Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Free Agency Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2008
@Spawn

First its interesting to me that just because Holland hasnt operated on your schedule you think thats a fail on his part. You fail to realize (or refuse to acknowledge) that there is still time to make a trade.
That pretty telling. :nod:

Next you create a false equivalency that if another team (with more favorable circumstances) can make a deal then Holland should be able to as well.

As if that wasnt enough next you insist that Holland should mortgage the future to try and save this season.

Clearly you havent thought any of this through.​

You think the team has improved from last season? Based on what? Teams make their major roster changes around the draft and the first week of July. Not much happens outside of that. Spawn knows this and is calling a spade a shovel.

The Glee club can hand wave all they want but Bupkiss is Bupkiss.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Trying to be open minded.

There’s still time but the major activity spots are passing and the team isn’t looking improved.

There’s plenty of movement and other teams are finding ways and we’re not.

Holland is looking as advertised.
Old school mentality and unable to come up with any creative solutions.

The media is finding every excuse in the books to justify a complete lack of improvement.
Including blaming the outgoing management that they had previously bent over backwards to defend.

The fan police are out in full force around here chastising the negativity demanding blind faith. Just like with Chia.

Our main needs were a goalie, a top 6 winger (or 2), a 3rd line C. That’s not including a top 4 puck moving RHD that they clearly need but don’t even seem to be aware of.

We’ve acquired an aging goalie who may very well be over the hill coming off a terrible year and bought out one of the only D capable of a break out pass. Adding to the dead cap space.

No C, no top 6 wingers. Just more bottom 6 players.
Haven’t shed any salary in any productive ways.

I didn’t expect much. They are delivering less.
Wouldn’t it be nice to see an Oiler move that was a clear win?
Just one.
Is that too much to ask?

There’s definitely still time but the clock is ticking.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
So should we start looking at moving our futures and prospects on rentals? If we need to go all in on next season, we should be targeting players with 1 year left on their contract. Because we need to make the playoffs next season even if it means sacrificing the 5 seasons after.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Any news on Dzingel or Johanson?

Going to better teams than ours, no doubt.

Colorado-Edmonton games are going to be Globetrotters-Generals when McDrai aren’t on the ice. Holy hell.

Leafs went from nuts in a vice as far as the cap goes to blockbuster deals that help their team immensely in a week. Well played, Milhouse. Well played.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Most UFAs are old enough to have families. If they are signing in Edmonton for multiyear contracts they are moving here. Edmonton is bottom 5 in the league for geographic destinations. It's a MAJOR factor.
I don't think we can use that as an excuse while there are hockey reasons to point to. While we were a horrible team, players don't want to join because players like playing for good teams. Today, it was likely that it was just that we didn't have cap space. Maybe we could have traded to clear some, like Toronto giving up picks, etc., but that can easily be the wrong move.

Holland also is a new GM, and might be hesitant to make huge changes while he doesn't have total confidence in his info yet.

In general, I'm pleased with today, however I want us to get an OFD. Even a bottom pairing guy who needs sheltering. Some kind of PP option. Is Bouchard really ready??

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
So should we start looking at moving our futures and prospects on rentals? If we need to go all in on next season, we should be targeting players with 1 year left on their contract. Because we need to make the playoffs next season even if it means sacrificing the 5 seasons after.
You’re just loaded with bad ideas today aren’t you.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You think the team has improved from last season? Based on what? Teams make their major roster changes around the draft and the first week of July. Not much happens outside of that. Spawn knows this and is calling a spade a shovel.

I hate how much I identify with you sour old timers these days. :P

We’ve been sold this bill of goods before. Again and again.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

There is some basic realities that you and others seem to miss rather easily. First....you do realize the NTC's and NMC's matter...right? Secondly when you couple that with with little to no cap room and inflated contracts what assets do you realistically have to work with aside from prospects?

So you think its a good idea and entirely possible to make major changes despite these realities.

I would love to hear your plan. So please do share your thoughts on this....or are you just here to complain too?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Kapanen
Kerfoot-Nylander-Mikheyev
Agostino-Spezza-Moore

Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Harpur
Gravel/Marincin

Andersen

or

Draisaitl-McDavid-Chiasson
Nygard-RNH-Gagner
Lucic-Granlund-Kassian
Khaira-Cave-Jurco

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Jones-Benning
Persson

Smith/Koskinen

Yeah Toronto looks a ton better than us right now. They still have problems but we have massive problems.

Why compare to Toronto? Let's try to get past the Canucks 1st :P

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Idk the team looks like it's going to suck ass. But I do think that it is prudent to flush the team of the rot. Only way to do that is to do nothing for awhile. We're handcuffed by old contracts and salary and have no assets.

Only way out is time and good drafting.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Kapanen
Kerfoot-Nylander-Mikheyev
Agostino-Spezza-Moore

Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Harpur
Gravel/Marincin

Andersen

or

Draisaitl-McDavid-Chiasson
Nygard-RNH-Gagner
Lucic-Granlund-Kassian
Khaira-Cave-Jurco

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Jones-Benning
Persson

Smith/Koskinen

Yeah Toronto looks a ton better than us right now. They still have problems but we have massive problems.
I hope Toronto runs ceci on the top pair.

Reactions: Canada Drai

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I don't think we can use that as an excuse while there are hockey reasons to point to. While we were a horrible team, players don't want to join because players like playing for good teams. Today, it was likely that it was just that we didn't have cap space. Maybe we could have traded to clear some, like Toronto giving up picks, etc., but that can easily be the wrong move.

Holland also is a new GM, and might be hesitant to make huge changes while he doesn't have total confidence in his info yet.

In general, I'm pleased with today, however I want us to get an OFD. Even a bottom pairing guy who needs sheltering. Some kind of PP option. Is Bouchard really ready??
Bouchards not but Jones got 1+5=6 in 17 games last year and Joel Peterson put up some nice numbers in the SHL. If the D stays healthy I'm not worried about them. Our goaltending will be fine for this year. We need Benson to graduate and one more signing and we should challenge for the playoffs.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Well it seems to be what everyone wants, we should sacrifice everything for next season.
There isn't a single reasonable person saying we should sacrifice all our futures for rentals..

People are upset that 2 of the most action packed days of the offseason have gone by now, and we are in the exact same spot as last season, while other teams who finished above us continue to make moves and try to improve their clubs. We're given every excuse in the book about why we can't afford to make any moves that improve the club, while teams like toronto somehow managed to shed a ton of cap without getting much worse in a matter of a few days.

Nobody wants to trade our first for rentals, or a prospect for a rental... we just want some sign that our new GM is trying to improve this team. Sitting on his hands during the draft and free agency isn't a promising start, and the fans have every right to not trust this guy until he makes some moves that show us his plan.

He talks about wanting to make the playoffs this year, but the dog days of the offseason where moves are hard to come by is coming up really quickly, and we all know how often the team changes between the second week of july, and training camp.

If you want to give Holland leeway and allow him to make mistakes before you judge him, that's fine. Just like it's fine if people don't trust Holland yet because the people who hired him are directly responsible for chia, and the years and years of darkness before.

Some people see Holland as the light at the end of the tunnel, and some see actual team improvement as the light.

Bitching about people being negative or positive is a waste of breath and just makes you look foolish when you exaggerate like you did here.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Thats the spirit...you have just made @I am the Liquor, @ChaoticOrange and @Spawn et al very happy.
Actually maybe happy is the wrong word...more like you have made them very comfortable. :D

Can you really sit there throwing stones and say you’re happy with the moves made today? Convinced we’re a better team than 12 months ago today? Confident in our playoff chances, even WITH one or two “reasonable” trades?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Nylander is going to get ripped apart by the Toronto media and fans if he plays 3C with those wingers. If he plays that role I can guarantee he won't hit 50P this season and they are going to lose their mind paying him 7M for that production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad