Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | 49 Going On 50

The Oilers Sit at 49/50 Contracts. The 50th contract is for...

• Signing an NCAA, CHL, or Euro Free Agent

• Philip Broberg Playing >7 NHL Games, Coming Off Slide Rule, cuz moar LHD

• Dylan Holloway Signs an NHL Contract for this Season/Postseason

• Our new 2nd Line LW... Cloned

• OMG, is that Oscar Klefbom's entrance music?!

• Other

• The Oilers remain at 49 contracts

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Watched the Bruins game last night. Hall looked very good. His talent undeniable, even while rusty, you could tell when he turned it on he could generate chances by will like the best of em. Would have easily been the third best player on this team and a potential game change for this whole franchises short term outlook. He’s gonna kill it in Boston and find a home there is my prediction. Holland with huge ass miss.

Reactions: Pointteen

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Watched the Bruins game last night. Hall looked very good. His talent undeniable, even while rusty, you could tell when he turned it on he could generate chances by will like the best of em. Would have easily been the third best player on this team and a potential game change for this whole franchises short term outlook. He’s gonna kill it in Boston and find a home there is my prediction. Holland with huge ass miss.
If Boston get bounced in the 1st round of playoffs which is likely cause their opponents will be the Caps. Hall will be onto his next team.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If Boston get bounced in the 1st round of playoffs which is likely cause their opponents will be the Caps. Hall will be onto his next team.
I dunno. Sounds like that whole city has a hard-on for Hall ever since missing out on him during Taylor vs Tyler draft. How Hall talked about his convos with Bruins GM sounds like they are going to try to get him to stay long term.

Reactions: Pointteen

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I liked what Washington did.

They were worried about Vrana's contract ask this offseason(he has arbitration rights), so moving him made sense. I think you're far better off adding a piece to get the best player in a deal than trading for a worse, cheaper player.

For instance, if my choice is Eberle for Strome or Eberle and a late 1st for another team's best player, I'm doing the latter every time even if it cost a 2nd rounder to dump a Kassian-esque contract to do it.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I dunno. Sounds like that whole city has a hard-on for Hall ever since missing out on him during Taylor vs Tyler draft. How Hall talked about his convos with Bruins GM sounds like they are going to try to get him to stay long term.

Thus making the break-up complete. You never really get over your ex until you find someone you like more than them. And it doesn't get a whole lot better than Boston. (Awesome city, too.)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

They were worried about Vrana's contract ask this offseason(he has arbitration rights), so moving him made sense. I think you're far better off adding a piece to get the best player in a deal than trading for a worse, cheaper player.

For instance, if my choice is Eberle for Strome or Eberle and a late 1st for another team's best player, I'm doing the latter every time even if it cost a 2nd rounder to dump a Kassian-esque contract to do it.
I honestly can't see Vrana getting more than Mantha. However, you add in that they were able to get rid of Panik as well and it makes a bit more sense from their standpoint.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

I see Vrana as Ehlers lite. A lot of people were down on Ehlers in the past. This season he's become a line driver. IMO, Mantha and Vrana are comparable with a slight edge to Mantha but the 1st puts this in Detroit favor. However I don't see Vrana sticking around in Detroit. Yzerman likes having a lot of picks and building thru the draft. Once he assembled enough prospects, he starts filling the vets with UFAs

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Buffalos GM said they had a better offer from a team out west but Hall wanted to play in Boston. The rumor was that the team was Vegas. Maybe Edmonton made an offer as well but we’ll never know.

Reactions: TheNumber4

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

If we can’t even assemble a cup contending team around these two we are hopeless.

Well then we are hopeless, because we are NOT a cup contender with this current roster. Apparently 1st round picks that may or may not help in 3-5 years from now are worth more than taking advantage of a "once every 30-40 years" opportunity that we have with 2 of the top-5 players on the planet on the same team at the same time. Not trading our 1st rounder this year, and next year for that matter, should be a fireable offence - it is THAT bad of a decision by Holland. We have 4 more years after this year to win a cup with 29/97, that is if one of them doesn't get annoyed and demand a trade prior to that. 4 more years at the maximum, because we just wasted another shot this year. If Holland wasn't "all in" this year for going for a cup, he should have traded Barrie for help next year, as there is no chance we re-sign him in the offseason. Why even keep him? What's the point?

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

Detroit got good value for Mantha but getting the best player in a deal rarely results in a loss.

Vrana also had a bit of falling through with Laviolette, he got scratched twice and his TOI was bumped down. His playoff stats are also really bad.

Reactions: McDNicks17

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Well then we are hopeless, because we are NOT a cup contender with this current roster. Apparently 1st round picks that may or may not help in 3-5 years from now are worth more than taking advantage of a "once every 30-40 years" opportunity that we have with 2 of the top-5 players on the planet on the same team at the same time. Not trading our 1st rounder this year, and next year for that matter, should be a fireable offence - it is THAT bad of a decision by Holland. We have 4 more years after this year to win a cup with 29/97, that is if one of them doesn't get annoyed and demand a trade prior to that. 4 more years at the maximum, because we just wasted another shot this year. If Holland wasn't "all in" this year for going for a cup, he should have traded Barrie for help next year, as there is no chance we re-sign him in the offseason. Why even keep him? What's the point?
“4 more years at the maximum” - okay lol I don’t buy that they’re not going to re-sign here afterwards but you’re free to believe they won’t.

Holland has had less than 2 years and people are already burning him at the stake. I too will be disappointed if we go into next season as still a bubble team but we’ve been a playoff team since Holland has gotten here and are trending upwards. I don’t give a f*** if we don’t go all in in a year where we likely won’t win anyway as long as we use the cap space and assets in the offseason to really vault this team to a new level. I’ll be McDrai would be even better next year with a better supporting cast.

Reactions: subnet and Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

I mean, the 1st can still be traded to Seattle to take Neal or at the draft for a JT Miller type deal...

Reactions: bone

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
For those people who think we have only 4 years of McDrai left, where do you think Draisaitl is going in 4 years?

You really think he doesn’t re-sign with a team with McDavid on it? And the following year you think McDavid won’t want to continue playing on the same team as Leon?

I would maybe have some concern if these two were UFAs in the same year but obviously they like playing with each other and as good as they both are a cup isn’t guaranteed with any team. As long as we consistently make the playoffs and trend positively I don’t know if there is much more they can ask for.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
For those people who think we have only 4 years of McDrai left, where do you think Draisaitl is going in 4 years?

You really think he doesn’t re-sign with a team with McDavid on it? And the following year you think McDavid won’t want to continue playing on the same team as Leon?

I would maybe have some concern if these two were UFAs in the same year but obviously they like playing with each other and as good as they both are a cup isn’t guaranteed with any team. As long as we consistently make the playoffs and trend positively I don’t know if there is much more they can ask for.

A second line?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I wasn't going to say anything about it, but with all the talk from Toronto fans or whoever of McDavid leaving Edmonton, I actually worry about Draisaitl more. McDavid just seems the type to stick with a team even if it is bad for him. People said he should leave Eerie for a bigger stage but didnt. Drais NHL career was helped by having his rights traded from Prince Albert to Kelowna. He also had a rockier re-sign than McDavid's.

And btw, I dont think either leave, but it mostly depends on our managements ability to build a strong contender here. I am optimistic about that. And really, if our team cant figure out how by then, they should get a cup elsewhere. They've given us so much quality entertainment. It would be tragic to screw it up. Again, I dont see that happening. We are a steady playoff team now. It's building

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I wasn't going to say anything about it, but with all the talk from Toronto fans or whoever of McDavid leaving Edmonton, I actually worry about Draisaitl more. McDavid just seems the type to stick with a team even if it is bad for him. People said he should leave Eerie for a bigger stage but didnt. Drais NHL career was helped by having his rights traded from Prince Albert to Kelowna. He also had a rockier re-sign than McDavid's.

And btw, I dont think either leave, but it mostly depends on our managements ability to build a strong contender here. I am optimistic about that. And really, if our team cant figure out how by then, they should get a cup elsewhere. They've given us so much quality entertainment. It would be tragic to screw it up. Again, I dont see that happening. We are a steady playoff team now. It's building
Yeah if this team still stinks in 4 years then I’d be happy to see Leon and Connor do great things elsewhere and I’ll be cheering them on. They deserve success for sure.

Reactions: bone

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Did you read the first part of that sentence? I thought it was obvious that I don’t think the current state of the roster is good enough in the long run but it’s not like McDrai are UFA this season.

I think if this team is going to keep building, they can't keep those two playing together long term. If they insist on being a 5v5 combo at the expense of the rest of the roster, they should trade one of them for a massive haul.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I think if this team is going to keep building, they can't keep those two playing together long term. If they insist on being a 5v5 combo at the expense of the rest of the roster, they should trade one of them for a massive haul.
I agree with you and I don’t think they should be playing on the same line even now. I think we have all the main pieces other than a 1G, but we’ve struggled to find the right mix of players to work off McDrai but that has been with limited cap space so I’m excited to see what happens in the offseason.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I mean you also have to see if there's an NHL player in Marody, because he's at the end of his time as a prospect.

While I agree, I think the biggest thing in his way right now is that he's a RHS so his competition to get in would be JP, KY, Kassian, Chiasson, Archibald who are all players Tippett either likes or is trying to get going and really only one of them has been scratched more than a game in a row (Unless they wanted to try him at centre).

Benson's competition is RNH, Kahun, Shore, Ennis, Nygard, Neal (four of which have been on waivers, 5 of which have missed several games as a scratch). McLeod's would be the same as Benson's plus Haas and Khaira.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
While I agree, I think the biggest thing in his way right now is that he's a RHS so his competition to get in would be JP, KY, Kassian, Chiasson, Archibald who are all players Tippett either likes or is trying to get going and really only one of them has been scratched more than a game in a row (Unless they wanted to try him at centre).

Benson's competition is RNH, Kahun, Shore, Ennis, Nygard, Neal (four of which have been on waivers, 5 of which have missed several games as a scratch). McLeod's would be the same as Benson's plus Haas and Khaira.
That's a fair point, but Marody is also a center, so that's an option to atleast see as well. He's not Nuge, but maybe he could provide more offense then Haas, Khaira and Turris from the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad