Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread III: Insert clever title here

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I posted this in draft thread as some ideas for trade downs:

Ideal situation is to trade down to 8-11 and get an NHL D + that pick. In 8-11 you have a legit shot a 2, or forsure 1 of the top 3 D. But then you also have a 100% shot at McAvoy or Fabbro. Hell you could trade down to around 15, get a better NHL D and still get 1 of them

My top candidates are Montreal and Colorado. I know Petry left here on a semi bad note, but I think he didnt dislike Edmonton much and wouldnt mind a return. He is almost a perfect candidate for a trade down.

4th for 9th + Petry
4th for 10th + Barrie
4th for 11th + Severson
4th for 15th + Spurgeron
4th for 17th + Ellis
4th for 19th + Hamonic
4th+Yak for 22nd + Trouba
4th for 24th + Vatanen

(add to 4th whatever to get them). Bolded are best moves for me. Others are some suggestions

Really any trade down gives you a NHL D + a shot at one of top 3 D or Mcavoy/Fabbro or Bean

Trouba please.

protect klefbom, nurse, and trouba and dance to the bank.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He isn't good enough to improve our defense enough to be competitive unless we're adding a puck moving, PP quarterback

Unless that's what you meant

Id say he is. Hes a good puck mover. Hes nearly equal to Hamonic IMO (maybe a stretch tho). Not a PP QB like you said. But being a PP QB is lower on the list of needs. Klefbom or Davidson can handle PP next year, they both have big shots

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Trouba please.

I dont even think youd need to protect Nurse, hes like Draisaitl in that their rookies

Risk with Trouba is he asks 6.5 or 7 based on his great rookie year and good year. Maybe hes stagnated ala Bogosian back in the day

Getting Hamonic + Ellis/Vat gives you 2 D for same cost in cap hit and pick.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Liles had a pretty strong season, so I'd be surprised if the only offer he gets is a PTO. As a Canes fan, IMO, he'd be a good pick-up for the Oilers and he'd be cheap. He can play right or left, he was a fantastic mentor for the Canes young D, he was used in all situations (PK, ES, PP) and still can skate well and effectively move the puck. I was leery when the Canes picked him up from Toronto, but he did well. If Hainsey or Wiz were UFAs this year instead of next, I'd have no problem with Canes re-signing him for a couple years.

He's a stabilizing presence on the blue line and think he'd do well with the Oilers (as long as he doesn't cost too much or want too much term).

I think there will be some suprising players go to PTO this year. With new lower cap its pretty tough for vets out there. Hell last year Stempniak was relegated to a PTO and he went on to be top 3 on his team in scoring and get a 2nd at TDL

I think itll be worse this season for some vets

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Also I'm not so unsure that Klefbom cant QB the pp. he did very will at it in his time at it.

I think he can do it. Not that hell be a good PP QB. But hes smart, can move the puck and a good shot. Put him with McDavid and you got a good PP

I also think Davidson on a unit with 4 forwards can do good. Davidson has an absolute cannon that could really clear the crease. He was pretty offensive in junior too

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Also I'm not so unsure that Klefbom cant QB the pp. he did very will at it in his time at it.

More options, with Klefbom out the other team didn't have to bother covering shots from the blue line because it was never a threat. No more Sekera shin shots please.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think there will be some suprising players go to PTO this year. With new lower cap its pretty tough for vets out there. Hell last year Stempniak was relegated to a PTO and he went on to be top 3 on his team in scoring and get a 2nd at TDL

I think itll be worse this season for some vets

Yeah, you may be right. I'll be a bit surprised if Liles falls into that category, but not overly. Either way, I still think Liles might be a good pickup.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
If the Oilers can't consummate a trade for Faulk, Barrie, Hamonic (very doubtful he will be moved) etc then I hope Chia tries hard for Subban or Burns. If we get Burns sign Hamhuis (Botchford reporting Van prefer Russell over Hams :laugh:). Hamhuis probably wants to stay in Van and if he can't will likely be looking for somewhere close like Edm or Cal....

#4 + for Burns
Sign Hamhuis

Hamhuis + Burns
Klefbom + Sekera
Davidson + Gryba/#6 RHD

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I dont even think youd need to protect Nurse, hes like Draisaitl in that their rookies

Risk with Trouba is he asks 6.5 or 7 based on his great rookie year and good year. Maybe hes stagnated ala Bogosian back in the day

Getting Hamonic + Ellis/Vat gives you 2 D for same cost in cap hit and pick.

I guess I don't disagree. I've always liked Trouba and think if there is a guy who could be had for cheaper it might be him. I kind of think he is what he is. A decent 3/4 two way guy who has some intangibles.

Also I doubt hamonic is available anymore.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
After the way Burns has played this year, I don't think the 4th gets it done. Guy is unbelievable out there. Plus he's ufa in a year, right?

Alberta Oilfire

Jun 4, 2010
Central Alberta
I definitely see Okposo more valuable than David Clarkson. I like the idea of Hamonic & Ellis. Wouldn't that be nice! I wonder if NSH would bite on a later 1st or early 2nd with Reinhart or Fayne at 50%$.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
The proposal said #4 + meaning I'm very aware it would take way more than #4 pick to get Burns

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The proposal said #4 + meaning I'm very aware it would take way more than #4 pick to get Burns
Burns would not be for sale period though. This playoff run for SJ proves that their window isn't closed yet. If they trade Burns, the window is closed. They have to go for it since they have guys like Thornton who are aging but untradeable due to NMCs. They can't do a mini-rebuild now, and Burns seems very happy on the Sharks so they have a great shot at re-signing him.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008

I missed the plus, but I think the next post explains why San Jose is all in for the foreseeable future. Hopefully Burns tests FA and really likes McLellan.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Trouba please.

I'm so with this. I see greatness in Trouba. If you look at how this season went with Trouba, it was a bit of a downer but his usage was very strange. They have a huge log jam there on the right side so they were shifting players around, and Trouba often got the worst of it. After he was settled down he actually started playing like he did the year before. He's the best bet I see out there, with the skill, smarts and size to be a top pairing guy without much question in my view. However, guys like Barrie, Vatanen, and Hamonic are simply not top pairing at all.

Btw though, Nurse is exempt from expansion and doesn't need protection. We have to protect Sekera though, and we have no choice in doing so and we cannot trade him either.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I hope Chia makes a big push for Subban.

They have Galchenyuk and are apparently adding another Russian. Yakupov would be a good acquisition for them. Dubois pick is something they would be drooling over as well..

2017 1st I would add without thinking too hard. Someone like Reinhart or Davidson added to complete the package and send a NHL ready Dman back.

Alberta Oilfire

Jun 4, 2010
Central Alberta
I hope Chia makes a big push for Subban.

They have Galchenyuk and are apparently adding another Russian. Yakupov would be a good acquisition for them. Dubois pick is something they would be drooling over as well..

2017 1st I would add without thinking too hard. Someone like Reinhart or Davidson added to complete the package and send a NHL ready Dman back.

So you're thinking 4th overall, Yak, GR & a 2017 first? I don't think MTL would bite but I like the basis of the deal. Don't get me wrong I love the idea, just wonder if it's enough.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
we need both, but a guy who could ignite our meh powerplay would get us a lot more wins.

The Oilers did have a meh powerplay. But it wasn't actually that terrible. Ranked 18th in the league. Definition of meh. Definitely could use some work of course, but it wasn't as devastating a black hole as many make it out to be.

They were terrible at preventing goals 5v5. Dead last in the league. dnicks is right, the Oilers need someone who can play solid minutes 5v5 more than they need a PP QB. Of course you are right in that we need both. But if you have to chose between someone who is going to improve the PP or someone who is going to improve the 5v5 play, you go with the 5v5 play 10 times out of 10.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I posted this in draft thread as some ideas for trade downs:

Ideal situation is to trade down to 8-11 and get an NHL D + that pick. In 8-11 you have a legit shot a 2, or forsure 1 of the top 3 D. But then you also have a 100% shot at McAvoy or Fabbro. Hell you could trade down to around 15, get a better NHL D and still get 1 of them

My top candidates are Montreal and Colorado. I know Petry left here on a semi bad note, but I think he didnt dislike Edmonton much and wouldnt mind a return. He is almost a perfect candidate for a trade down.

4th for 9th + Petry
4th for 10th + Barrie
4th for 11th + Severson
4th for 15th + Spurgeron
4th for 17th + Ellis
4th for 19th + Hamonic
4th+Yak for 22nd + Trouba
4th for 24th + Vatanen

(add to 4th whatever to get them). Bolded are best moves for me. Others are some suggestions

Really any trade down gives you a NHL D + a shot at one of top 3 D or Mcavoy/Fabbro or Bean

Jets fan just coming to see what the general feeling was over here about Edmonton's 4th overall.

I think Trouba's a good fit for the Oilers in terms of age, potential and positional need. But I don't think the Jets would even move him for 4th straight up, much less add. And I doubt Edmonton wants to add to the 4th.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Jets fan just coming to see what the general feeling was over here about Edmonton's 4th overall.

I think Trouba's a good fit for the Oilers in terms of age, potential and positional need. But I don't think the Jets would even move him for 4th straight up, much less add. And I doubt Edmonton wants to add to the 4th.

I would be fine with adding to the 4th, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets don't even want the 4th. They want a veteran D, preferably a LHD. I figure a Trouba trade might have to be a three way deal of some kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad