Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | "Dollar In, Dollar Out"

Whose Dollars Are Out By The Trade Deadline?

• Tyson Barrie ($3,750,000)

• Ethan Bear ($2,000,000)

• Alex Chiasson ($2,150,000)

• Mikko Koskinen ($4,500,000)

• Adam Larsson ($4,166,666)

• James Neal ($5,750,000)

• Ryan Nugent-Hopkins ($6,000,000)

• Kyle Turris ($1,650,000)

• No Trades Made ($0,000,000)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I wouldn't say Markstrom is crashing and burning, so much as his team is crashing and burning around him. Holtby I didn't want, he had awful (and declining) numbers for the past 2 years on a contending team. Greiss, you are correct, is no better than what we have.

Markstrom has an .893 SV% going back to the end of January. The team isn't helping much, but he's been a dud since the hot start.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
It's better to spend a little more on goaltending as far as I see it.

If the goaltending is not good here, it doesn't matter if McDavid or Draisaitl win the Hart trophy, the team is not going to be any good and the likes of Barrie and RNH aren't going to do a damn thing.

Yeah, within reason I agree. Most teams on average are spending about $7-8m combined on their 2 goalies. We could use a $5m starter I have no doubt, but it has to be someone that we are more than "pretty sure" can provide us slightly above average starting goaltending for 50-60 games for at least 3 years. Even someone like a Markstrom that was the big UFA goalie last summer had some question marks around him. I'd like someone either on the younger side (ie: Merzlikins age 26, Ullmark age 27) or someone around 30 that has proven to be durable and steady for a number of years already.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Looking at the UFA pool there is only one guy who I would actually bet money on to come here and outplay Koskinen, and that is Grubauer. I'd take a shot at Ullmark but I am not going to bet the house on him.

Yup. Grubauer is the clear cut #1, but even he worries me with how easy this season has been for him. A 1.96 xGA/60 is pretty nuts. Throw him behind a defense that puts up a 2.69 xGA/60(Koskinen's numbers) instead and I'm not sure what he looks like.

I'd probably roll the dice on Ullmark, Driedger or Mrazek assuming the price is right.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Save percentage will be crap when your team gives up a ton of high percentage chances. Markstrom has rarely been the Flames' problem, is all I'm saying.

He isn't facing a ton of high percentage chances though. He's right near the bottom of the league in xGA/60 in that time. He's just been really bad.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Edler and Pearson 50% retained for Bear, Chiasson, and Benson. Salary is close. Might need to add a Shore or Nygaard contract to make it work. I’m sure most wont like giving up Bear and Benson for rentals but it doesn’t hurt us too bad going forward with Bouchard stepping in for Bear and Benson in tough to not be waiver fodder next camp.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Edler and Pearson 50% retained for Bear, Chiasson, and Benson. Salary is close. Might need to add a Shore or Nygaard contract to make it work. I’m sure most wont like giving up Bear and Benson for rentals but it doesn’t hurt us too bad going forward with Bouchard stepping in for Bear and Benson in tough to not be waiver fodder next camp.
We can get actual value for Bear if we move him. We don't need to dump him for rentals thank you.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah, within reason I agree. Most teams on average are spending about $7-8m combined on their 2 goalies. We could use a $5m starter I have no doubt, but it has to be someone that we are more than "pretty sure" can provide us slightly above average starting goaltending for 50-60 games for at least 3 years.

Yup. The Oilers should commit to spending at least $7-8 million in net (both goalies).

We're not one of those teams that can just get by with OK to bad goaltending.

1 of Andersen + Grubauer + Rask + Kuemper
1 of Dreidger + Raanta + Bernier

That sort of thing.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Like what?

I have no inside info, but I have to think a 23 year old d-man that might be able to play in a team's top 4 for $2m could be a piece in acquiring a goalie or a forward upgrade.

For example, I'm pretty interested in Merzlikins and pondering if maybe Bear + Koskinen (retain $1.5m) and 2022 2nd round pick could do it.

That's just an example. But I think most of us would prefer not using him to acquire players like Pearson and Edler who are not going to be long-term pieces for us.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Yeah, his bread-and-butter skills still seem to be there, the difference is that he just isn't scoring. Some of that is on him, because the results are unacceptable, but his utilization and linemates has also been questionable from what I understand. He's been playing LW for Riley Sheahan at times this season...

I always thought Hall would be more of a natural goal scorer than he has ended up being. His first couple years in the league point to a player with perennial 30+ goal ability, but for whatever reason, it didn't turn out that way as he became more of a set-up man in year 3 and beyond. However, if you give him a linemate that can finish, I'd fully expect that he's still a valuable top line calibre player.
Hall made a conscious effort to improve his playmaking after his first season. He was being called a puck hog because he had a shoot first mentality so he tried to work on his assists the following season. After that he never really had that shoot first mentality again:

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Hall made a conscious effort to improve his playmaking after his first season. He was being called a puck hog because he had a shoot first mentality so he tried to work on his assists the following season. After that he never really had that shoot first mentality again:

I guess he did have shoulder surgery after his sophomore season too. I wonder if that took a little bit of zip off of his shot and he tried to adapt accordingly?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Hell no.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Why are people on here trashing Bear and wanting to trade him away after he's shown everyone that he's getting back into top 4 D form after his injury? Are people just blind? Or do fans just want to trade away players the moment they start getting great?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

If the goaltending is not good here, it doesn't matter if McDavid or Draisaitl win the Hart trophy, the team is not going to be any good and the likes of Barrie and RNH aren't going to do a damn thing.

We've that over and over again here even this season. I would tell Buffalo they will never, ever get out of that dark hole they're in until they get a good NHL starter, you cannot go anywhere with a young team without a good goalie.

I would look at tandem options, so Dreigder as the 1B younger guy and maybe Frederik Andersen on a short term 2-year deal or something. He hasn't been that great this year but he's playing through injury.
Andersen was an absolute rock for several years in TO but for the last two years he has suffered from the same issues as the recent Oiler goalies. Good some of the time, and flat out awful the rest. I doubt you get him unless you are willing to give him term and money. Dreigder has 29 NHL games and only two years ago was still splitting time in the ECHL. His numbers in Florida are very good so he's going to cost you. You may well spend all your additional capital and end up with no better than you have right now.

Reactions: GOilers88

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

We've that over and over again here even this season. I would tell Buffalo they will never, ever get out of that dark hole they're in until they get a good NHL starter, you cannot go anywhere with a young team without a good goalie.

I would look at tandem options, so Dreigder as the 1B younger guy and maybe Frederik Andersen on a short term 2-year deal or something. He hasn't been that great this year but he's playing through injury.

Agree goaltending is the number one issue. If we just had someone roloson calibre to count on in the playoffs I think this squad could do damage.

I'm very wary of a high price goalie like markstrom or holtby being the solution. Best imo is Gibson.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Andersen was an absolute rock for several years in TO but for the last two years he has suffered from the same issues as the recent Oiler goalies. Good some of the time, and flat out awful the rest. I doubt you get him unless you are willing to give him term and money. Dreigder has 29 NHL games and only two years ago was still splitting time in the ECHL. His numbers in Florida are very good so he's going to cost you. You may well spend all your additional capital and end up with no better than you have right now.

What we have now is pretty good, we just can't keep it I don't think because of Smith's age. Betting a season next year on a 40 year old goalie is incredibly risky.

Andersen being a bit down can help us get him for cheaper I think. Before he signed here, Smith had a down year in Calgary, that probably helped us sign him for cheap.

Darcy Kuemper's price has probably come down, but you would need a strong 1B there in case he gets hurt.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Why are people on here trashing Bear and wanting to trade him away after he's shown everyone that he's getting back into top 4 D form after his injury? Are people just blind? Or do fans just want to trade away players the moment they start getting great?
I don’t think many people are saying to give him away for nothing. The fact is we have Barrie Larrson Bear and Bouchard all vying for RD time. Bouchard is ready to play 3rd pair minutes right now and Barrie has been lights out. We can’t Re sign both Barrie and Larsson without moving a guy and Bear seems to be the most likely candidate.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

Chill out. Putting him in a trade proposal does not equate to trashing him. It’s fairly obvious he’s getting dealt if Holland has plans of bringing Barrie and Larsson back. It’s called dealing from an area of strength to address weakness.

Reactions: Oilers90

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
What we have now is pretty good, we just can't keep it I don't think because of Smith's age. Betting a season next year on a 40 year old goalie is incredibly risky.

Andersen being a bit down can help us get him for cheaper I think. Before he signed here, Smith had a down year in Calgary, that probably helped us sign him for cheap.

Darcy Kuemper's price has probably come down, but you would need a strong 1B there in case he gets hurt.
I don't disagree that longterm goaltending has to be addressed. But I am not sure this is the year to use limited capital on long term commitments that are risky as far as goal is concerned. I am all for exploring opportunities. But I think you are better of making sure that you don't subtract form what you already have up front and on defense to pay for goalies.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Hall has been a good transition player, even this year.

Screenshot-788.png

and the King

Screenshot-789.png

What website is this from?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't disagree that longterm goaltending has to be addressed. But I am not sure this is the year to use limited capital on long term commitments that are risky as far as goal is concerned. I am all for exploring opportunities. But I think you are better of making sure that you don't subtract form what you already have up front and on defense to pay for goalies.

This isn't a "long term" problem though. This is "do you want to go back to missing the playoffs immediately" problem.

The Oilers cannot make due without good goaltending. They fell off a cliff after their "breakthrough" 16-17 season as Talbot slumped and there's a fair chance that happens again as Smith ages or isn't brought back unless they are on the ball with bringing in solid goaltending.

They need to make sure every year they are good in this area.

The Adam Larssons and Tyson Barries and Nugent Hopkins of the world don't mean shit to the Oilers if they don't have a good goalie behind them. This group was a horrendous 3-6 in the first 9 games before Smith came back and righted the ship.

Some teams (usually veteran teams) are good enough to shrug off stretches of bad goaltending, this team ain't one of them. You can see it clear as day, they get deflated badly when the goaltending behind them isn't solid (as do other young teams like Toronto and Vancouver).

Reactions: stratedge

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Like what?
A goalie upgrade would be the first thing I would look at. The Merzlikins suggestion is a good one, he could be a piece in a Gibson trade if he demands a trade to a better team. Part of a package for Darcy Kuemper.

Regardless, we don't really need Edler, and Pearson shouldn't cost what you are suggesting.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don’t think many people are saying to give him away for nothing. The fact is we have Barrie Larrson Bear and Bouchard all vying for RD time. Bouchard is ready to play 3rd pair minutes right now and Barrie has been lights out. We can’t Re sign both Barrie and Larsson without moving a guy and Bear seems to be the most likely candidate.
Two of those are unrestricted free agents this summer. We can't afford to re-sign both unless we get rid of some expendable big contracts, let Nuge walk away, or don't look for a goaltending upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad