Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread III: Insert clever title here

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Continue
No, not its really not. Miller is essentially Gryba. Both are same age, both have similar pro experience and roles. Both have almost the exact same possession numbers

4 years for Gyba is a bad deal. 2.5 mil for 1 year for Gryba is a bad deal. 4 years @ 2.5 mil for Gryba is a bad, bad deal

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2016/5/5/11520688/kevan-miller-report-card-showed-little-growth-in-2015-16

His rating after this season: an F

Well see what he gets. Getting Okposo for 6 mil is a good deal, but getting Stamkos for 7 mil is also good. Doesnt mean its going to happen. They will follow the money

A RFA Eberle after 1 good year got 6mil. A UFA Okposo after 2 good years is not settling for 6 mil

With the eye issues the guy has had, he is a risk no doubt that. He will probably get around the same money, the comparisons end there.

Clarkson got 5.25 mil, there is zero chance he is signing for 5.25. He makes 4.5 right now on 1st deal. 6 mil is the starting amount and after his season this year 7 mil is closer to the amoutn hell get

Klingberg was drafted in 2010, Nil was made GM in 2013

I do wonder one thing tho, he was a terrible GM but what if his current role is just to scout players ? I wouldn't lose respect if Chai has him scouting Europe/ College

Ha ha ha oh Sweeney, never change.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Can't believe Bruins fans are still backing Sweeney over Chiarelli. I think he might legit be the worst GM in the league right now.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Okposo shouldn't be compared to Clarkson at all. That's brutal.

I WOULD compare a guy like Brouwer to Clarkson, especially after the postseason Brouwer is having.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

I WOULD compare a guy like Brouwer to Clarkson, especially after the postseason Brouwer is having.

I would compare Okposo to a Vanek. Hes productive and will get big money. He would collapse like Clarkson did, but like Vanek I doubt hell live up to the deal

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Can't believe Bruins fans are still backing Sweeney over Chiarelli. I think he might legit be the worst GM in the league right now.

I have no second thought he is. Even over Benning. Sweeney completely blew 2015 draft, gave up a considerable amount of picks (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th round picks) for Stemniak + JML. Then team missed playoffs, both players are UFA. Then did this

Hes given up considerable picks and high cap hits for some pretty meh depth players

Hes going to let Rask continue to decline, get nothing for him. Wouldnt be suprised to see him deal Subban for a low pick this year and probably throw some other young prospects away

I dont think hes made a good move ever

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I don't know that anyone should be compared to Clarkson.

Although some Gm will pay him over 5 or 6 years and we will probably have another Clarkson like contract on our hand. I think at least with Brouwer he's been consistent for a lot longer, although he's older than Clarkson was when he signed in Toronto.

It just has nightmare written all over it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I have no second thought he is. Even over Benning. Sweeney completely blew 2015 draft, gave up a considerable amount of picks (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th round picks) for Stemniak + JML. Then team missed playoffs, both players are UFA. Then did this

Hes given up considerable picks and high cap hits for some pretty meh depth players

Hes going to let Rask continue to decline, get nothing for him. Wouldnt be suprised to see him deal Subban for a low pick this year and probably throw some other young prospects away

I dont think hes made a good move ever

Is it Sweeney or is it Sea Bass playing in the background?

As for good moves, I thought letting Smith go was a good move:naughty:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
In Neely the Bruins have their own version of Pulford, Clarke, Lowe, etc... hanging around in the background tainting everything the GM does. Old hockey guys that live off their playing reputation, loyalty to the organization, and are too competitive/emotional to be effective managers in the modern NHL.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I might keep it simple and just go with "Chia was the problem in Boston" for the thread title. ;)

We get enough drive by responses without provoking other fanbases.

Shame that Chara has a NMC. If he had a NTC that we could expose at the expansion draft, I'd be all over picking him up if the trade cost was reasonable.

onetweasy

Oct 16, 2005
In Neely the Bruins have their own version of Pulford, Clarke, Lowe, etc... hanging around in the background tainting everything the GM does. Old hockey guys that live off their playing reputation, loyalty to the organization, and are too competitive/emotional to be effective managers in the modern NHL.

I think Neely knows a thing or two about winning........:sarcasm:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Is it Sweeney or is it Sea Bass playing in the background?

As for good moves, I thought letting Smith go was a good move:naughty:

To be honest, I think we can assume Neely is really pulling the strings. Either way the duo has really been chipping away at team depth slowly but surely

3rd for Zac Rinaldo. This light a 3rd round pick on fire. Rinaldo no longer an NHL player

2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th for Stempniak, JML. Again lighting 4 picks on fire. Atleast Stempniak was semi-justifiable given they wanted to make a push

Hamilton + first round debacle. Threw returns for Hamilton and Lucic basically in the garbage for 2 meh/bad picks

Traded Reilly Smith for Hayes. Smith put up 25 goals and 50 points, almost as many goals as Hayes had points (29)

So in essence he gave up 2nds, 2 3rds, 4th, 5th, Lucic, Hamilton, Smith and in return received 2 bad 1st round picks, Hayes, 2016 1st

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Sweeney has done it all when it comes to stupid GM moves.
Trade away top young players? yup.
Trade Similar players and receive clearly inferior player? yup.
Trade picks for non NHLers? yup.
Mis judge team and acquire rentals and miss playoffs? yup.
Suck at drafting in 1st round? yup (x3).
Sign a guy coming off hot playoffs for a long term deal? yup
Sign depth players to over 2 year deals over 2 mil? yup

And thats not even in a calendar year. This guy is really going for something special

I truely believe in 4 years the 2015 draft debacle will go down as one of worst collective of moves in past 20 years. You couldnt script it better. 3 questionable picks and then the 2 prospects following them look like legit potential stars. Then you have some very good prospects who could have been that 3rd choice. When 2/3 of those guys are lighting up the NHL. People will wonder how a team could deal away two top players and still miss 3/3 times at drafting

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
To be fair, I did like Boston moving Jones to San Jose for their pick. I thought that was a decent move at the time, and still do even if its 30th OV they get in return.

If Stempniak sticks around and continues his chemistry with Marchand & Bergeron, then I don't think it was a wasted pick.

But yeah otherwise, Bruins fans are kidding themselves if they think the State of the Bruins is better off with Sweeney/Neely rather than Chia. This is coming from a part-time Bruin fan.

tumblr_inline_nrqgaed3vx1rkbc97_540.jpg

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
To be fair, I did like Boston moving Jones to San Jose for their pick. I thought that was a decent move at the time, and still do even if its 30th OV they get in return.

If Stempniak sticks around and continues his chemistry with Marchand & Bergeron, then I don't think it was a wasted pick.

But yeah otherwise, Bruins fans are kidding themselves if they think the State of the Bruins is better off with Sweeney/Neely rather than Chia. This is coming from a part-time Bruin fan.

The real kicker is they would've been better off making Rask available and keeping Jones.

I mean that one is tough to fault him, but I doubt they really thought about it either.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We get enough drive by responses without provoking other fanbases.

Shame that Chara has a NMC. If he had a NTC that we could expose at the expansion draft, I'd be all over picking him up if the trade cost was reasonable.

Meh depending how things go he might be more than willing to waive his NMC to be exposed in expansion:sarcasm:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Yeah the Jones for SJS 1st deal was good. But even that is turning out as worst possible outcome. SJS could win cup with that pick being 30th and Jones could very well end up being better than Rask, contracts aside. Contracts in account, Jones could be more valuable. Then again, thats not on Sweeney that Sharks are doing this well

Stempniak costed a fair amount in a 2nd round pick and was/is a soon to be UFA. They could have had him for nothing if they waited 2 months. Although in mean time hes developed chemistry with some B's, so benefit there

Sweeney seems like a mix between Tambo and Burke. He makes a lot of small mistakes like Tambo, which dont kill you on their own but enough will together. But then makes the odd big move liek Burke and gets burned

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I don't think any team pays Brouwer top line money though. He's a solid 3rd liner, could get paid by some dumb GM thinking he can be a 2nd liner, but he won't get the gift contract that Clarkson got.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The real kicker is they would've been better off making Rask available and keeping Jones.

I mean that one is tough to fault him, but I doubt they really thought about it either.

Im torn on this. I mean right now it looks like that was best move. And a small minority stated this last offseason. But I think at time 90% of GMs would have made the same move

It would have been so ballsy to trade Rask and keep Jones (potential to be next Scrivens). But Rask was making 7M (till 2021) and wasnt at the top of his game. He posted a solid 0.922 but still rumblings of his decline.

However, right now Boston would be major fools to not deal Rask. Guy still has value, but with declining play and massive contract he could lose it all soon

If I was Sweeney Id be phoning up Treliving right about now saying Calgary owes him one. So Jankowski (played in Providence) + 2nd or 2017 1st for Rask. Get max value while you can

But knowing Sweeney hell hold on to Rask. Rask will post 0.910 next year and all value will be gone

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I thought the Zboral pick was good. Debris and Syntshyn were bad picks, especially with Barzal, Connor and Svetcnikov available but I guess time will tell.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
Zboril had a terrible draft+1 year.

Why they signed this deal when they have Seidenberg is terrible. It makes no sense. Seidenberg/McQuaid/Miller are all bottom pairing guys.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't think any team pays Brouwer top line money though. He's a solid 3rd liner, could get paid by some dumb GM thinking he can be a 2nd liner, but he won't get the gift contract that Clarkson got.

The thing is Brouwer is playing top 6 now on a top 4 team in the league.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't get 5 or 6 years at 5mil+

Unless he agrees to stay in STL at a deal or go back to WSH at a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad