Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Expansion Trade Freeze zzzzz Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Is Faulk considered untouchable in Carolina? Would take more than Eberle obviously.

I haven't heard anything about Faulk even being in play. If he is then he would check off a lot of boxes for the Oilers. Not sure what the ask would be though.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Then why trade him?

In principle it's a bit like saying why trade Yak for a 3rd when his value is low.

Eberle's a much better player than that, but if he just doesn't fit with the team then moving on is the right move. I'm not completely certain we're at that point with Ebs, but with zero points in the playoffs and a generally weak regular season that factor is on the table. Chia would know better than I could, but my impression is that it's time to move on, and that it would benefit both parties to do so.

And I am dead set against any kind of logic that says that we must keep a player to increase their value. Our goal should be to win hockey games.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
I hate to hijack this thread but what's up with the comment regarding Buchberger and Eberle butted heads. I don't recall anything like that anybody remember?

I think it goes back to practice habits. Eberle is known to not have the greatest practice habits and off-season training habits. To be fair, you're a product of your environment, and we all know how this ship ran for his first 6 years. He seemingly worked harder this past off-season and came back with a terrible shot.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Its the specialty of the board. I mean people are still taking the time to rip on Schultz when in reality they should all be admitting how wrong and blind they were in their 'evaluation' of the player. And how MacT, who also knows nothing according to this board, was probably closer to the truth with his "Norris" comments than anything they have typed up since joining the site.

Reading the comments from some folks here about Eberle is just disgusting. Yeah, Soundwave, I'm talking about you. Zero evidence that Eberle has asked to be traded. Zero. Its the Taylor Hall character assassination all over again.

No problem dude. The board seems fully convinced that Caggiula and Slepyshev and Pitlick are all likely to provide of more next season. Outside of Slepyshev I doubt any of those guys even replicates what they did last season, never mind improves on it. Even more amusing is the guys expecting JP to duplicate what Draisaitl accomplished.

Yup. He gets beat along the boards multiple times every game. Meanwhile, players like Russel and Phaneuf are apparently over priced junk. I think its almost to the point where you could gauge consensus on this site and then be pretty sure that the opposite was closer to the truth.

Firstly, JumpTheShark is the one pushing that rumour, not me, I'm just saying if that is the case then I think it's a gutless move to want out of a winning team. It may well not be the case though.

I'm fine with keeping Eberle if there's only crap being offered, but it comes with some reality checks here too.

I think he is about a 50-55 point player now that he does not get gifted top unit PP time and doesn't mesh well with McDavid. Which is fine, and that has some use, since Puljujarvi may need another year in the AHL.

Also we should realize that his 6 mill in cap may not be so easy to move next summer without taking salary back, which could limit the changes Chia can make next summer too (probably a summer where we want to start loading up).

That and it's simply hard for him for play against bigger, tighter checking Western Conference teams, so you can't expect much from him in those types of games.

If you're ok with that, then fine keep him. He's not useless and I think what will happen next year is he'll score about 50-55 point but hopefully in more spread out fashion so it isn't just a bunch of points against Calgary/Arizona/Vancouver/Colorado.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Barrie is tempting, I mean a year ago this board would've been estatic with him. If we were to get him we'd basically have all the different type of D-Men ...

Klefbom - All around big minute stud who can do everything.

Larsson - Steady, physical defensive d-man.

Barrie - Offensive D.

Nurse - Smooth skating physical D with edge.

Sekera - All around veteran guy.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
On a side note wouldn't mind grabbing kulikov for depth what you guys think he'll sign for? If

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Barrie could put up some serious numbers here if he could be sheltered down to a no.4/5 5-on-5.

To be honest I would agree we made a mistake with Justin Schultz and should have kept him, but I don't think his game recovers the same way here, going to Pittsburgh and playing with all their fire power and the more open Eastern conference did wonders for his confidence.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I agree in part but I think you are understating things a little.
With the Oilers Schultz was rushed in terms of his development and was being used as a top pairing dman years before he should have been. That was due to years of mismanagement and poor player decisions leading to a appalling lack of depth on the back end.
Once Schultz had the benefit of a new situation with an experienced defence and a solid coaching staff he was able to regain his confidence playing soft minutes.
The Oilers couldn't afford to keep him because they mismanaged the player so badly that it was virtually impossible for Schultz to regain his confidence and find his game here.

Oh I agree. MacT's Norris potential quote was devastating for Schultz.

They handed him minutes he couldn't possibly handle.

They punted their best d man in Petry because they felt Schultz was better.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Looking like Sunday is the next interesting day (expansion list) Then Thursday looks like Eberle deal by Saturday big nothing burger . :(

North

Jun 25, 2009
temper expectations... Eberle has a very ugly contract. don't be surprised if it's a weak return.

Eberle is maybe 1 million overpaid. It's not that bad.

Ultimately if Chia doesn't get a deal he likes he doesn't have to trade Eberle.

On another note, Snow seems to think he's dealing with Chia over a barrel when it's Snow that's over the barrel in this situation.

Snow is slowly mismanaging the Isles into the basement.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
This is exactly the approach I am hoping Chiarelli takes. If there is a solid deal there then by all means take it.
Otherwise the team is better served by just keeping Eberle because the chances that he will be having a bounce back season is very high IMO.

I think the chances of Eberle having a bounce back season are greatly improved with a change of scenery. Just like Schultz needed a chance of scenario. Just like Dubynk needed (a few) changes of scenery.

I do not really see any part about that that makes Eberle a disease?

You quoted a post of yours that supports your position. Shocking. :laugh:

North

Jun 25, 2009
IMO Barrie for Eberle requires another piece.

Do you do Eberle+Bear for Barrie?

Nope. Again, the only way you trade Jones or Bear is if the return is amazing.

If you're adding to Eberle it should be a Cairns level prospect.

That being said, Eberle is flawed and Barrie is flawed.

One for one is fair.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
The Avs really got nothing going on for prospects. They have a lot of young players that already graduated but if they move them for squat they are just sewered.

I was trying to figure out who I'd even take thats not on the roster....

Spencer Martin? I think that's literally it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad