Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Kypreos: OTT & EDM have had Hoffman for Picks/Prospects talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
As much as I like to pile on Chia for his dumb moves, I don't think something like this is realistic at all. We knew one of Eberle or Nuge had to go by next season. With the cap rising Nuge will be something we can fit under the cap with ease.

Nuge isn't Chia's player, I expect him moved, and already accepted the fact we'll get nothing in return.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Key word being next season. There wasn't any need to move Eberle at all since that cap space wasn't going anywhere.
Hasn't this been discussed enough? The cap space wasn't a certainty at all during the summer, nor was it moving forward. And neither was the value of Jordan Eberle or his line-mate Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. The Oilers moved a winger and more than half of his cap for a younger, cheaper winger who could replace a significant portion of his production.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nuge isn't Chia's player, I expect him moved, and already accepted the fact we'll get nothing in return.
Chiarelli and McLellan come from teams that coveted center depth. I highly doubt RNH gets moved unless a significant deal is offered.

Reactions: Aerchon

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Hasn't this been discussed enough? The cap space wasn't a certainty at all during the summer, nor was it moving forward. And neither was the value of Jordan Eberle or his line-mate Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. The Oilers moved a winger and more than half of his cap for a younger, cheaper winger who could replace a significant portion of his production.
Strome has as many points as Eberle does goals. If anyone seriously thought Strome was going to replace Eberle's production they were fooling themselves.

And yes, Strome is younger and cheaper. He's not better. It would be like if we traded Hall for Cagguila.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Strome has as many points as Eberle does goals. If anyone seriously thought Strome was going to replace Eberle's production they were fooling themselves.

And yes, Strome is younger and cheaper. He's not better. It would be like if we traded Hall for Cagguila.
Nobody said he was going to replace his production. Nobody said he was better either. Strome can replace half of Eberle's offense though--and he can do it from the third line.

The fact was Eberle was an under-performing, one-dimensional winger on a $6m contract. And one who apparently lost his confidence last season as well. What would we get if he continued trending downward this year? What if we needed that space next summer? Can we even clear that cap? Keeping him was a risk.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

we did downgrade out of cap necessity, but your comparison is a bit off since Caggiula is simply worse than Hall, while Strome is better than Eberle in some respects. He is a more intense player and can play center. That was the type of move we had to expect from moving Eberle

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
your reasoning might be believable, but does not ease my worries whatsoever.
Chia's track record proves otherwise.
Chia's trade history is heavily speckled with acquiring centers and D and trading wingers away like candy (Seguin only played wing when he was traded). Chia doesn't seem to have any issue parting with wingers or prospects/picks, but is rather frugal in trading away C or D that he thinks are quality.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Nobody said he was going to replace his production. Nobody said he was better either. Strome can replace half of Eberle's offense though--and he can do it from the third line.

The fact was Eberle was an under-performing, one-dimensional winger on a $6m contract. And one who apparently lost his confidence last season as well. What would we get if he continued trending downward this year? What if we needed that space next summer? Can we even clear that cap? Keeping him was a risk.

When you look at where contracts are heading I'd easily take the 50+ point, underperforming winger. Ask NYI fans if we can have Eberle back and tell me how that goes.

Reactions: harpoon

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
When you look at where contracts are heading I'd easily take the 50+ point, underperforming winger. Ask NYI fans if we can have Eberle back and tell me how that goes.
What do you mean where the contracts are heading? The trade was made in June. No hindsight involved, there was a significant risk any trade involving Eberle was going to require us taking significant salary back all while getting minimal upside on a return. People may not like Ryan Strome, but he is a cost controlled asset, who can play pretty much anywhere in the lineup and give you a bit of production.

We didn't win the trade. We were never going to.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Is there any one/team Chiarelli can dump Gryba off on, even if it is for the classic "player to be named later?

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
What did Kypreos just say about the Oilers and Senators?

Edit: Forgot that I can rewind. Saying the Oilers have talked to the Sens about Mike Hoffman.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

Not to mention RNH looks about a hundred times better not having Eberle stapled to him.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

Edit: Forgot that I can rewind. Saying the Oilers have talked to the Sens about Mike Hoffman.
Wow if true.. Hoffman would be an amazing addition I hope it happens.

Would be scared to know what it would take though.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Man could we ever use a sniper like him. Hoffman and Jesse would give us a pair of one shot scorers.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
What do you mean where the contracts are heading? The trade was made in June. No hindsight involved, there was a significant risk any trade involving Eberle was going to require us taking significant salary back all while getting minimal upside on a return. People may not like Ryan Strome, but he is a cost controlled asset, who can play pretty much anywhere in the lineup and give you a bit of production.

We didn't win the trade. We were never going to.

The cap has gone up every year since Eberle signed his deal. We also weren't desperate for cap space this season. We could have moved him at the TDL or this off season and the draft pick/prospects we would have received would have been more useful then a tweener like Strome.

Reactions: harpoon

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Man could we ever use a sniper like him. Hoffman and Jesse would give us a pair of one shot scorers.
What would we have to give up to get him though
I can see that they would want young players, dmen and picks.

Would you move Yamo, 1st and dman prospect for him
I would

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I would

I am not sure but that package seems a bit rich to me since the 1st could be top 3-5. Add to that he is only signed for 2 more years beyond this one. All things considered I'd offer Yamamoto, '18 2nd and Slepyshev or Caggiula for him.

This gives Ottawa a potential replacement, a high pick and a warm body that's cheap to plug into the lineup.

Reactions: OilDrop37

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I would

Yamamotto is a tough player to move IMO. I think his upside is pretty high.
Would love to see Hoffman on this team though but I dont get why Ottawa would trade him.
They are a lower scoring team than the Oilers are....trading Hoffman makes their offense a lot worse.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017

Nahh we should have kept Eberle. Everything is EA NHL 18 and linear. Besides admitting he is mentally weak in a mad hockey market, can't get stronger since he has entered the league, is a perimeter non back checking player with zero confidence, why wouldn't we have kept his paid too soon 6 million dollar a**?

Surely he would have just catapulted up and got us at least a top 3 forward or top 2 dman after playing one more year. He was on trend to do that right?

Chiaturd! *derp derp*

Reactions: Night Witch

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

To the bolded...Ryan Strome

Watch the Ebs OT goal highlight tonite. The team attacking him and especially Barzal mauling him in joy. That is a kick in the teeth

NYI are a good team now...crazy how a little depth changes everything

Isles fans are praising Chia constantly. It's a slap in the face

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaddy and harpoon

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Nahh we should have kept Eberle. Everything is EA NHL 18 and linear. Besides admitting he is mentally weak in a mad hockey market, can't get stronger since he has entered the league, is a perimeter non back checking player with zero confidence, why wouldn't we have kept his paid too soon 6 million dollar a**?

Surely he would have just catapulted up and got us at least a top 3 forward or top 2 dman after playing one more year. He was on trend to do that right?

Chiaturd! *derp derp*

With Nuge's improved play, Ebs would be on the uptrend this year. Don't kid yourself. He's playing good with an actual contributing center. Nuge is that C this year,

Nuge and Ebs together would be boasting terrific #'s this year..derp, derp

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
To the bolded...Ryan Strome

Watch the Ebs OT goal highlight tonite. The team attacking him and especially Barzal mauling him in joy. That is a kick in the teeth

NYI are a good team now...crazy how a little depth changes everything

Eberle needed a fresh start and it worked. He said himself he had no confidence left in Edmonton. I don't know what could have changed that going into this season, especially with the Oilers rocky start to the season. No doubt all eyes would be on him during the losses.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Eberle needed a fresh start and it worked. He said himself he had no confidence left in Edmonton. I don't know what could have changed that going into this season, especially with the Oilers rocky start to the season. No doubt all eyes would be on him during the losses.

Ya I don't buy that one bit. He only said its hard playing here reading stuff, yet he still popped up 50 points

The biggest thing would be RNH. He was a blackhole of offense last year. He did little to create.

No doubt in my mind that Ebs would be having a good year here playing alongside a much improved RNH

The trade was terrible...but not for NYI.. They are a playoff team again

He didn't need a change of scenery, he needed an improved offensive C. He got that in Barzal. He would have that in RNH

Reactions: Zaddy and harpoon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad