Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Oh Gord, I Preferred The Silence | Seravalli: Mike Smith $2M 1YR Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Cam Talbot is getting 2.5 M from Calgary.

Mike Smith is getting less than 2 M from Edmonton.

Over the past two seasons, Smith has been a better goalie than Talbot.

People need to calm down. Older players have bonuses that they do not hit.
I wonder if Chiarelli said something similar the year before he incurred $4.8M in cap overage penalties.

I'll wait and see what his bonuses are, if they are relatively unattainable I'll be ok, but slightly unhappy about the deal. If they look highly attainable I'll be very unhappy about the deal. Also we really shouldn't of signed Koskinen to his deal if we felt so uncertain about him that we needed to take this kind of precaution.

Reactions: Aerrol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Fair but I rather take a bet on a better goalie at that cost. Not Mike "Ow the air hit me" Smith

You're not getting anyone just for 4 per x 1 anyway. Any goalie who can command a full 4 is going to also want 2-4 year term to go with it.

And you do realize a goalie selling a call and getting you a PP is a net benefit right?

Cam Talbot was a dumb ass for not selling a call or two in the Ducks series, it basically cost us the series.

Reactions: subnet

North

Jun 25, 2009
For sure.
Hitch and Tippett arent even close to the same coach.

Some of the limited thinking on here though goes like this....Hitch likes defence and so does Tippett so they must be the same coach.
So considering that Hitch failed in his 3 month run so that must mean that Tippett will fail too.

This is terrible...the team is f***ed!!!!!

Its so dumb its barely tolerable....lol

It's frustrating because people want changes but then get pissy because it's not the change they would make.

Reactions: Homesick and Faelko

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Any other rumours besides the Smith signing?
*edit my bad, thought this was in the dedicated Smith thread* Rishaug reported on twitter that it looks like Connolly is no longer being considered / an option. Some rumination / pontification about signing Nyquist but that's not from any verified or solid media source. We're not pursuing Donskoi any longer either, apparently.

Reactions: Raab

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I don't mind this. 2m isn't much and if he hits his bonuses, then we make the playoffs. I don't mind that in the slightest.

Also saves us money in comparison to Mrazek who will be 4-5m. Just gives us more money to play with for adding wingers like Perry, Cousins, Pirri, Vanek, etc.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
For sure.
Hitch and Tippett arent even close to the same coach.

Some of the limited thinking on here though goes like this....Hitch likes defence and so does Tippett so they must be the same coach.
So considering that Hitch failed in his 3 month run so that must mean that Tippett will fail too.

This is terrible...the team is f***ed!!!!!

Its so dumb its barely tolerable....lol
the one thing I like is, Holland hired Tippett, and they seem to be on the same page, working in tandem.
Holland is going to put together the team Tippett wants and can work with.
Time will tell how it works out, but it will be better than the Chia, alone on an island, trading and signing players his coach couldn't work with.

Reactions: subnet

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I mean if a supererior Flames defense featuring the Norris Trophy winner could get him an .898 SV%, I don't possibly see what could go wrong in Edmonton especially after our off-season defence additions

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I wonder if Chiarelli said something similar the year before he incurred $4.8M in cap overage penalties.

I'll wait and see what his bonuses are, if they are relatively unattainable I'll be ok, but slightly unhappy about the deal. If they look highly attainable I'll be very unhappy about the deal. Also we really shouldn't of signed Koskinen to his deal if we felt so uncertain about him that we needed to take this kind of precaution.

He didn't incur 5 million in penalties from old dudes... he had McDavid / Drai / Nurse shattering bonus figures at the same time.

That is the nature of drafting good players. No GM in the league could have avoided paying McDavid and Drai 5 mill in bonuses, and i dont even think you'd want to.

By definition, if you get the performance bonus you were worth the contract.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's frustrating because people want changes but then get pissy because it's not the change they would make.

Yup...and because they disagree that must mean that Holland is an idiot. Its the only logical conclusion.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
He didn't incur 5 million in penalties from old dudes... he had McDavid / Drai / Nurse shattering bonus figures at the same time.

That is the nature of drafting good players. No GM in the league could have avoided paying McDavid and Drai 5 mill in bonuses, and i dont even think you'd want to.

By definition, if you get the performance bonus you were worth the contract.

Yup. Exactly. I have time for performance bonuses on older players. Gives them an incentive.

Reactions: subnet and North
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad