Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Kypreos: OTT & EDM have had Hoffman for Picks/Prospects talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Give up a 1st ++ for a winger with 2 years left on his contract?
Sounds like a Chia sort of deal lol

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
It would likely take something like Yamo + 1st rounder to get the conversation started. Not sure I would do that. Especially since it would likely mean having to trade RNH this off-season and not resign Maroon. Hoffman makes 5.6 million, so wouldn't fit into the cap without some sacrifices. Yes, he is a lot better player than Maroon, but he really isn't any better than RNH, and plays left wing (which is our 2nd strongest position after center). So would you be willing to walk away from Maroon, trade RNH for pennies on the dollar (cause that's how Chia rolls), and then also give up Yamo + 1st rounder, all just to get Hoffman, who plays LW? Not me, even though I really like Hoffman as a player.
Well right... that's it exactly.

Net effect:

In: Hoffman, a 55-60 point 28 year old, two way left-winger making $5.2M + Strome, a 35-40 point soft C/LW
Out: Eberle, a 50-60 point 28 year old, one way right-winger making $6M + RNH a 24 year old 50 point, two-way C, Maroon a big, 40 point LW who is a good team guy + Yama + 1st

There is only one asset in the "IN" group that I would be remotely interested in. From the "OUT" group, I would have found use for ALL FIVE of them.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Holding out hope for Slepy, Benson, Yamamoto, Bear or any of the other prospects or the 1st rounder to turn into a 25+ goals a year LW like Hoffman IS ALREADY is not logical. Fact is many of those players may not skate a shift in the NHL never mind pot 25 goals. This team lacks scoring depth NOW, not in 2-5 years when a few of those prospects could turn into something... maybe... I’d rather ice a great team for the next 2-4 years than hold out hope that ANY of those prospects amount to anything.

You add Hoffman and you have to trade someone to make room for him, and again when against the cap you know you won't win that trade.

So it's what it takes to get Hoffman, highly doubt he's cheap to get+ the moves you need to make to fit him under the cap.

Anyways didn't Hoffman carry the softest player in the league award during playoff time?

Last edited:

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV

Net effect:

In: Hoffman, a 55-60 point 28 year old, two way left-winger making $5.2M + Strome, a 35-40 point soft C/LW
Out: Eberle, a 50-60 point 28 year old, one way right-winger making $6M + RNH a 24 year old 50 point, two-way C, Maroon a big, 40 point LW who is a good team guy + Yama + 1st

There is only one asset in the "IN" group that I would be remotely interested in. From the "OUT" group, I would have found use for ALL FIVE of them.
Strome getting 35 pts? In what universe lol

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It would be very fitting for chiarelli’s to give away eberle for a scrub bust like strome and then turn around and give up huge assets for a player who produces essentially the exact same as eberle.

That would be some premium asset management right there. It’s too bad there don’t seem to be any other idiot GMs willing to trade good assets for garbage. I mean... we’ve got a perfectly good bust here in Ryan strome. That was the cost to get a top line scorer in the summer. Think Ottawa would bite?

Reactions: Zaddy and McDrai

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Net effect:

Hoffman isn't a 2way winger

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
God please don't trade for Hoffman. I actually like him as a player, but don't trust the moron attempting to trade for him as he's already turned in gems like Barzal+Beauviller for Reinhart, Hall for Larsson, and Eberle for Strome. Knowing Chiarelli he'll probably give Puljujarvi+1st or something.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
God please don't trade for Hoffman. I actually like him as a player, but don't trust the moron attempting to trade for him as he's already turned in gems like Barzal+Beauviller for Reinhart, Hall for Larsson, and Eberle for Strome. Knowing Chiarelli he'll probably give Puljujarvi+1st or something.

There's never been any indication the Oilers were going to take Barzal with that pick, the trade is atrocious enough just saying a 1st and 2nd for Reinhart without popping in actual players the Oilers weren't going to take.

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017
Strome getting 35 pts? In what universe lol

Considering he is on pace for a 32 point season if he plays all 82 games he’s not that far off. I get why people hate on him, but the guy isn’t completely useless.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Heh all this Hoffman talk

I said Eberle for Hoffman last year sounded good and everyone jumped on me saying Hoffman just scores but softer than Eberle, etc etc. Now I'm seeing "omg we should really go for it" etc etc.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
There's never been any indication the Oilers were going to take Barzal with that pick, the trade is atrocious enough just saying a 1st and 2nd for Reinhart without popping in actual players the Oilers weren't going to take.
Same ol stupid Oiler scouting then.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Broken record here but here I go
When it comes to Hoffman lets look at where he fits next season and our cap situation
Hoffman McDavidPool PartyLarssonKlefbom26.85
LucicLeon DNugeSekeraNurse30.00
????????KhairaRusselBenning6.9
???????KassianDavidson2.8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Dadbot 4.1
Unknown back up 1.5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Current Cap 75mill
208/2019 Projected80 mill13.45 in cap space
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

this is based on the sens taking futures for Hoffman and no contracts signed for next year going back

I think Benning will be traded and Davidson moving to #6 with Gryba and Nurse will get about 4mill a year

with that 13.45 in projected cap space we need to sign 4 fwds and a back up

If we trade for Hoffman--we will almost have to move Nuge and his 6 mill to free up money elsewhere
and we would need to keep in mind for the 2019/2020 season dadbot, Poolparty and Kaira all would need new contracts

for the 19/20 we have 9 players signed taking up 54.117 say of the cap is 85 mill we will have about 30 mill to spend on 14 players

for me that math is if we seriously want Hoffman--build a deal around Nuge--but the Sens just got Duschene so it is unlikely they will take Nuge

My projections maybe off but that is the road we are going down

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
the problems I have for hoffman and it is more then likely just me

1) Hoffman is on 5.1mill for 2 seasons after this--collectively we are looking at the next few seasons and have some understanding that we will be tight against the cap
2) Looks like sens fans are wanting Pool Party, Yamamoto, 1st rounder and or other cheap young stuff for Hoffman--we need to have some good players on cheap contracts
2) We get Hoffman that means Nuge is done and needs to get moved due to the cap wont go up enough

I don't know if I calculated wrong, or made liberal estimates for contracts, but I think a lineup of:

Lucic-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Hoffman-Draisaitl-Strome
Slepyshev-RNH-Kassian
Walker-Caggiula-Khaira

Nurse-Larsson
Sekera-Russell
Klefbom-Davidson

Talbot
Brossoit

fits under an estimated 80 million cap. The issues would be the year after, when JP would need to be re-signed.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
oh oh, is something afoot?
I hope it's a minor injury/maintenance day. Just a little worrying with all this Hoffman talk.
I sincerely doubt he's been traded. Most likely just a maintenance day.
I hope so, unless it's for Karlsson in which case I'll drive him to the airport.
It's Hoffman + Karlsson for Klefbom++ (a man can dream)
I would do Klefbom++++++++++ for Karlsson and no Hoffman tbh.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Hoffman would be Eberle 2.0 for the fans. Heck of a shot, great 1-timer (unlike Ebs, but Ebs has a more accurate shot). But he is also a zero contact player. When he's struggling to score, there is potential for fans to turn on him. And his price tag is right in line with Ebs. Ebs is a better playmaker and worth the extra money in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad