Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This. I really don’t give a **** if Vancouver is better than us next year. They’re burning their cap space on guys that aren’t difference makers.

I’d much rather have cap next season to add something significant.
I rather not to be honest. I rather build a respectfully team with quality depth and make some changes when you are ready for the next step.

UFA route is a very dangerous route to make significant changes

As of today there aren't a lot of young free agents available next year. Adding a 29-31 year old on a 6-7 year deal just seems like making past mistakes again.

Hopefully at some point we are looking at adding salary through a hockey trade and not free agency

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
"Having cap room for next summer! Or better yet, two years from now!"

Is going to become the new

"You have to lose a trade or two!!!"

LOL.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

North

Jun 25, 2009
I rather not to be honest. I rather build a respectfully team with quality depth and make some changes when you are ready for the next step.

As of today there aren't a lot of young free agents available next year. Adding a 29-31 year old on a 6-7 year deal just seems like making past mistakes again.

Hopefully at some point we are looking at adding salary through a hockey trade and not free agency

I’m okay with this too but we may need to dip in to at least sign one competent top six winger.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Ferland is 27 and looks like he's signing to a fairly cheap 4 year deal.

So no, it didn't have to be a 30 year old demanding a 6-7 year contract.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I remembering thinking Vancouver was gonna be bad for a long time...

They are leapfrogging us like it aint no thing.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
@Aceboogie

Lmao. Gardiner is one of the best #3 D in the league. Dude is as good, if not better, than prime 2016 Sekera. Maybe the term would be a little long, but 5.5 would be incredible value. Considering friggen Nurse might be looking at 7 mil

Not only is Jake Gardiner NOT one of the best #3D in the NHL, he's not a #3D on a good team. He's a 30 year old who gives up more five bell chances against than any current Oilers defenseman. Leafs fans hated him. The entire comparison to Andrej Sekera is bizarre since they aren't actually alike as defenseman. Sekera at his best is a smart, poised defenseman who makes intelligent passes.

Signing a pure second pairing defender @ 30, who is prone to massive bone-headed mistakes to a 5.5M deal for 5 years is one of the worst decisions I can think of. Which is why no team has signed him and why when he does sign, it won't be 5x5.5.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Ferland is 27 and looks like he's signing to a fairly cheap 4 year deal.

So no, it didn't have to be a 30 year old demanding a 6-7 year contract.
I'm more talking about next year when we are looking at a significant add. Ferland is a good add, but I wouldn't consider him significant. Guy is a middle six forward.

If we can find a couple deals like Ferland's next year I'd love it, what I won't love is going big game hunting on Krieder or Schenn and getting screwed over 3 years later

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm more talking about next year when we are looking at a significant add. Ferland is a good add, but I wouldn't consider him significant. Guy is a middle six forward.

If we can find a couple deals like Ferland's next year I'd love it, what I won't love is going big game hunting on Krieder or Schenn and getting screwed over 3 years later

If you're going to flush a year down the toilet to wait a year to sign a Ferland type next year ... why not just do that this year and give the team a fighting chance?

lol.

You're not getting Kreider or Schenn for 3.5 million per.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Great deal for Canucks... IF he can stay healthy

Pretty good forward depth in Van

Yeah that’s the key, lots of rumours that it took this long for him to sign due to teams being worried about his concussion history.

I’m guessing the 4 year term is what brought down the cap hit.

Reactions: Oilhawks

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
If you're going to flush a year down the toilet to wait a year to sign a Ferland type next year ... why not just do that this year and give the team a fighting chance?

lol.

You're not limited to 3.5M next year.

"Flushing the year" is irrelevant. Ferland is 15-20 goals, 30-40 points in a 2 or 3line role. Until I hear that the Oilers are no longer working on a winger, preferably without 4 years term, I won't be sad that we missed out on a soft option like that.

Reactions: Seachd

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

lol.

This really wasn't where I was going with the post. I was suggesting taking the cheaper depth guys now instead of breaking the bank next year as the poster was suggesting with all our cap space next year to make that big change.

I want to stay as far away from big game hunting on July 1st 2020 as possible. It will more than likely cause us more issues.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I got the Pacific as

1.) Calgary or San Jose
2.) San Jose or Calgary
3.) Las Vegas
4.) Vancouver
5.) Edmonton
6.) Arizona
7.) Anaheim
8.) LA

I'm being nice by putting Edmonton at 5 over Arizona, they could be lower than that.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You're not limited to 3.5M next year.

"Flushing the year" is irrelevant. Ferland is 15-20 goals, 30-40 points in a 2 or 3line role. Until I hear that the Oilers are no longer working on a winger, preferably without 4 years term, I won't be sad that we missed out on a soft option like that.

Who is even left, lol?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
JP for Roussel?

Would fit that role of third liner for JP that Holland was looking for.

And for what it's worth Roussel played like 30 seconds a game less than Ferland

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Who is even left, lol?

That have a good lein on scoring as many goals as Ferlund? Like 5 or 6 guys and then there's the trade market.

Soundwave, I'm not sure how many different people (including the GM, multiple times since July 1) need to tell you this is something they're working on. 4 year term on some crap like Ferlund doesn't get you a solid line-up. It gets you dead cap in a summer you might have a chance at upgrading.

Tomas Vanek is a better option for the Oilers than Michael Ferlund based on cap and we don't have much reason to think they want to resort to that.

I got the Pacific as.

Yeah, imma stop you right there.

This is a dumb thing to do in September, let alone July 10.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That have a good lein on scoring as many goals as Ferlund? Like 5 or 6 guys and then there's the trade market.

Soundwave, I'm not sure how many different people (including the GM, multiple times since July 1) need to tell you this is something they're working on. 4 year term on some crap like Ferlund doesn't get you a solid line-up. It gets you dead cap in a summer you might have a chance at upgrading.

Tomas Vanek is a better option for the Oilers than Michael Ferlund based on cap and we don't have much reason to think they want to resort to that.

Yeah, imma stop you right there.

This is a dumb thing to do in September, let alone July 10.

Rosters don't change that much between July 10 and September.

Even if the Oilers sign like Vanek ... I still think those rankings stay about the same.

Vancouver was already better than the Oilers a year ago and added 3 solid players + are getting Hughes on the back end.

Reactions: MisterD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad