Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Expansion Trade Freeze zzzzz Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That's true, but he was hung out to dry on the top pair. Pittsburgh did a good job protecting him and maximizing his strengths (PP time and offensive starts). Barrie would benefit in the same way

It was very unpopular at the time but there were a number of posters trying to illuminate the fact that Schultz was badly misused here and that he would likely find success elsewhere. I was one of those posters.

So I was not really all that surprised that he bounced back with proper handling.

I dont see Eberle in the same way (he has been and will likely continue to be a consistent 50+ point player) but I do think that he is being unfairly scapegoated around here.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
It's addition by subtraction getting rid of the disease.

From my post on the main boards:
Since Eberle entered the league this is the break down for points by RW from 2010-17:
1.Patrick Kane 496 GP 522 points
2.Phil Kessel 540 GP 468 points
3.Corey Perry 518 GP 446 points
4.Blake Wheeler 534 GP 441 points
5.Jakub Voracek 525 GP 400 points
6. Jordan Eberle 507 GP 382 points
7.Jarome Iginla 530 GP 380 points
8. Marian Hossa 477 GP 364 points
9. James Neal 477 GP 359 points

I people are very much under rating Eberle I will not say he is a top 6 RW in the league as there are for sure younger guys I would take over him that have not been in the league long enough to make it on this list. If you normalize this for games played it would be interesting.

I think people also need to keep in mind Eberle injured his shoulder in the pre season the year previous and never got a shot with McDavid when he came back McDavid went out with the broken collar bone. Eberle took awhile to get back into form and people keep saying he trended down in points in 2015-16 when he put up 47P but only played 69 Games so would of put up quite an average or below average season last year if he had played the full season (around 55 points).

Then it is rumored this year he had an elbow issue that just according to an HF board poster so who knows on that I would take it with a grain of salt.

I do not really see any part about that that makes Eberle a disease?
Who are our RWers this season if he gets traded? Unproven #1, Unproven #2, and a free agent??
We can only trade him if we get value back.

To me I just see a bunch of people who emotionally evaluate players and say awh you know what Eberle didnt score in a 14 game sample size he is inherently valueless addition by subtraction trading him. Then do not present a logical argument for who takes his place. He cannot possibly be valueless and a disease if there is apparently 6-7 teams with some degree of seriousness pursuing his services.

North

Jun 25, 2009
That's true, but he was hung out to dry on the top pair. Pittsburgh did a good job protecting him and maximizing his strengths (PP time and offensive starts). Barrie would benefit in the same way

Not many teams have the ability to shelter a player like that though.

Schultz came to the Oilers at the worst time because they needed to rely on him to be good defensively while chipping in offensively.

The problem was he wasn't good defensively and the offensive ability started to dry up.

That led to a lack of confidence for him and it showed in his play. He would routinely give up on plays. The Oilers couldn't keep him as is.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
You just know Chia is getting lowballed by the teams interested.

Do the right thing and take him off the table.

Exactly to me I do not really see many great UFA replacements besides Justin Williams and that would be a stop gap solution who is by no means guaranteed to sign with us especially when he seems to be trying to chase a for sure cup.

We do not have cap issues until McDavid's new contract kicks in.

SO either offer us full value for a player we do not need to trade now or you are not getting him. I happen to believe that he can restore some value next season and hopefully proves that he can put up points in the playoffs.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
From my post on the main boards:

I do not really see any part about that that makes Eberle a disease?
Who are our RWers this season if he gets traded? Unproven #1, Unproven #2, and a free agent??
We can only trade him if we get value back.

To me I just see a bunch of people who emotionally evaluate players and say awh you know what Eberle didnt score in a 14 game sample size he is inherently valueless addition by subtraction trading him. Then do not present a logical argument for who takes his place. He cannot possibly be valueless and a disease if there is apparently 6-7 teams with some degree of seriousness pursuing his services.
He is also the youngest of that list

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Not many teams have the ability to shelter a player like that though.

Schultz came to the Oilers at the worst time because they needed to rely on him to be good defensively while chipping in offensively.

The problem was he wasn't good defensively and the offensive ability started to dry up.

That led to a lack of confidence for him and it showed in his play. He would routinely give up on plays. The Oilers couldn't keep him as is.

I agree in part but I think you are understating things a little.
With the Oilers Schultz was rushed in terms of his development and was being used as a top pairing dman years before he should have been. That was due to years of mismanagement and poor player decisions leading to a appalling lack of depth on the back end.
Once Schultz had the benefit of a new situation with an experienced defence and a solid coaching staff he was able to regain his confidence playing soft minutes.
The Oilers couldn't afford to keep him because they mismanaged the player so badly that it was virtually impossible for Schultz to regain his confidence and find his game here.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
He is also the youngest of that list

Yes and he has an abysmal shooting percentage this year compared to his usual. You could argue he has had a bunch of outlier years and this is actually the norm (I doubt it) and say we should strap an anchor to his ankle and toss him off the ship. But then again I believe it was Jarmo Kekalainen who said he looks at S% to see if he can pick up guys who he thinks will have rebound years.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
If we had a PP consisting of:

Eberle-RNH-Draisaitl

Klefbom-McDavid

We would see RNH and Ebs' points increase dramatically. I'd be tempted to try this to raise their value and then trade one or both of them next offseason. I have a feeling that Chia is getting lowballed by many of these "interested" teams. I'm not willing to give up Eberle for a player such as Strome. **** that

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Mm more character assassination off of baseless claims from Treenasoil. Yup. Oilers fans, the greatest in the world alright :laugh:
Its the specialty of the board. I mean people are still taking the time to rip on Schultz when in reality they should all be admitting how wrong and blind they were in their 'evaluation' of the player. And how MacT, who also knows nothing according to this board, was probably closer to the truth with his "Norris" comments than anything they have typed up since joining the site.

Reading the comments from some folks here about Eberle is just disgusting. Yeah, Soundwave, I'm talking about you. Zero evidence that Eberle has asked to be traded. Zero. Its the Taylor Hall character assassination all over again.

Just dawned on me... the last element of HOPE may be leaving town...
No problem dude. The board seems fully convinced that Caggiula and Slepyshev and Pitlick are all likely to provide of more next season. Outside of Slepyshev I doubt any of those guys even replicates what they did last season, never mind improves on it. Even more amusing is the guys expecting JP to duplicate what Draisaitl accomplished.

To be honest, I'm beyond sick of hearing about Hamonic. One of the most overhyped dmen I've ever seen on this message board.
Yup. He gets beat along the boards multiple times every game. Meanwhile, players like Russel and Phaneuf are apparently over priced junk. I think its almost to the point where you could gauge consensus on this site and then be pretty sure that the opposite was closer to the truth.

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
I firmly believe Eberle will still be an Oiler come opening night. Chia won't trade him unless the deal is right and if the trade talks are the right ones, it would of happened already.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Its the specialty of the board. I mean people are still taking the time to rip on Schultz when in reality they should all be admitting how wrong and blind they were in their 'evaluation' of the player. And how MacT, who also knows nothing according to this board, was probably closer to the truth with his "Norris" comments than anything they have typed up since joining the site.

Reading the comments from some folks here about Eberle is just disgusting. Yeah, Soundwave, I'm talking about you. Zero evidence that Eberle has asked to be traded. Zero. Its the Taylor Hall character assassination all over again.

No problem dude. The board seems fully convinced that Caggiula and Slepyshev and Pitlick are all likely to provide of more next season. Outside of Slepyshev I doubt any of those guys even replicates what they did last season, never mind improves on it. Even more amusing is the guys expecting JP to duplicate what Draisaitl accomplished.

Yup. He gets beat along the boards multiple times every game. Meanwhile, players like Russel and Phaneuf are apparently over priced junk. I think its almost to the point where you could gauge consensus on this site and then be pretty sure that the opposite was closer to the truth.

It's getting ridiculous. It's like no one watches the players and just takes the media's word as gold.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Vegas still makes most sense for Ebs unless a team five deep on defense needs an offensive forward (NYI fits the bill best). Chia knows this, no doubt he's had talks with McPhee, and he probably has an idea of what he can get for Ebs from Vegas. We are in a position of strength for a change: good team, no cap issues, limited downside with only 4th line forwards, unproven backup goalie, and 6/7 dmen exposed. If NYI gives us a good deal on Hamonic then we go 4-4-1 and deal with Vegas to protect Kass. Otherwise we just deal Ebs to Vegas. We'll find out tomorrow AM as Chia is in a position to sweat out NYI right down to the deadline. They have the issue not us.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I firmly believe Eberle will still be an Oiler come opening night. Chia won't trade him unless the deal is right and if the trade talks are the right ones, it would of happened already.

Not if he's waiting for a trade for a d man. You'd have to wait until after expansion so it doesn't mess up our protection

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
p2kpqAv.jpg

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
I hate to hijack this thread but what's up with the comment regarding Buchberger and Eberle butted heads. I don't recall anything like that anybody remember?

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
temper expectations... Eberle has a very ugly contract. don't be surprised if it's a weak return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad