Rumor: Rumours & Proposals - (Chia discussion will be met with a threadban)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I can't help but wonder if Karlsson is actually available.

I'd do Klef + RNH + lottery protected first + sweetener for Karlsson + Duchene or Pageau+capdump.

I wonder if that gets it done.
We'd be giving assets with long term control for assets with only a year or two left to UFA.

We can't even negotiate an extension for Karlsson until the summer.

And I highly doubt a sign-and-trade, or even trade-and-sign are in the cards. It just never happens, and it seems that whenver it is attempted, it fails. The player at the center of it has too much power, and the team that he picks usually ends up just waiting for him to be UFA.

Imo if we want Karlsson, just trade Klef straight up for him now and risk Karlsson walking for nothing two summers from now. Odds are that he would re-sign with us to play with McDavid and our other talent. If we really want him, imo that is the only way.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We'd be giving assets with long term control for assets with only a year or two left to UFA.

And I highly doubt a sign-and-trade, or even trade-and-sign are in the cards. It just never happens, and it seems that whenver it is attempted, it fails. The player at the center of it has too much power, and the team that he picks usually ends up just waiting for him to be UFA.

Imo if we want Karlsson, just trade Klef straight up for him now and risk Karlsson walking for nothing two summers from now. Odds are that he would re-sign with us to play with McDavid and our other talent. If we really want him, imo that is the only way.
As if the Sens would trade Karlsson for Klefbom straight up. We would still have to add Nuge/Pulju or a first even for a rental Karlsson.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Dreger on 1260 right now:
-"Chiarelli should be and still is interested in Hoffman."

-Stated that Hall for Ceci was a done deal, but Ottawa was waiting on Ottawa's ownership to approve it. Chiarelli pulled the trigger on the Larsson deal instead. Nielson asked if there would have been more coming back had that deal gone through and Dreeger said "I don't think so. No". ***This is not to rehash old deals as there are threads for that, just relaying the info I heard***

-Missed the part about Paciorrety (sp?) but basically said "buyer beware".

First of all, what a f***ing hack Dreger is. Why even bring that up now? Moron.
Secondly, if this is even remotely true, what in the living f*** are you doing Chia? I just can't believe this is true just for the sake of my sanity.

Also, do NOT trade the 1st rounder in a package for Hoffman. This is the Oilers chance to get a legit puckmoving Dman and I know "magic bean" and all that but I'd rather have a bean that has a chance to turn into a #1 Dman than not.

North

Jun 25, 2009
First of all, what a ****ing hack Dreger is. Why even bring that up now? Moron.
Secondly, if this is even remotely true, what in the living **** are you doing Chia? I just can't believe this is true just for the sake of my sanity.

Also, do NOT trade the 1st rounder in a package for Hoffman. This is the Oilers chance to get a legit puckmoving Dman and I know "magic bean" and all that but I'd rather have a bean that has a chance to turn into a #1 Dman than not.

It's Dreger. Grain of salt is always needed.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Panic trading Hall for a good but not great defensive dman was not the answer. Chia should have stayed the course until trades were available that made sense, instead he dealt Hall and Eberle for peanuts.

It's baffling how we've got the same holes we had before he was hired despite him trading away so many valuable assets. Now we're running out of players to trade away and our prospect cupboards are bare.

Peter Chiarelli had two years to address that hole in the lineup. He used year one to assess what he had on the roster. At the end of year two the salary cap becomes the hurdle and you lose significant negotiating leverage as seen with the aforementioned Eberle deal. In that one year did you see any franchise defensemen shake loose? No, because they never do. We got a young, cheap, physical, character defenseman who will be with the team for a very long time.

And if you look at the roster today vs when he was hired, your assessment is wrong. We don't need a goalie. Don't need an entire defense. But we do need a few offensive wingers, who were plentiful at the end of MacT's tenure. And they're generally pretty accessible. You guys just need to let the dream of the franchise defenseman die.

Reactions: Night Witch

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
Dreger is credible and has ties to upper management in Edmonton. If he's reporting this, I have no doubts it's true.

Someone on Kingsway obviously leaked this. Someone who disagreed on moving Hall. Someone who wants Chiarelli out.

Would suspect one of Lowe, MacT, or Gretzky.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
As if the Sens would trade Karlsson for Klefbom straight up. We would still have to add Nuge/Pulju or a first even for a rental Karlsson.
I don't think so.

What is the precedent for that?

Look at our Pronger trades. We had Pronger virtually signed, and that costed us Brewer and spare parts. We traded him to Anaheim with 4 years left, and got Lupul, Smid, and a pick. Imo Klefbom is even too generous, and with your proposal I'd expect it to be for a signed Karlsson, and definitely not a rental.

And if you think those deals were just bad, then fine. What are better comparable deals?

North

Jun 25, 2009
Dreger is credible and has ties to upper management in Edmonton. If he's reporting this, I have no doubts it's true.

Someone on Kingsway obviously leaked this. Someone who disagreed on moving Hall. Someone who wants Chiarelli out.

Dreger is not credible.

He doesn't have ties to upper management.

Where did you get that info?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Dreger is not credible.

He doesn't have ties to upper management.

Where did you get that info?
It's not info, it's speculation.

The Oilers have rarely let much leak since they silenced MacT's giant yap. The best source we have on the Oilers is SpeedyTurtle.

Last edited:

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

That's kind of the point.

Don't think Ottawa does it otherwise. Long term cost control is their major carrot. You don't give up talent like Karlsson otherwise.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

That's because you want it to be true to have more bullets to fire at Chia. Dreger is a hack, he throws a whole bunch of shit against the wall that rarely sticks. Friedman is trending in that direction also unfortunately.

Reactions: North

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005

Haha. Thanks for the laugh today.

"
i-believe-every-word-that-man-just-said-because-its-exactly-what-i-wanted-to-hear.jpg

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I think some of you are in denial ( the ones going after Dreger). Why would he make something up out of thin air? There had to be at least some smoke there. I think you're afraid to say it but lets all say it together now : CHIARELLI SUCKS!
I will not be watching another Oilers game until this goof is punted. And so far so good in 2018 as i have managed to avoid the last 2 fantastic games against Win and LA

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Peter Chiarelli had two years to address that hole in the lineup. He used year one to assess what he had on the roster. At the end of year two the salary cap becomes the hurdle and you lose significant negotiating leverage as seen with the aforementioned Eberle deal. In that one year did you see any franchise defensemen shake loose? No, because they never do. We got a young, cheap, physical, character defenseman who will be with the team for a very long time.

And if you look at the roster today vs when he was hired, your assessment is wrong. We don't need a goalie. Don't need an entire defense. But we do need a few offensive wingers, who were plentiful at the end of MacT's tenure. And they're generally pretty accessible. You guys just need to let the dream of the franchise defenseman die.
Maybe we don't get a franchise dman but a top pairing guy and an offensive RHD is not too much to ask for with all the pieces he had available to move. We got neither of those.

Say what you want about Lowe but he acquired 3 top pairing dmen when he was here (arguably 4 if you include that half season of Whitney before his injury) and spent far less to acquire them. Chia has traded a 1st round pick in a deep draft (used to draft a future superstar in Barzal), a 2nd, an elite top 10 winger, and a consistent 25 goal scorer and all he has to show for it is a one dimensional second pairing dman and a mediocre third liner.

The major problem with our D is that there's no room to upgrade due to bad contracts and NMCs. Russell is the odd man out back there and we're stuck with him for 4 years. We don't have room to add a top 4 offensive RHD because we're spending 4mil on a bottom pairing pylon who's only useful trait is his ability to get hit by pucks.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think some of you are in denial ( the ones going after Dreger). Why would he make something up out of thin air? There had to be at least some smoke there. I think you're afraid to say it but lets all say it together now : CHIARELLI SUCKS!
I will not be watching another Oilers game until this goof is punted. And so far so good in 2018 as i have managed to avoid the last 2 fantastic games against Win and LA

Yeah and some of you are out on a witch hunt (not to say that Chia doesn't deserve criticism)

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Because since Dave Nonis left the Leafs organization, when Dreger was a valid source to all things Leafs, he's had to resort to stirring the pot in interviews and on Twitter. His quality of reporting involving player movement is Eklund level a this point.

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Amazing.

So many excuses.

Debate the individual deals all you like but this is Chia’s team and it’s going down the drain in spectacular fashion.
He’s given up value in trades here and in Boston.
He’s traded away young stars here and in Boston.
He’s over paid players in term and money here and in Boston.
He is as advertised.

We had a good run last season on the strength of two players he didn’t bring here and a goalie (that Sather reportedly gave him as a favour to MacT).

In Boston he sold them out for a cup. We got a second round game 7.

There were no huge surprises. No catastrophic injuries. Yet, here we are.
The coaching staff has it’s issues but the roster is flawed to start with. Many could see issues last year.

IMO anyone defending this nonsense while the season fades away, after the GM took the summer off, is either just digging in on their stated opinion, oblivious or completely okay with losing.

I don’t know every stat or who was or wasn’t available but missing the playoffs in McDavid’s third season is absolutely unforgivable.
We should be contending instead of staring down the lottery.

I would love to be wrong. I would love for the turnaround to start tonight.

Doesn’t seem likely.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

They meet Dreger at midnight in a dimly lit parkade behind a veil of cigarette smoke and speak in a gravely voice with a fedora pushed low over their eyes to pass this info on.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Yeah and some of you are out on a witch hunt (not to say that Chia doesn't deserve criticism)

We just care about the team a lot and are concerned after being pummeled by 2 teams that we were able to beat last year and are a long ways away from the playoffs at this point in time. I just cant sit back and watch the GM downgrade all of our assets and the coaching operating an atrocious special teams despite the plethora of talent on the team. If that's a witch hunt then yeah, I'm guilty as charged

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

The one...the only...

SPEEDYTURTLE!!! :sarcasm:

(I kid, I kid).

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Also, Oiler offices haven’t been on Kingsway for a year and a half btw.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's not info, it's speculation.

The Oilers have rarely let much leak since they silenced MacT's giant yap. The best source we have on the Oilers is SpeedyTurtle.
Usually because there's f*** all happening. The team has needed an improvement since May...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad