Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Expansion Trade Freeze zzzzz Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Okay, since you asked:

(1) Eberle is slightly older than Barrie, although perhaps not enough to be significant. Sakic has repeatedly stressed that the Avs need to get younger in the offseason.

(2) Eberle plays a less valuable position than Barrie. This is compounded by the fact that the Avs have been desperately searching for D-men for several years and they have no one within the organization to replace Barrie's skill set.

(3) Eberle makes slightly more money than Barrie and has one less contract year remaining.

(4) Eberle is represented by Newport Sports. You know, Newport, the agency that Pierre Lacroix refused to deal with for years and had a public spat with Don Meehan. The same Newport that represented ROR during his tenure with the Avs and the same agency that represented Barrie last year when the Avs went through an arbitration hearing with him. The Avs have a long history of not being able to negotiate with Newport. The end result, Eberle is unlikely to be re-sign IMO after two years.

Taking all of the above into consideration, why would the Avs make this trade? Oilers fans may respond with "well we will throw in a later round draft pick or prospect." If the Avs keep Barrie for two and a half seasons and trade him as a pending UFA at the TDL in 2020, they very well could net a late first round draft pick and a B level prospect based on history.

You add it all up and, like I stated previously, it would be a bizarre move by the Avs. It has no significant positive impact for the Avs in the short term and no foreseeable impact in the long term, at least on the surface.

Easy to refute this.

Point 1 is moot. Adding Eberle doesnt at all impact the AVs from moving forward with a rebuild. Balance is important.

Point 2 and 3 discounts the reality that Duchene is on his way out. This clears cap space and also allows for a bigger chip than Barrie to bring in a solid dman.

Point 4 is irrelevant. Sakic is in charge now.

Just because you dont like the move doesn't mean that its a bizarre notion.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Easy to refute this.

Point 1 is moot. Adding Eberle doesnt at all impact the AVs from moving forward with a rebuild. Balance is important.

Point 2 and 3 discounts the reality that Duchene is on his way out. This clears cap space and also allows for a bigger chip than Barrie to bring in a solid dman.

Point 4 is irrelevant. Sakic is in charge now.

Just because you dont like the move doesn't mean that its a bizarre notion.

I don't believe that you refuted any of my points, and I don't think you gave a very strong effort in all honesty.

How is Colorado more balanced if they trade from their biggest position of need? How does Eberle really help them improve as part of rebuild.

If the rationale behind all of this is based on "well, the Avs will trade Duchene for a defenseman and then draft a defenseman at pick no. 4 in the draft," I'm outta here, because that is video game logic.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post
How does a Barrie for Eberle trade make sense for Colorado? I would like to understand the reasoning, because I can count multiple reasons why it makes no sense for the Avs and frankly would be a bizarre move.
Duchene played RW for the Avs this season apparently and they have Jost, Mackinnon, Compher and Grigorenko at C.
If they look into Makar in the draft who is another riverboat gambler in a Barrie is mold to my understanding then they have an internal replacement.
Then you trade Duchene for a LHD+.

You would have a similar balance in the forward corps and your D would look much the same if Makar pans out and you have a big add on the left side to play top pair with Johnson.

Edit: You asked for a scenario where it made sense for them. This could be one. I am not saying Eberle is straight up worth Barrie but it could make sense in certain situations.

Edit 2: Saw your post above yes it is video game logic but the whole teams fans believe they are going into a rebuild so it really is not as far fetched as you would think especially when you hear Barrie's name is out there for a hockey trade and Eberle is in no world some scrub. Barrie was on the block last summer also so it is not unlike the avalanche are super attached after contract issues last summer.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
If we got Barrie for Ebs that would be a heist.

I think he'd put up 60 points here. He also plays with heart and grit. We would have to put up with some brianfarts but I think he'd be worth it.

He pushes the pace very well.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
1r1558.gif

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't believe that you refuted any of my points, and I don't think you gave a very strong effort in all honesty.

How is Colorado more balanced if they trade from their biggest position of need? How does Eberle really help them improve as part of rebuild.

If the rationale behind all of this is based on "well, the Avs will trade Duchene for a defenseman and then draft a defenseman at pick no. 4 in the draft," I'm outta here, because that is video game logic.

No need to strawman my position.

I never said 'more balanced'. I said that acquiring Eberle provides some balance and doesnt take away form a rebuild.

Please do expand on how and why this isnt true.

Also....you completely ignore the cap space that trading Duchene will create. An opportunity to acquire a dman that will impact he team more favorably that any possible return Barrie could deliver. Barrie played middle pairing minutes at best (basically none on the PK) last season and he has clearly fallen out of favor. He isnt returning as much as Duchene is.

Maybe the Eberle deal has other added elements. Maybe a draft pick add by the Oilers.

In any event calling this potential deal bizarre is hyperbole on your part.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Eberle and Reinhart for Barrie and a 3rd.

Barrie is what we need but he was almost Schultz bad for the Avs last year. I doubt they move him but he needs a change of scenery.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I can't believe it's been this quiet, you'd think some team not using their protection spots very well like Arizona would be dangling a couple picks out there to grab some players on the cheap from teams that can't protect a particular player or just a couple small trades to meet expansion draft requirements.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Didnt realize Schultz had 51 points this season...what did we get for him again?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Didnt realize Schultz had 51 points this season...what did we get for him again?

Satisfaction for most of HfOil that had been running him out of town for a long time.

I wonder if we'll feel the same way about Eberle should he rebound back into a 30g 70 p player

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Satisfaction for most of HfOil that had been running him out of town for a long time.

I wonder if we'll feel the same way about Eberle should he rebound back into a 30g 70 p player

Ever since we started turning the corner I feel like people are so damn pessimistic still and try and find scape goats. Schultz played like garbage and was not really put in a position to succeed as our D was crap. Behind Larsson he could of looked pretty decent.

If the guy on hear who says according to his source Eberle was playing with an injured elbow.
People seem to forget that Eberle hurt his shoulder in pre-season two years ago now and took awhile to round back into form before playing at a 55P pace and only playing 69 games.

So it is not like we have seen a healthy Eberle. We know he can be an offensive threat I think people are just salty he put up a great run down the stretch leading up to the playoffs and lost his game at an important time of the year. The guy has been on a **** team his whole career and has not complained if it was not for cap reasons I wouldnt trade him unless a fair deal came along. If we do not move him this year next year we will have to before McDavids contract kicks in.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Sometimes it's best to not overreact to some recent bad play and have patience.

#keepEbs

This is exactly the approach I am hoping Chiarelli takes. If there is a solid deal there then by all means take it.
Otherwise the team is better served by just keeping Eberle because the chances that he will be having a bounce back season is very high IMO.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
To be fair, he played like hot trash before that trade took place.

That's true, but he was hung out to dry on the top pair. Pittsburgh did a good job protecting him and maximizing his strengths (PP time and offensive starts). Barrie would benefit in the same way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad