Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread | Hy Way To Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
No - it was in response to Oilers fans actually quoting another Oilers fan saying the Leafs couldnt afford Hyman and laughing at the poster saying it's not possible without actually doing the work to back it up.

I actually hope Hyman does great in Edmonton. Hes a great player - the contract hes gonna get is nutty though.

Can you go away, already?

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I think they feel turris can do jjs job this year. They keep pumping his tires saying he has stayed in town and is training hard so why would you do that if he wasn’t in the plans.
This is why we continue to flounder. Hoping for these guys.

How many times did we hear about guys staying in town and being in the best shape of their lives before during the Stoll days lol.

Reactions: mullet

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Tbh the Oilers are my second team - if I had to root for anyone non toronto it would be them. I hover around here frequently but saw someone talking about the Leafs consciously deciding not to pay Hyman the contract hes going to get and people shitting on that saying it's not possible when it very much is.
I think you are lying like how Dubas lied in that Sportsnet article.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
That's not true. They literally cant afford him.
They've got ~$9M in cap space. They could fit Hyman in at $5M if they truly wanted to. It would maybe require a bit of cap management throughout the year, but it would have definitely been possible for them.

It's really not that bad as all of you are making it out to be. He has been able to produce at Top 6 numbers 5v5 with or without star players, and he can play all situations on the ice. Paying him 5.5M is not overpayment, but fair for what he can offer. And once the cap goes up in 2 years time, 5.5M will be like 3M players contracts.

$3M against an $81.5M cap is 3.7% of the cap. For $5.5M to represent the same amount against the cap in 2 years time, the cap would need to increase by $67M. For perspective, the cap has increased by a little over $42M since it was introduced in 2005.

That's a hell of a jump to make in 2 years.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I am kind of surprised Hyman just doesn't stay in TO and take a tad under 5 or whatever he was offered. He gets to play with Matthews and Marner.

On the other hand, he probably looks over at EDM and sees two guys in another tier and can't help it lol.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I am kind of surprised Hyman just doesn't stay in TO and take a tad under 5 or whatever he was offered. He gets to play with Matthews and Marner.

On the other hand, he probably looks over at EDM and sees two guys in another tier and can't help it lol.

Tbh I think he got tired of Matthews' moustache and dressing like he's on the cover of vogue magazine every gameday.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Tbh I think he got tired of Matthews' moustache and dressing like he's on the cover of vogue magazine every gameday.

Don't forget that cringe 'Papi' nickname
200w.gif

Reactions: McDoused

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

He got a late start in the NHL, and his career earnings aren't great

I suspect leaving millions on the table to stay with the leafs is a complete non-starter for his family.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Robertson is 730k so 20 men with 1.1 left.

Extra for 800k - 21 man roster with 300k left.

Theyve run a 21 man roster for the last 2 years. It's nothing new and theyll do it next year without Hyman.... to accrue cap space during the season.

Again - same roster less Freddy and replacing Thornton/Bogosion with young guys. It's just facts - it doesnt have to be personal.

Who is your back-up in this scenario? Rittich? Hutchinson?

Reactions: North

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
"Will Kyle Dubas get Ken Holland to cave and give him a higher draft pick or a prospect in the Zach Hyman sign and trade deal?

I say he does it."

-James Mirtle
Mirtle is a funny dude. I cut him up all year, but it turns out he isn't even a Leafs fan personally lol. He just ended up there while moving up. He is from a small town in BC and grew up not emotionally tied to any team.

He talked about that "I say he does it" thing. He's like I just wrote it a few times and then fans kept telling him to keep doing it lol.

Then I started listening to his podcast "The Leafs Report" and he mumbles and stumbles sooo much lol. He just sounds like some typical Twitter casual fan. Made me hate him a lot less. He makes such bad points.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

That's because he and Matthews talked and Auston said he was going to sign in Edmonton after his current deal is up.

#insiderrrr

Reactions: North

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Mirtle is a funny dude. I cut him up all year, but it turns out he isn't even a Leafs fan personally lol. He just ended up there while moving up. He is from a small town in BC and grew up not emotionally tied to any team.

He talked about that "I say he does it" thing. He's like I just wrote it a few times and then fans kept telling him to keep doing it lol.

Then I started listening to his podcast "The Leafs Report" and he mumbles and stumbles sooo much lol. He just sounds like some typical Twitter casual fan. Made me hate him a lot less. He makes such bad points.

I don't hate the guy either, I always get him and Jeff Marek mixed up because they share the same initials lol. Marek annoys me for some reason. Mirtle's little catch phrase cracks me up so I'll make a fake quote up every now and again, like the one tonight.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I wondered that myself but I wonder if he'd re-sign here. Someone mentioned the obvious to me, his brother bombed out here and if he's looking for lifestyle, this is more of the same as Buffalo.

Wouldn't mind going for Bertuzzi in addition to Hyman but expect the trade would be a 1st and a top prospect, potentially more. I'd rather pitch to Tatar for a Barrie type deal for the cost of cap, he would also add some variety to the Hyman addition

I can't speculate on those personal considerations about Reinhart. But he's Western Canadian and I think a guy who wants to win badly - he went through the draft process with Draisaitl so there must be some familiarity there and McDavid offers elite running mates where he could fit snugly into a peer group hopefully on the rise. All a moot point Miami bought cheap to build out their rising team.

Bertuzzi sounds like a good fit. Not sure how his injury is. However as hopeful as I've been about this off-season it doesn't really seem the way Holland has talked in his media avails that he's been aggressively pursuing trade options to lurch this team forward. Hope to be wrong on this but just my sense from what I've seen.

It is disheartening to hear people like Friedman talk about the issue of players not wanting to play in Canada seemingly growing even stronger and among Canadian players. The U.S. looked to be imploding last year with all the social and political mayhem, pandemic issues and there was some speculation that Canadian teams and relative stability might look more attractive to NHL players. Bloop... a year later and the jump to U.S. markets seems to be growing.

The Summer of Ken's list has gotten longer with Larsson's text message ... 'sorry moving to Seattle.'

Reactions: Oilhawks

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I can't speculate on those personal considerations about Reinhart. But he's Western Canadian and I think a guy who wants to win badly - he went through the draft process with Draisaitl so there must be some familiarity there and McDavid offers elite running mates where he could fit snugly into a peer group hopefully on the rise. All a moot point Miami bought cheap to build out their rising team.

Bertuzzi sounds like a good fit. Not sure how his injury is. However as hopeful as I've been about this off-season it doesn't really seem the way Holland has talked in his media avails that he's been aggressively pursuing trade options to lurch this team forward. Hope to be wrong on this but just my sense from what I've seen.

It is disheartening to hear people like Friedman talk about the issue of players not wanting to play in Canada seemingly growing even stronger and among Canadian players. The U.S. looked to be imploding last year with all the social and political mayhem, pandemic issues and there was some speculation that Canadian teams and relative stability might look more attractive to NHL players. Bloop... a year later and the jump to U.S. markets seems to be growing.

The Summer of Ken's list has gotten longer with Larsson's text message ... 'sorry moving to Seattle.'
Lies...

I'm pretty sure Larsson didn't say sorry.

;)

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
They've got ~$9M in cap space. They could fit Hyman in at $5M if they truly wanted to. It would maybe require a bit of cap management throughout the year, but it would have definitely been possible for them.

They still need to sign a backup goalie, 1 defenseman and 4 forwards to ice a full roster. They sign Hyman for 5 million and will only gave 4 million left for 5 players. It’s doable but not ideal.

$3M against an $81.5M cap is 3.7% of the cap. For $5.5M to represent the same amount against the cap in 2 years time, the cap would need to increase by $67M. For perspective, the cap has increased by a little over $42M since it was introduced in 2005.

That's a hell of a jump to make in 2 years.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019

He can definitely see James Neal and Jujhar Khaira as his linemates knowing they are in another tier.

Reactions: McVirginOil

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Leafs fans want to act like taking a FREE asset for doing nearly nothing at all is of zero value to them. Yet in a thread about Dubas denying the 6th these takes paint a different story:

This is one of the weirdest and stupidest stalemates over a player I have ever seen.

The Leafs aren’t going to re-sign Hyman, but they’re holding out for a higher pick.

The Oilers don’t want to give more than a 6th and are willing to sign him for one less year at a slightly higher cap hit regardless.

Neither team wants to blink. The Oilers will get their guy either way, so they can stand firm. The Leafs will lose their guy knowingly, but will get nothing out of it despite being offered something. If Dubas wants to stand ground so Edmonton has to add more to lower their cap and to “help” them, all the power to him. But I do find it ironic that he’ll jump through hoops to acquire “free” picks some silly (screwy) way, but won’t take a free pick now for a guy he knows he’s losing over $500K on another team’s cap.

Can’t believe Dubas didn’t take advantage of the opportunity to add a FREE draft pick from Edmonton.

He’s had several instances of brutal asset mismanagement but this is the absolute worst. By far.

Look at other teams around the league accumulating assets by taking on bad contracts. Dubas didn’t even need to add one cent in contracts and he could have picked up a draft pick.

Refusing to take a free draft pick because he didn’t want to help Edmonton save a few hundred thousand in cap space is laughable.

Totally incompetent GM. When the dust settles he will go down as one of our worst

Hopefully his last offseason as GM.

Leafs got a first round exit and 3 draft picks this year....great!!!

2021 Missing 1st 3rd 4th 7th
2022 Missing 3rd 4th 5th 6tn
2023 Missing 7th

Keep it up Dubas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad