Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | 49 Going On 50

The Oilers Sit at 49/50 Contracts. The 50th contract is for...

• Signing an NCAA, CHL, or Euro Free Agent

• Philip Broberg Playing >7 NHL Games, Coming Off Slide Rule, cuz moar LHD

• Dylan Holloway Signs an NHL Contract for this Season/Postseason

• Our new 2nd Line LW... Cloned

• OMG, is that Oscar Klefbom's entrance music?!

• Other

• The Oilers remain at 49 contracts

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012
Then let them test the market. Losing either guy would suck, but it might lead to us getting better bangs for the buck.
Would you rather have four-3rd line players for 3 years or one 1st line forward for 2 and then becomes a 3rd line for the rest...:I’d rather have the depth really. Connor and Leon will still make anyone above average if you find the right 3rd liner.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
What's the difference between a Taylor Hall or a Tyson Barrie if the on-ice result is the same though?

As I said: one bumps other forwards down the depth chart, the other doesn't.

I have no answer for your initial question because I don't know how to respond to the suggestion that Barrie has no impact on McDavid's production. I have no way of isolating his impact, but I tend to believe that many of Barrie's contributions are positive and not just a direct result of McDavid's work. I don't see Darnell Nurse's game thriving in the same manner playing next to Bear as a partner.

Maybe the impact isn't the same but that's not really the question. The question is: does spending $5M+ elsewhere on the roster have enough of an impact to offset what is likely to be a marginal decrease in production from the top end of the roster? I think that's a no-brainer. McDavid is going to be at his most productive over the next two to three years, you don't need to overegg the pudding there with a guy who can't produce anything close to the same away from 97 and who is at best a question mark on the other side of the puck.

There's a lot of truth to the fact that McDavid generates his own offense. This is the primary reason why I'm hesitant to throw money and term at a scoring winger when realistically that role is the perfect carrot for emerging prospects.

I think the idea here is you have a vet winger on each top line, an elite C and an emerging young player on the other side.

You could also forgo the top end winger idea and spread the cap savings across the bottom six. Those are choices you have that you don't when you're paying a lot of money to Barrie.

You're bound to see a lot more value spending cap dollars on players suited for third and fourth line role instead of assuming the trickle down offense theory works. When a team like Tampa Bay is willing to spend significant futures on players like Blake Coleman and Barclay Goodrow, I'm fairly convinced that effective checking line players are actually quite difficult to obtain

It's easier to acquire those players when you're not paying premium dollars for marginal increases in top end production is my point.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
Tolchinsky wins KHL title for Omsk.
LWer in his prime , 3 yr teammate of Nurse in Soo.

Watched him while he was here in the Soo. Small and fast, terrific with the puck, but would go WAY out of his way to avoid contact. Not a 200' player to say the least. Obviously that was back then, though. No idea what he has done to work on those aspects of his game. He for sure is not a bottom 6 player. He would have to find a way into the top 6 or would be a great AHL player, 1st callup if offense is needed. Maybe a Yams minus backchecking is the best description of the way he was?

Reactions: LTIR

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Tolchinsky wins KHL title for Omsk.
LWer in his prime , 3 yr teammate of Nurse in Soo.
Eh. Reid Boucher is slightly older, out produced him and won the title too.

Tolchinsky is the exact kind of player who finds success in the KHL but would get slaughtered in the NHL

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
BLANK-McDavid-Puljujarvi
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Kahun-McLeod-BLANK
Benson/Holloway-Khaira/Haas-Archibald/Kassian

Honestly....as far as next year's forwards go, this is the most promising skeleton I've posted in years.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I wonder about the availability of Hertl or Timo Meier. I'm inclined to think SJ might not blow it up due to how much they have invested in washed up Karlsson, Burns, and Vlasic, but those are two guys I'd love to add to the target list for McDavid's wing along with Rakell and Forsberg.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I wonder about the availability of Hertl or Timo Meier. I'm inclined to think SJ might not blow it up due to how much they have invested in washed up Karlsson, Burns, and Vlasic, but those are two guys I'd love to add to the target list for McDavid's wing along with Rakell and Forsberg.

Meier is a very good bet to bounce back somewhere else if he was moved, only issue is at the end of his next 2 years at 6M, the QO is 10M due to salary, so essentially he'll be a UFA even though he's listed as an RFA.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Meier is a very good bet to bounce back somewhere else if he was moved, only issue is at the end of his next 2 years at 6M, the QO is 10M due to salary, so essentially he'll be a UFA even though he's listed as an RFA.
True, but 2 years left on his contract imo would still be worth it. You can always negotiate an extension before then and if he likes the fit, he obviously knows he isn't getting 10M in UFA.

Reactions: Paralyzer008

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
That's what makes someone like Driedger such a good target. No one will give him a long term deal while hes this unproven. So, we could sign him at 1-2 years at a decent rate.

Imo the main issue with committing to a goalie from outside is that they might not be a good fit in your team's style of play, or facing the opponents you face more (a big concern this season in particular).

I also like Ullmark but the issue there is that he is too proven. Someone will give him term and money
Yep. I have been calling Driedger for months here.

Reactions: Mr Positive

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
You're not going to have a great bottom 6 here, the cap reality is the team is top heavy which limits how much money you can spend on the bottom 6 and you don't get to "dump" contracts like Kassian and Neal just because you now feel like it (which is why you don't sign contracts like Kassian and Lucic in the first place).

When you have McDavid and Draisaitl, those two lines should be played 21-23 minutes/game, there shouldn't really be a ton of time for your bottom six to be playing anyway.
McLeod already looking the best bottom 6 player we have. You don't need to spend big money to get upgrades to what we have. Give Marody and Benson chances to see if they are better, play Ennis and scratch Shore.

Edit. Actually scratch Neal, Shore to 4th line and Ennis to 3rd line.

Last edited:

bertty

Jun 6, 2017
Do you guys remember Vlady Tkachev? He was fun to watch player and I do not kbiw why they have not signed him after he was available. I would love to see him and McD play together. It is ideal line for me Tkachev McD Pulju

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Do you guys remember Vlady Tkachev? He was fun to watch player and I do not kbiw why they have not signed him after he was available. I would love to see him and McD play together. It is ideal line for me Tkachev McD Pulju
How? Tkachev has never stepped on NHL ice. Preseason isn’t NHL. If he was so good, or had enormous potential, an NHL team would’ve signed him

bertty

Jun 6, 2017
How? Tkachev has never stepped on NHL ice. Preseason isn’t NHL. If he was so good, or had enormous potential, an NHL team would’ve signed him
Our managment offered him a co ni Itract and he accepted but that offer was somehow against the rules. He puts good numbers in KHL but he has just 5 10. I think it is worth a shot

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I'd rather keep Neal in the AHL, save about a million there and then buy him out the year afterwards.

If you're buying out Neal this off-season then you need to show me exactly what is so valuable that you're doing with that cap space?

Are you bringing in a Laine or Dougie Hamilton and the only way to do it is by buying out Neal? Or are you just buying him out and incurring 2 unnecessary years of a cap penalty to sign some mediocre/middling player?

I agree with this . If you buying out Neal I would want someone signed for 4 years at 3.9 million that is much better then Neal . Other wise whats the point . I hoping there are still some bargains contracts this summer and still some cheap trades . Tampa may need to make a move or 2 .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I don't have a problem dumping Klefbom and giving Barrie 6.5 million either.

The problem is the term he will want.

Can Barrie help the Oilers for the next 2 years? Sure.

Is that contract going to be ugly in 3-4 years? Probably.

That's the problem.

You need to have some long term perspective here, it's like a person who wants to eat 8 slices of pizza for dinner ... I mean sure that feels good in the moment, but don't cry later than you're not realizing your ultimate goal of losing weight.

I would give Barrie 4 x 3.9 . He may not take it but that is all I would offer . Buy out Neal you have the 3.9 . It is really costing us 5.75 ( Neals contract ) I still think year 3 Barrie is better then Neal currently is . It also leaves us the same cap with 1 less hole to fill and opens up a trade of Bear . Maybe Bear + Klefbom if he can return for a top 6 winger or a #1 Goalie . Again pull that off we plugged 2 hole and still should have all our cap space , maybe more .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad