Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | 49 Going On 50

The Oilers Sit at 49/50 Contracts. The 50th contract is for...

• Signing an NCAA, CHL, or Euro Free Agent

• Philip Broberg Playing >7 NHL Games, Coming Off Slide Rule, cuz moar LHD

• Dylan Holloway Signs an NHL Contract for this Season/Postseason

• Our new 2nd Line LW... Cloned

• OMG, is that Oscar Klefbom's entrance music?!

• Other

• The Oilers remain at 49 contracts

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Older players don't want to take shorter term though, that's the problem.

Older players want term precisely because they know they wouldn't be able to make that kind of money at age 33/34/35/36 otherwise and they are getting grilled by their agent and wife and family that "this money has to last the rest of your life!".

Then don't sign them . Make trades, picks for players . Go after players from cash strapped team or team entering a rebuild . Just because 31 GM are willing to commit career suicide doesn't mean Holland need to jump off the same bridge .

Edit; Calgary will not retain salary on trades . Edmonton needs to make it that they don't sign aging players for any longer then 2 years .

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Then don't sign them . Make trades, picks for players . Go after players from cash strapped team or team entering a rebuild . Just because 31 GM are willing to commit career suicide doesn't mean Holland need to jump off the same bridge .
Your last couple of posts seems so much at odds. The first is fantasy and the second is the right way for us.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
What were Barrie's numbers in Toronto last year? Probably worse than those Bogosian numbers. And how quickly did that change this year stapled to Nurse?

Did Barrie learn how to play defence overnight? Or more likely is Nurse driving the bus on that pairing?

Nurse causes all partners to raise their play, Bear was a rookie making a shit ton of mistakes that it's clear now Nurse bailed his ass out the previous season.

It's actually f***ing insane that the 2019-20 Oilers didn't completely sink with Bear playing on the top pairing, he has potential but he is so freaking raw and mistake prone. Nurse deserves a lot of credit.

The same can be said about Nurse . Did he learn how to score goals in the off season or has Barrie's helped him to be a better offensive D man ? I posted early I wouldn't sign Barrie for any more then 4 years at 3.9 . Neal buy out money . So I am not disagreeing with you . I am more stating there can be an argument made that Barrie has helped Nurse as much as Nurse has helped Barrie . It happens when players have good chemistry .

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I would give Barrie 4 x 3.9 . He may not take it but that is all I would offer . Buy out Neal you have the 3.9 . It is really costing us 5.75 ( Neals contract ) I still think year 3 Barrie is better then Neal currently is . It also leaves us the same cap with 1 less hole to fill and opens up a trade of Bear . Maybe Bear + Klefbom if he can return for a top 6 winger or a #1 Goalie . Again pull that off we plugged 2 hole and still should have all our cap space , maybe more .
I think it would be best to let Barrie see what's out there on free agency and see if it's worth it for him.
He seems to be gelling very nicely with Oilers core and is producing. This is ideal situation for him other than Bouchard knocking on the door.

If Holland offers 4.5x3 and there are 5.5x4 offers out there then he can see what he wants more..

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The same can be said about Nurse . Did he learn how to score goals in the off season or has Barrie's helped him to be a better offensive D man ? I posted early I wouldn't sign Barrie for any more then 4 years at 3.9 . Neal buy out money . So I am not disagreeing with you . I am more stating there can be an argument made that Barrie has helped Nurse as much as Nurse has helped Barrie . It happens when players have good chemistry .
How has Barrie helped Nurse offensively? Nurse has certainly covered for him defensively.

Nurse's offense is the same no matter who his partner is. Maybe he picked up a thing or two from Barrie by watching him in practice but as a partner during games Barrie doesn't make Nurse more offensive.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
If we do retain all of Barrie, Larsson, and Bear then Bouchard should really be traded for a top 6 forward. Can't afford for him to be waiting in the wings again next season.

Oil53

Jun 4, 2018
If we don’t sign Barrie before expansion,maybe the Kraken does and he’s the pick from us.
They could do the same with Hamilton,no?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Your last couple of posts seems so much at odds. The first is fantasy and the second is the right way for us.

Which other post ? Maybe I need to clarify it . Probably signing Barrie for 4 x 3.9 ? Of course that is fantasy . But as I said it is all I would do . I am not that big on bring him back . I think we need to start playing Bouchard . I think our D will look more like

Nurse Bear
Klefbom Larsson
Kulikov Bouchard
Lagesson

Jones to Seattle . Kulikov only signed if he proves to be decent . Russell traded . Maybe Seattle takes him if we throw Jones in .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
When Jason Spezza or Corey Perry have about as many/more 5 on 5 goals as you and you're the one asking for 6.5 million+ extension, you will get called out.

McDavid is worth every penny and then some. RNH/Barrie/Larsson are not in that conversation, even though I like what Barrie has brought this year.

Just because you have a one night stand with a girl you met at the bar, doesn't mean you should marry her or she even wants to get married, lol. If Barrie wants to stay here he will have to accept a considerable amount less in dollars term.

The Oilers will give RNH a contract they will regret in 2-3 years and this board will be filled with 10000 posts on creative ways to try and get out of from under the contract. That's just the Oiler way.

I don't want to over pay for any of our UFAs . I am not sure RNH will slow down that much . He isn't physical so his body hasn't taken a beating . He not the fastest but still a good enough skater . I don't see him losing a step , maybe 1/2 a one

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
It will come down to Larsson vs Barrie I think. Larsson will likely prove to be more valuable by the end of playoffs.
Keeping both and Nuge would leave us just enough to upgrade Chiasson to a 4M winger which may be fine for all but Bouchard.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
BLANK-McDavid-Puljujarvi
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Kahun-McLeod-BLANK
Benson/Holloway-Khaira/Haas-Archibald/Kassian

Honestly....as far as next year's forwards go, this is the most promising skeleton I've posted in years.

Benson shouldn't be on the forth line , it's setting him up to fail . Holloway could play there but it would be better to keep him in the A and develop him as a top 6 winger .

Honestly I rather add a top 6 LW and a 3 line of Holloway McLeod Puljujarvi or Kassian . I image that 3 line would give teams fits trying to contain . All young guys . Let them grow into our 2nd line .

xxx McDavid Kassian
Dry
HMP

Last edited:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
How has Barrie helped Nurse offensively? Nurse has certainly covered for him defensively.

Nurse's offense is the same no matter who his partner is. Maybe he picked up a thing or two from Barrie by watching him in practice but as a partner during games Barrie doesn't make Nurse more offensive.

READ . I NEVER SAID HE DID . I SAID AN ARGUMENT COULD BE MADE . NURSE NEVER SHOWED THIS GOALED SCORING ABILITY BEFORE .

Prior Nurse was always firing soft shots at the crest . I am sure he is just maturing and is just starting to use all his tools ...and head . I just try and see things from both sides . Maybe Nurse is just more confident playing with Barrie . Nurse just might read Barrie better so he knows when to pinch . Needless to say Nurse isn't the same player he was last year .

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
It will come down to Larsson vs Barrie I think. Larsson will likely prove to be more valuable by the end of playoffs.
Keeping both and Nuge would leave us just enough to upgrade Chiasson to a 4M winger which may be fine for all but Bouchard.

I honestly think its more advantageous to let one of D walk and upgrade the forward group.

I mean it is the most obvious logical choice when you have NHL ready prospect (who has a similar skillset to one of dmen mentioned above) literally waiting for any opportunity to get in the line up.

Reactions: Snipes45

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The whole "player won't drop off" isn't really a thing. Even Wayne Gretzky had significant offensive decline after age 28, which accelerated as he got further into his 30s. A majority of scoring forwards have a 15-25%+ decline in production from approximate age 26/27 versus age 30/31, it's not just some isolated cases.

RNH's peak offensive year likely could very well have been last year. Age 26 is fairly common as an offensive peak.

Realistically I would expect maybe 1-2 more years of 55-65 points from RNH and then a fall back into the 45-55 point range, and towards the end of his contract a 35-45 point player.

Whether you think this is worth $6.5-$7.5 million long term that he likely wants is an open question.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I honestly think its more advantageous to let one of D walk and upgrade the forward group.

I mean it is the most obvious logical choice when you have NHL ready prospect (who has a similar skillset to one of dmen mentioned above) literally waiting for any opportunity to get in the line up.
At ES, Bouchard is very different from Barrie. Bouch wouldn't be playing like a 4th forward often being behind opponents goal line creating chances.
On PP sure, Bouch or even Bear could replace Barrie .

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The whole "player won't drop off" isn't really a thing. Even Wayne Gretzky had significant offensive decline after age 28, which accelerated as he got further into his 30s. A majority of scoring forwards have a 15-25%+ decline in production from approximate age 26/27 versus age 30/31, it's not just some isolated cases.

RNH's peak offensive year likely could very well have been last year. Age 26 is fairly common as an offensive peak.

Realistically I would expect maybe 1-2 more years of 55-65 points from RNH and then a fall back into the 45-55 point range, and towards the end of his contract a 35-45 point player.

Whether you think this is worth $6.5-$7.5 million long term that he likely wants is an open question.
Yup, Gaudreau, Scheifele, Zibanejad, Huberdeau, Strome, Landeskog, Kucherov, Trochek and all other drafted with Nuge must also be on their last leg. And this fanbase wants to throw 8M per at Hamilton drafted the same year.

Reactions: ujju2

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Benson shouldn't be on the forth line , it's setting him up to fair . Holloway could play there but it would be better to keep him in the A and develop him as a top 6 winger .

Honestly I rather add a top 6 LW and a 3 line of Holloway McLeod Puljujarvi or Kassian . I image that 3 line would give teams fits trying to contain . All young guys . Let them grow into our 2nd line .

xxx McDavid Kassian
Dry
HMP

Kassian could may get an injection of two youngsters with will and energy. Especially soeone like MacLeod that has jets under his skates.
Im a beliver. But I want First see Holloway playing to being to good for AHL before go to NHL.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
My idea is
Kahun/Haas?(skill and speed with McJesus) McDavid Puljujärvi
NugeDraiYam
Archibald/Nygård MacLeod Kassian/Archibald
Shore Khaira Neal/Chiasson/Haas

Neal could stay yes, if he revive next year. But Im pretty confident that this Neal is what he is right now.
So a buyout or a sweet deal with Seattle seems to be the right way.
Even Chiasson i better (our most effective botto6 forward.. thanks toPP time though).
If Chiasson agrees on a 1m$ contract, as a depth piece, let him stay. If not. Bye.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

They can sign everybody to a combined $18 or so (including Yamamoto), activate Klefbom and still upgrade the forward group.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
How much cap space would that leave us for the fwd group?

I did a calculation where they had $11.5M left for a #2LW, #2LD (assuming that Klef is on LTIR) and a goalie so if Smith comes back at $2M with bonuses tied in, that's roughly $9M or so for LD and top 6 wing. If Klef returns, roughly $4-5M for a wing. They can always buy out Neal or Koskinen which would add space if need be.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Yup, Gaudreau, Scheifele, Zibanejad, Huberdeau, Strome, Landeskog, Kucherov, Trochek and all other drafted with Nuge must also be on their last leg. And this fanbase wants to throw 8M per at Hamilton drafted the same year.

To be fair, many of those 2011 draft forwards that you listed are a notch or 2 better than RNH offensively, and even with a drop-off, would be better than RNH is today.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Benson shouldn't be on the forth line , it's setting him up to fair . Holloway could play there but it would be better to keep him in the A and develop him as a top 6 winger .

xxx McDavid Kassian
Dry
HMP
I think JP has earned his spot in the top six.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad