Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Comrie to ARI, Dahlstrom to WPG, Everyone else cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I disagree. If Klefbom, Nurse, Larsson, and Russell are all in top form, and Bear & Persson continue to show what they did in preseason, it absolutely is a playoff calibre defense.

I'm more concerned with offense and goaltending.

Our defence has looked brutal this preseason. GA has to come down if we want to be close to the playoffs

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
If Ken Holland legitimately believes this roster is a playoff team then he is as delusional as his predecessors.

I highly doubt he's voicing his real thoughts here though.

I mean technically all but the very bottom were "competing" for playoffs last year even though the Oilers were realistically out long before the stretch drive.

If he's expecting another year like last year that's fine.

If he refuses to move pieces like Russell and Kassian if there's interest and they're out of it that's a separate issue.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
McCanovin said:
If they're not good, we waive again like you said. If they find chemistry with one or all of our C or a role on the team, we found gold. They're not perfect players. That's why they're on waiver and only cost league minimum.

This year is a write off essentially. Why does the number of contracts matter so much?
Contract flexibility is important so you can take on an additional body in a trade e.g. our 2 starting goalies get injured and we need to make a trade, make a waiver claim (someone better than who was exposed yesterday), and lastly and most commonly it's important for the College Free agency window.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Actions speak louder than words, Ken. That is not a playoff caliber defense.
What 'actions' were you expecting? Seems kind of silly to be throwing out that last line as if it was in any way realistic to be icing a 'playoff calibre' defense in your opinion this season.

Reactions: KYams17

North

Jun 25, 2009
If Ken Holland legitimately believes this roster is a playoff team then he is as delusional as his predecessors.

I highly doubt he's voicing his real thoughts here though.

Exactly no GM is going to come out and say that.

He’s trying to get us through the salary cap squeeze as best he can before he can truly put his stamp on the roster.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Exactly no GM is going to come out and say that.

He’s trying to get us through the salary cap squeeze as best he can before he can truly put his stamp on the roster.

Well, there was one GM who did, and it was a PR move so disastrous that not even Craig MacTavish survived it. :D

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Looking at the contract limits, I'm always surprised that team's don't operate at 45 or less contracts on the regular to give you that instant flexibility.

Reactions: PuckNut

North

Jun 25, 2009
I gotta say, I’m not surprised people are freaking out about passing on other teams’ discards. HfOil at it’s finest.

Reactions: KYams17

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm legit shocked no one took Sprong.
Training camps are there for players to win jobs. It'd be kind of a dick move to go out and claim a kid off of waivers to throw into the scoring role required for that player to thrive ahead of guys who've actually auditioned.

Sprong isn't a guy who's going to put up points playing on a team's fourth line. He needs a long leash and claiming him means he gets one handed to him.

The same logic can be applied to claiming the goalies. The only reason Comrie was claimed is because of Raanta's injury.

Reactions: npanciroli

North

Jun 25, 2009
Every other team doesn’t have third line wingers in top line roles and two completely mediocre goaltenders.

Yeah and most of these guys wouldn’t move the dial. Sprong has some offensive skill but has absolutely no interest in play without the puck. Ho- Sang is a head case who hasn’t done much of anything to indicate he belongs in the NHL. Baertschi is too expensive. Maybe DeSmith but I have my doubts because of our d.

Reactions: McSuper

North

Jun 25, 2009
Other teams' discarded goods are better than our current roster players. Just sayin'.

Really? Besides DeSmith (who had a good year last year) and Baertschi (who we couldn’t afford) who is better?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yeah and most of these guys wouldn’t move the dial. Sprong has some offensive skill but has absolutely no interest in play without the puck. Ho- Sang is a head case who hasn’t done much of anything to indicate he belongs in the NHL. Baertschi is too expensive. Maybe DeSmith but I have my doubts because of our d.
Sprong is a right winger--and the defensive responsibility of those players is always overstated. Sprong would've been a nice add and exciting to watch. But as I just mentioned, it's another mouth to feed.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Sprong paced for 26 goals over a full season, not everyone needs to be a 200 foot dynamo.

DeSmith would have made sense but if you doubt him because of our D I’m curious as to your Koskinen/Smith opinion

North

Jun 25, 2009
Sprong is a right winger--and the defensive responsibility of those players is always overstated. Sprong would've been a nice add and exciting to watch. But as I just mentioned, it's another mouth to feed.

But there is some defensive responsibility and a requirement for supporting the play when you don’t have the puck. He doesn’t get that.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Sprong and Ho Sang will probably get traded now. Teams don't want to add a contract with out sending one the other way.

Makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad