Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Free Agency Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Leafs only have 8.6m cap space for Kerfoot and Marner and Barrie getting PAID next year (Ceci too). They aren't out of **** Creek yet.
So what, they will move kerfiit for picks, get creative with ceci and sign marner. Done.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
There isn't a single reasonable person saying we should sacrifice all our futures for rentals..

People are upset that 2 of the most action packed days of the offseason have gone by now, and we are in the exact same spot as last season, while other teams who finished above us continue to make moves and try to improve their clubs. We're given every excuse in the book about why we can't afford to make any moves that improve the club, while teams like toronto somehow managed to shed a ton of cap without getting much worse in a matter of a few days.

Nobody wants to trade our first for rentals, or a prospect for a rental... we just want some sign that our new GM is trying to improve this team. Sitting on his hands during the draft and free agency isn't a promising start, and the fans have every right to not trust this guy until he makes some moves that show us his plan.

He talks about wanting to make the playoffs this year, but the dog days of the offseason where moves are hard to come by is coming up really quickly, and we all know how often the team changes between the second week of july, and training camp.

If you want to give Holland leeway and allow him to make mistakes before you judge him, that's fine. Just like it's fine if people don't trust Holland yet because the people who hired him are directly responsible for chia, and the years and years of darkness before.

Some people see Holland as the light at the end of the tunnel, and some see actual team improvement as the light.

*****ing about people being negative or positive is a waste of breath and just makes you look foolish when you exaggerate like you did here.

Talk about a negative bias.
Its like you just glossed over everything I have posted in this thread. :nod:

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
I'm excited for when Barrie wants 9+ million a year.
I'm excited for the day we finally take a chance and go out and get a piece we actually need.

Leafs had a deadly roster, and if they get Marner back, on top there other moves, they will be legit contenders in my eyes. Whereas we look the same as start of last year, maybe worse.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Can you really sit there throwing stones and say you’re happy with the moves made today? Convinced we’re a better team than 12 months ago today? Confident in our playoff chances, even WITH one or two “reasonable” trades?

I never said I was happy about the moves today. What I have said is that I understand what Holland did today.

What I am not doing is not allowing my frustration over what happened before Holland got here to cloud my thinking on the realities of what he has to deal with and how much time he has had to do it.

Thats a claim that you and others cant make.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Talk about a negative bias.
Its like you just glossed over everything I have posted in this thread. :nod:

It's not a bias, it's being cautious.

I was dumb enough to jump on board the chia train full force, I'm not about to put all my faith in the guy hired by the same guys responsible for him until he proves he deserves it.

It's kinda funny how some of the same people saying JP and other prospects needed to earn their top 6 and PP minutes instead of getting a chance based off their history, and instantly having the coaches trust, are some of the same people saying we should fully embrace Holland and give him a chance to screw up before criticizing him lol.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
@Spawn

First its interesting to me that just because Holland hasnt operated on your schedule you think thats a fail on his part. You fail to realize (or refuse to acknowledge) that there is still time to make a trade.
That pretty telling. :nod:

Next you create a false equivalency that if another team (with more favorable circumstances) can make a deal then Holland should be able to as well.

As if that wasnt enough next you insist that Holland should mortgage the future to try and save this season.

Clearly you havent thought any of this through.​

It's not my timeline. It's the timeline of the league. In a few days the league shuts down for the summer and moves essentially stop being made. It's how it goes every year.

If Holland pulls off some miracle and makes a trade for a top 6 forward I'll be more than willing to give him credit for it. But if you don't think he's running out of time you're being deliberately ignorant.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
We can’t be comparing our cap hell to that of Toronto cap hell. Toronto has a team full of good players that are easily tradeable we have 3/4 of a team of ahlers being paid more then they should be and unmovable contracts ( thanks chia ) about the only thing Holland can do is slowly work at bringing in some depth and do his best to try and offload all the shit. It’s not going to happen over night and Holland needs at least a full yr to even correct half the mess he has been left with

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I never said I was happy about the moves today. What I have said is that I understand what Holland did today.

What I am not doing is not allowing my frustration over what happened before Holland got here to cloud my thinking on the realities of what he has to deal with and how much time he has had to do it.

He stumbled in his press conference, forgot players names etc.... Reminded me of Nicholson actually.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's not a bias, it's being cautious.

I was dumb enough to jump on board the chia train full force, I'm not about to put all my faith in the guy hired by the same guys responsible for him until he proves he deserves it.

It's kinda funny how some of the same people saying JP and other prospects needed to earn their top 6 and PP minutes instead of getting a chance based off their history, and instantly having the coaches trust, are some of the same people saying we should fully embrace Holland and give him a chance to screw up before criticizing him lol.

No one is suggesting that you jump on board and fully embrace anything. This doesnt have to be that polarized.
Its not about all in or all out. Thats pretty limited thinking.

Its just a question of taking a more realistic perspective on the situation and allowing some time to pass before jumping to a conclusion.
Fence sitting is actually a smart thing to consider right now IMO.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

So you’re just as mad as the rest of us. Nice to see.

Seems as good a time as any to remind that the last time Holland traded for an impact NHLer with term was 2008, if you can even call Brad Stuart an impact NHLer.

I am living in reality and the reality is we have an action-averse GM and a poor to very poor team. If you want to lay that all at Chiarelli’s feet and let Holland off the hook completely I guess that’s your prerogative but if we wanted somebody to play it safe, effectively do nothing, draft, develop, and hope to maybe realistically contend for the playoffs in 2023 we could have hired an intern with a copy of McKeen’s to be GM.

Doing absolutely nothing of consequence is not a positive quality in a GM, especially not one in charge of a bad team.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Let me enjoy Toronto's cap hell without reminding me of our garbage dump please.

Cap hell??? Good teams worry about their next year “hell” NEXT YEAR... now they have Barrie feeding Matthews and Marner... unreal. And guess what, they’ll be a top tier team, then they’ll figure out the cap next year.

Meanwhile in Edmonton....

Reactions: jasonleaffan

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's not my timeline. It's the timeline of the league. In a few days the league shuts down for the summer and moves essentially stop being made. It's how it goes every year.

If Holland pulls off some miracle and makes a trade for a top 6 forward I'll be more than willing to give him credit for it. But if you don't think he's running out of time you're being deliberately ignorant.

In a few days things shut down...interesting how you never included that in any of your posts before. Even if it isnt completely true its progress.
So you admit that there is still time and that your b*tching and complaining isnt justified?

Reactions: Declassified
Oct 15, 2008
There is some basic realities that you and others seem to miss rather easily. First....you do realize the NTC's and NMC's matter...right? Secondly when you couple that with with little to no cap room and inflated contracts what assets do you realistically have to work with aside from prospects?

So you think its a good idea and entirely possible to make major changes despite these realities.

I would love to hear your plan. So please do share your thoughts on this....or are you just here to complain too?

I’m not expecting anything. This shitbag organization has long beat all the hope out of this old dog. That said I sure as shit ain’t gonna browbeat those who are hoping and looking for something to get excited about.

They went out and hired two old guys, who, were known commodities, and they’ve gone out and got their Fayne, Pakarinen, Petrell and Scrivens, and we as fans are supposed to be excited about this? Get the f*** back Jack!

Reactions: tinfish

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Like x 2

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
In a few days things shut down...interesting how you never included that in any of your posts before. Even if it isnt completely true its progress.
So you admit that there is still time and that your b*tching and complaining isnt justified?

“I’ve still got time”, said the dad, glancing at his watch and seeing 4:30 PM, Dec 24th. “Plenty of time. Gas station’s open til 6!”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce