

Its also no surprise that you've crawled back out from under a bridge to bash anything about Nurse as you have been doing for the last 5 years.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
People always mention the heater before the re-sign, but they rarely mention Nurse's bad luck last season.

He(like McDavid) had the lowest onSH% of his career last season. If he had his average onSH% from the three prior seasons, he would have been on the ice for 19 more goals for at 5v5. He'd be pushing 45 points with that based on his IPP.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

3. The Oilers are planning to add one or two more NHL contracts to the roster before training camp, not including any possible PTO’s. UFA names that I have mentioned in the past and that I still think 1) Merit consideration and 2) Remain unsigned elsewhere: Wingers Sonny Milano, Evan Rodrigues, and Johan Larsson. And a name I keep hearing come up but who I had originally dismissed: Phil Kessel. Was his drop-off in scoring last year a blip or a caution sing? Here is where the Oilers Pro Scouting staff needs to earn their paychecks. If you can hit on one of those guys in the $1m-$1.25m range, that would be a big win for this organization.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
That's an incredible deep forward group.
Add a possible 3rd pairing defensive d man on the back end, and the roster would be complete.

Even better if you can swap JP, Foegele, and Barrie (together or in separate trades) for a single halfway decent 2LD:

Kane-McDavid-Rodrigues ($2.1M)
Milano ($1.5)-Draisaitl-Yamamoto ($3M)
Hyman-RNH-Holloway/XB
Janmark-McLeod ($1.2M)-Ryan
Shore, Malone

Nurse-Ceci
X (~$2.75M)-Bouchard
Kulak-Broberg
Nemo

Campbell
Skinner

Whether that's simply our 1st for Soucy or a bigger deal for someone like Chychrun with retention, we'd still have a bit of cap left to add another piece at the deadline wherever we needed it (hint: RD).

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021

Nurse points/60 1.505
Barrie points/60 2.404

Points are a bad stat to evaluate defencemen on in the first place, but Nurse didn't even get PP time.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

3. The Oilers are planning to add one or two more NHL contracts to the roster before training camp, not including any possible PTO’s. UFA names that I have mentioned in the past and that I still think 1) Merit consideration and 2) Remain unsigned elsewhere: Wingers Sonny Milano, Evan Rodrigues, and Johan Larsson. And a name I keep hearing come up but who I had originally dismissed: Phil Kessel. Was his drop-off in scoring last year a blip or a caution sing? Here is where the Oilers Pro Scouting staff needs to earn their paychecks. If you can hit on one of those guys in the $1m-$1.25m range, that would be a big win for this organization.

I feel like he's shooting too high.

Milano and Larsson would be great adds(I'm not as high on Rodrigues), but I think they're in tough to even add some guys at $750k each.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yamamoto is overpaid at $3 million IMO. Holland needs to realize that we aren't in the business of making role players rich. We have already invested in Connor and Leon's supporting cast up front (Kane, Hyman, RNH). Everyone else should be at $2.5 million or less unless they prove to be impact players. The rest needs to be filled by bargain UFA's and ELC's. It's much better to invest cap in upgrading our defense than overpaying guys like Yamamoto and Foegele.
The problem is that Yamamoto is not really over paid at $3M based on his stats if you look at league wide comparables. But this team as it currently constructed needs him to come in cheaper. I still have some hope that he might recognize that this is what is required to stay. That's what Engvall did in TO for example.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
What do you mean he had one more year? We literally just saw what can happen. Risk that for what? 500k?

I bet he gets at least 8.5 if he becomes a UFA.
You're assuming we don't make any trades or signing with 10M in cap space. And how am I supposed to know what we'd do? If it was me I would have traded Nurse for some help, then traded a 3rd for Nate Schmidt.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Unless they have another top 6 player up their sleeve, they still need to replace one. And Huberdeau is still at least a slight step down from either of the two they lost, IMO

I have a feeling that Barrie and Pulju won’t be Oilers, even with media saying that Barrie won’t be traded with Keith retiring. I would like them to keep him as having more than one OFD isn’t necessarily a bad thing…

Not a Huberdeau fan but how is he an step down from Gaudreau. Literally finished with exact amount of points as Johnny and almost had 90 assists....I would argue he is the better playmaker and also his size should give him slight step up.

Huge difference between 6’1 200lbs and 5’6 170lbs. Hate to admit it but Calgary might got the better player with a much lower cap hit

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think Milano could come around those dollars, but not the other 2.
I'm surprised someone hasn't scooped up Milano. Maybe he's asking for the moon or something.

A guy with passing numbers like that would be great to partner with Drai. They could play RNH at #3C and not have to worry about rushing Holloway into a gaping hole in the top9.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
He was head and shoulders above both Ceci and Keith before he got injured.

Look at the ridiculous deployment he has to deal with, by far the hardest minutes in the NHL.
Even as a Pulju's supporter I have been very careful with using covid and injury as excuses for his season to take a downhill slide. But if that explains Nurse's bad performance at the end of the season I guess it's the same with Jesse and maybe the team and fans should see him as the player he was before those issues 😁

Anyway, I certainly hope you're right, but I still think it may be unrealistic to expect a much higher than 0.5 ppg rate. Then again, points aren't everything so if Nurse can be a defensively okayish 0.5 ppg player with not much PP time it has some value.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
For those who are newer to the board, you don't have to argue with Raab, he's hated Nurse and Nuge since jump.
Nuge, is finally being used properly. I have no problem with him in his current role. He never was and never should have been viewed as our #1 franchise center. I watched him a lot in junior and it was clear from the time he was drafted.

I hope the organization realizes Nurse can't be the best defenceman on a championship team before it's too late. They're making the same mistake with Nurse as they made with Nuge, playing him higher up the lineup than he should be playing and paying him like a franchise dman.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Not a Huberdeau fan but how is he an step down from Gaudreau. Literally finished with exact amount of points as Johnny and almost had 90 assists....I would argue he is the better playmaker and also his size should give him slight step up.

Huge difference between 6’1 200lbs and 5’6 170lbs. Hate to admit it but Calgary might got the better player with a much lower cap hit

Looking past the counting stats, Gaudreau has been more of a line driver from what I recall. I’d have to check but likely less dependent on PP for point production as well. No one would even care that they got Huberdeau if it wasn’t for his career year. Gaudreau was the best player on the Flames. Is Huberdeau even the 3rd best?

Edit: I know people like dunking on Zito but they are an analytics heavy org and he basically tossed Huberdeau aside in a package for a more valuable player as soon as he figured he’d be overpaid on the next contract. He makes for a fine rental but nothing more. An albatross in waiting, IMO

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Points are a bad stat to evaluate defencemen on in the first place, but Nurse didn't even get PP time.
Yes, though I don't think it's a bad stat but with defenders there is more aspects. He did have some PP time, but not too much (1:22). Barrie's ES points/60 was the 9th best of the league while Nurse's 16th but the difference wasn't huge. Well I hope you guys are right about Nurse, which is very possible and probably a more complete view than mine anyway.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
Oh look...

Another area of the internet where trading Nurse makes us better and 1st pairing dmen grow on trees to replace him.

This certainly will play out differently than the other 209433 times.

Can't wait

Reactions: TB12 and oilers'72

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Holland could have traded him, and it doesn't stop any chance of a cup. Paying Nurse to be our #1 dman, throwing away any opportunity to bring in someone to replace him is foolish. Obviously it would be great to keep the player, but I don't think he would have gotten 9.25M on the open market.
It might make it more likely that Draisaitl or McDavid decide to move on when their contracts come up. You have to assume that management has a pretty good idea of who the team's leadership core is.

There are guys you can run through the meat grinder in negotiations. Others you just hand the pocketbook and trust that they'll have the team's ability to win as their priority. Players talk.

You don't find a Darnell Nurse in free agency. And through the trade market, the cost is exorbitant because players of that calibre and age rarely make it to market. You trade that player, odds are you're wasting years finding a reliable replacement. All over a couple million in 'overpayment'.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Yes, though I don't think it's a bad stat but with defenders there is more aspects. He did have some PP time, but not too much (1:22). Barrie's ES points/60 was the 9th best of the league while Nurse's 16th but the difference wasn't huge. Well I hope you guys are right about Nurse, which is very possible and probably a more complete view than mine anyway.
My opinion is that a lot of times it's better to let the forwards make the high danger plays that lead to points. I don't think Barrie is that great offensively despite good point production.

Reactions: Whyme
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad