Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Soli Stinks, and Yak Yakking His Way Out, Mod Post #642

Status
Not open for further replies.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Undoubtedly? I have many doubts. I will be flat out stunned if Nurse becomes a #1 d-man. He has as much hockey sense as Nail Yakupov. Zero hockey IQ.

yup, just none

nurse is going to make his living by being physically dominating, and by willing to stand up for his team mates (both through fighting, and by imposing his physical will on other teams).... i think he's going to have a fine career, but as a #4-6 dman, who has severe limitations to his game

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I see a lot of Pronger in Nurse. Pronger never really started putting up points until his 7th year in the league and he was never really a big goal scorer. Once Nurse matures I think we will see some 40+ point seasons from him.

pronger had 25 points in his first NHL season, and 35 in his 2nd season.... nurse will never hit 35 points in a season in his entire career.... i honestly question whether he'll ever hit 25 points

ridiculous comparison

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Trade Nurse for Hamonic. Sign Demers. Hey look, the D's better.

It doesn't have to be those specific moves, but it shows that there's moves to make that don't involve trading off the core.

these are two moves that i would LOVE to see

sekera-hamonic
klefbom-demers
davidson-fayne

that is an actual NHL defence... not a great one, but maybe roughly average

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
pronger had 25 points in his first NHL season, and 35 in his 2nd season.... nurse will never hit 35 points in a season in his entire career.... i honestly question whether he'll ever hit 25 points

ridiculous comparison

Stoll was on the radio today.
He talked about the '06 run.
I miss Pronger.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
His passing was elite in the WJC? The tournament where he had one assist?

I have not once seen Nurse threaten with his shot from the blue line. Literally not once. The only time it happened was in what... his first or second game? When he got a goal off a deflection coming off the defenders stick.

He doesn't do that yet because he hasn't figured out his timing and spacing yet in the offensive zone - largely because he barely spends any time there, as he's deployed as a shutdown guy. Give him time. I know it's in vogue to mercilessly bash anyone not named Connor right now but the kid is 21.

For all the people playing 20/20 draft hindsight with Ristolainen, he gets absolutely fed in his own zone. Only his offense is keeping him afloat. Another hard summer of training and a non-slug D partner would do Nurse absolute wonders.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I would give up just about anything outside of McDavid for Karlsson.

Did a little tabulating earlier.

Mike Hoffman: 28 goals. Karlsson assisted on 12 of them.

Taylor Hall: 25 goals. All Oilers D combined assisted on 10 of them.

You could safely add 3 goals to every one of our top 6 forwards if we had Karlsson.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta

ridiculous comparison
I've said all along that Hamonic is actually a pretty good comparison for Nurse with regards to offensive output. They had similar numbers in the CHL and while Hamonic's rookie year was vastly superior, I see Nurse being a 25-30 point kind of guy who could put up a few more points in a career season. I just don't see the creativity or skillset of a regular 40+ point defenceman though - he's likely going to settle into a second pairing shutdown role.

Steve Staios is another good offensive comparison for Nurse in my view.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I've said all along that Hamonic is actually a pretty good comparison for Nurse with regards to offensive output. They had similar numbers in the CHL and while Hamonic's rookie year was vastly superior, I see Nurse being a 25-30 point kind of guy who could put up a few more points in a career season. I just don't see the creativity or skillset of a regular 40+ point defenceman though - he's likely going to settle into a second pairing shutdown role.

Steve Staios is another good offensive comparison for Nurse in my view.

A bigger Jason Smith with more offense and better skating. And Gator was an absolute warrior. Guys were terrified of him.

JJTopper

Registered Creeper
Jul 11, 2002
Visit site
Hamonic is a better defenceman than Gator was, but Smith would have chewed up and spit out Hamonic in his prime.

He's better, but not by a great deal IMO. I feel they're comparable in style and role. #2-3 guys who are good in their own end and are a nightmare to play against. Hamonic is a better skater and has a little better offense though. I think people forget just how good Gator was sometimes.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
A bigger Jason Smith with more offense and better skating. And Gator was an absolute warrior. Guys were terrified of him.

This is what I've always viewed Nurse's upside as.

I don't want to trade Nurse whatsoever, I only do it if the Islanders are about to pull the trigger on Trouba for Hamonic, because we need Hamonic a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad