Rumor: Rumours & Proposals - (Chia discussion will be met with a threadban)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If we are going to move on from Maroon eventually, we will be looking for LWers. Maybe we could use the rest of the season to try out Duclair, and maybe trade out Maroon by the deadline as well. But of course Arizona won't take Maroon. It would be separate deals.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Subban was shopped to Edmonton but deal was nixed by Chiarelli according to Bergevin. Bergevin was asking for Drai, Klefbom and a 1st rd pick. So Edmonton could have landed the big RHD but Chiarelli couldn't pull the trigger. Imagine that having an Art Ross and Norris trophy winners, an elite centre and dman? That's one trade I would have made!!!
Draisaitl, Klefbom and Puljujarvi for Subban at 9M is a bad deal. People think the team is lacking depth now, how bad would it look with those three out of the picture?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If we are going to move on from Maroon eventually, we will be looking for LWers. Maybe we could use the rest of the season to try out Duclair, and maybe trade out Maroon by the deadline as well. But of course Arizona won't take Maroon. It would be separate deals.
Maybe Cagguila, 2nd for Duclair, 3rd
See what Ty Rattie (AHL All Star this Year) can do?

Duclair - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Draisaitl - Rattie
Slepyshev - RNH - Strome
?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I disagree with this (I could be wrong though). I recall most fans wanting us to keep Huddy. I had agreed that the coaching had to go, but I wanted us to keep Huddy, and it seemed like most agreed.

Fans want coaches gone when their results are bad. Huddy seemed to do a good job all the time. It wasn't even a momentary dip that led up to his firing. It was just a mindless desire to wipe everyone away

I'm fairly certain people wanted him gone. Keep in mind the team was coming off a 38-35 season, which at the time was pretty bad considering how consistent the Oilers had been (save one really bad season immediately post-Pronger).

I'd be pretty happy with 38-35 this year lol.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Maybe. Although I feel like having a right shot on that line would benefit Drai greatly. So I could maybe see Drai and Duclair and then a bigger bodied right shot but we would need one of those too.
Honestly, I would offer Strome and Slepyshev (and maybe a pick) for Duclair and Reider, I think that would make a nice fit.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Who does Duclair play with. He is 5'11", left shot 185 pounds. He is better than Slepyshev and Cagguila which is nice but I mean...anything more than a meh prospect and a 3rd would be a scary overpay.

True, but the franchise is stuck in the same cycle over and over again because they are not thinking outside the box. Sometime's you need to take a little bit of risk. If it doesn't work out , you lose a couple of prospects and middling players. If it hits you take of as a team. Problem with this organization is that they hand out talent on a whim, but don't acquire talent on a whim. Duclair is sitting right there for the taking. No significant players might need to be moved and he could be had.

Earlier this year Athanasiou was another player that we could have gunned for, cheap contract , young, fast talented, big. We took no interest. Clearly this roster is not working out too well. the mix this year is wrong. Moving forward you need to try different combinations because these guys are not going to get much better as is.

Imagine if the Oilers failed to make the playoffs next year. This current group is not going to get it done. Strome, Benning, Caggiula, Letestu, etc simply need to be purged moving forward. It took career years from Draisaitl, Klefbom, McDavid taking off, Talbot , Letestu, Larsson, Maroon just to make it last year. That will not happen again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 48g90a138pts

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
True, but the franchise is stuck in the same cycle over and over again because they are not thinking outside the box. Sometime's you need to take a little bit of risk. If it doesn't work out , you lose a couple of prospects and middling players. If it hits you take of as a team. Problem with this organization is that they hand out talent on a whim, but don't acquire talent on a whim. Duclair is sitting right there for the taking. No significant players might need to be moved and he could be had.
I agree there. I am okay with going for him but giving up anything with actual value would be a mistake.

Like I said in another post I think it might be worth giving Rattie a chance with the club. Having a good AHL year on a bad team and he shoots right.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Draisaitl, Klefbom and Puljujarvi for Subban at 9M is a bad deal. People think the team is lacking depth now, how bad would it look with those three out of the picture?
I'm not just piling on a slumping Klef to say this, but imo if we could have foreseen Nurse rising up, that deal isn't so bad. Although, I might say no just because Drai is so critical. As for JP, that would be a tough loss too, but I feel we could find those wingers elsewhere.

And just the thought of Subban for our D would be so incredible. Transformative, not just for the defense too, but to unlock more offensive potential from our forwards. They need better support from the back end, and Subban is a nuclear option.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Scrounging and hoping for a guy like Duclair to be found treasure is reminding me of the days the Oilers were scooping up Krys Kolanos and Ryan Potulny .

We should be better than this right now.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm not just piling on a slumping Klef to say this, but imo if we could have foreseen Nurse rising up, that deal isn't so bad. Although, I might say no just because Drai is so critical. As for JP, that would be a tough loss too, but I feel we could find those wingers elsewhere.

And just the thought of Subban for our D would be so incredible. Transformative, not just for the defense too, but to unlock more offensive potential from our forwards. They need better support from the back end, and Subban is a nuclear option.
Yes but then our entire forward core is decimated. No Draisaitl, Puljujarvi. Hall would of probably still been traded for Larsson. So we have a good D core but literally nothing up front.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Scrounging and hoping for a guy like Duclair to be found treasure is reminding me of the days the Oilers were scooping up Krys Kolanos and Ryan Potulny .

look at the standings though. Maybe it's a bit early to try this, but one of the benefits of having a bad season is that you can make those meaningless games meaningful. Turn it into an interview period for next season. The real selling point to me is that we wouldn't have to pay a ton to get him, and more importantly, for next season we don't just want some depth wingers, but we'd want depth wingers at a low cap hit.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

Duclair is a much better/Dynamic player then those guys. Cmon bro lol . But true we should be much better then this.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yes but then our entire forward core is decimated. No Draisaitl, Puljujarvi. Hall would of probably still been traded for Larsson. So we have a good D core but literally nothing up front.
The Hall trade probably does not happen if we had Subban. Not only would the desire for a RHD be a lot less, but the desire to preserve our forward depth would have been greater.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The Hall trade probably does not happen if we had Subban. Not only would the desire for a RHD be a lot less, but the desire to preserve our forward depth would have been greater.
There is also the rumors that they just wanted to move on from Hall period.

Lucic - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Maroon - RNH - Eberle

Nurse - Subban
Sekera - Larsson

Might not actually be awful?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Duclair is a much better/Dynamic player then those guys. Cmon bro lol . But true we should be much better then this.

Potulny actually looked really good visually in his short time with the Oilers. Mediocre players can look decent given enough ice time on bad teams. Which is what I think happened with Duclair in his first year with Arizona.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I haven't been in this thread for a while... but if you can get Duclair for a 3rd... that's a steal. He's a legitimately good prospect who has good top 6 upside... and a 3rd round pick (used to choose a likely mid tier 18 year old player) is no certainty to ever even sniff an NHL game whereas Duclair already has close to 200 NHL games of development under his belt.

In fact... that's pretty much exactly the time to acquire a player like that... at 22 and closing in on 3 seasons worth of games... you are getting them at the time they are likely to really start to show what they have at the NHL level... and if they don't in a year or two you move on as they are likely a bust but you'll find that out pretty quickly all for the low cost of a 3rd rounder (potentially).

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Subban was shopped to Edmonton but deal was nixed by Chiarelli according to Bergevin. Bergevin was asking for Drai, Klefbom and a 1st rd pick. So Edmonton could have landed the big RHD but Chiarelli couldn't pull the trigger. Imagine that having an Art Ross and Norris trophy winners, an elite centre and dman? That's one trade I would have made!!!
[/QUOTE]

Rumor was Drai, Klef/Nurse, 2017 1st (Puljujarvi) "and another prospect".

There's no chance in hell Chiarelli makes that trade for anyone in the NHL. That would have made us worse.

Bergevin was just shooting for the moon on that one. He had no intention of trading him the the Oilers, he had his mind set on Weber. That ask was so ridiculous you can't take it seriously, Subban was never coming to Edmonton. Period.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
There is also the rumors that they just wanted to move on from Hall period.

Lucic - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Maroon - RNH - Eberle

Nurse - Subban
Sekera - Larsson

Might not actually be awful?
my guess is that they did not want Hall gone, but that they picked him as their preferred trade asset. They probably would have been okay with keeping him if the big trade they wanted didn't involve Hall. Sometimes you take what the universe gives you, and change your plans.

Also, the rumored trade would mean we don't have JP.

And btw, for all we know, Chia wanted that trade. The speculation was that this deal was contingent on Columbus taking JP, and so the Habs could take Dubois. Those x-factors like the Habs-francophone connection are big catalysts to deals. I actually believe it completely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad