Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread | Breaking The (Bank On) Hyman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Losing players to FA does happen especially to teams that are going into the season thinking they have a chance at competing for the cup. Holland knew they were just building to make the playoffs. Larsson's cost was Hall, so I feel that Holland needed a real commitment or trade him for a decent return. Ken most likely felt confident in signing Adam which turned into being a mistake.

I expect management to be diligent with assets and in this case they weren't.

Quite comical the Oilers couldn't get a contract signed with Petry for $5mil which I think was what he was asking for. 7 years later and here we are, still trying to get that right side built...lol

The fact that Larsson came close to signing indicates he probably didn’t let on that he was thinking about moving on or didn’t really start thinking about it until it was time to put pen to paper.

If the player is negotiating and the team is negotiating clearly there is a belief that a deal can be struck.

Not sure what more to say.

As recently as the playoffs they thought they were closing in on a deal.

Then he put the brakes on.

At that point it was too late to trade him.

They still made offers but it seems like sometime in the last week he told them he wasn’t going to sign.

So if they were going to lose him anyways, might as well be to Seattle so that could be their pick in the ED and the Oilers don’t lose another player.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
This is NOT a rumour.

This was speculation by Seravalli that the Oilers COULD be a dark horse to pursue Hamilton. The Oilers are NOT actively pursuing Dougie Hamilton.

To be clear:
1) No one from the Oilers organization has claimed this.
2) Gregor + Stauffer has dismissed this as "pie in the sky"
3) Frank was observing that this would be a good fit.
4) There is no indication that Hamilton would like to play in Alberta again after the Calgary fiasco.

Speaking of the Calgary fiasco: Why did the Flames make the Dougie Hamilton trade?

More than Hamilton not wanting to play for Edmonton, I question whether he would be a fit for the Oilers dressing room.

Hamilton not fitting in is false. Source: guy who works with the Flames.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm clarifying because we shouldn't try and disseminate falsehoods.

1) The Oilers are FACTUALLY NOT pursuing Dougie Hamilton at this time.
2) Would they be interested? Logic say yes. But i'm sure at least 30 other teams are interested.

Hamilton to Edmonton is not a THING. At least not yet. Don't spread lies, people. We are better than Leafs fans. Not everyone is coming to Edmonton.

I will shut up about this once one of you provide the group with a source confirming this. Until then, please don't say that Hamilton to Edmonton is a rumour. It's not. Not yet.
How do you know they are factually not going after Hamilton. Has Holland said this? You can't know that unless you have been told directly it's not happening so don't come in here with your "factually nonsense".

Seravalli who for weeks now has not said or speculated anything that didn't have any truth to it.

He said he believes Edmonton is a dark horse for Hamilton. The org as a whole has had interest in him numerous times. Multiple media has said in the last 24 hours that Edmonton is looking to do something on defense right now. After that is when Seravalli said we could be a dark horse for him.

There is more evidence we may be looking at him then there is your nonsensical "factually" evidence that he is not.

Don't come in here with your bs like that.

I don't think you understand the word factually.

TheMustardTiger

Owner of the Dirty Burger
May 4, 2016
The fact is we pay more in Canadian dollars for basically anything.

Want to go to McDonalds? It's now like $10 for a combo meal. It's not the same price as the US.

Almost every consumer item costs more in Canada, no company is dumb enough to take lower profit margins in a significant way to sell to the smaller Canadian market.

And lol lets not even get started on the price of gas. Or cell phone plans. Or cable plans. Canadians get ripped off left and right.

As crazy as it might sound the things you mentioned being an issue to athletes that make millions of dollars but I will never forget a sportsnet interview with a former Raptors player (I don't recall who) and he mentioned a bunch of times how expensive it was to have a cell phone in Canada.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I'm clarifying because we shouldn't try and disseminate falsehoods.

1) The Oilers are FACTUALLY NOT pursuing Dougie Hamilton at this time.
2) Would they be interested? Logic say yes. But i'm sure at least 30 other teams are interested.

Hamilton to Edmonton is not a THING. At least not yet. Don't spread lies, people. We are better than Leafs fans. Not everyone is coming to Edmonton.

I will shut up about this once one of you provide the group with a source confirming this. Until then, please don't say that Hamilton to Edmonton is a rumour. It's not. Not yet.

So you're saying one of the pre-eminent NHL insiders is just making shit up?

That's a bold claim.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
But is there any reason to believe this? I mean he's a pro not a toddler right? You think he gets home from gym and flips open HF boards?

Get real.
Sure you can believe that players love being treated like crap by fans. I’m willing to bet he could care less what toxic people on HF have to say. But I think it’s very fair to say that there’s tons of fans who never gave him a fair shake simply because of how he came to be an Oiler. It’s not just HF, it’s a small city that is hockey mad. It’s every day in all forms of media and social media. Wouldn’t be the first player to prefer to play in a less toxic environment.

Maybe it’s as simple as his BFF is LTIRetired and there’s really not a lot of good memories for him of his time here so he’s choosing to get a fresh start. Most people don’t have that luxury, some people seem to have trouble even comprehending it.

Guess this is that part where you throw a tons of insults at me…but remember you’re the one who continually insisted that Larsson left because he had a toddler like temper tantrum over Holland trading for Keith. So it’s odd that you would say things like that about him yesterday and then pull this crap today…

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Just listening to Nielsen and he's calculating the cap space available if they get Hyman at 5.5m, including Smith at 2, a Neal Buyout and Koskinen buyout, or retention trade. It's roughly $16M of cap space to fill 3rd line center, RHD and goalie while also signing Yamamoto so $14M roughly.
The Hyman contract is bad but they were spending that much on a top 6 LW anyway so it doesn't really change the equation too much in regards to addressing other needs.
Keep in mind, this is also assuming that Kassian is still on the books.

Point being, the flexibility is still there even with this potential Hyman overpay to build a really good roster for the next few seasons. If it's Hamilton as slim as the chance is, they'll still have some money to bring in a 3rd line center and goalie.
Holland being capable of bringing in the right players is a big question but the cap flexibility will be there with a few moves being made. Next year becomes problematic with the raises though so he needs to keep that in mind.

Anyway, I'm at work and going out to lunch so I'll be interested to see what comes of the Holland presser when I get back.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
If any flames fans come out from under their bridge to make fun of the hyman signing just show them this:

upload_2021-7-22_10-56-52.png

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sure you can believe that players love being treated like crap by fans. I’m willing to bet he could care less what toxic people on HF have to say. But I think it’s very fair to say that there’s tons of fans who never gave him a fair shake simply because of how he came to be an Oiler. It’s not just HF, it’s a small city that is hockey mad. It’s every day in all forms of media and social media. Wouldn’t be the first player to prefer to play in a less toxic environment.

Maybe it’s as simple as his BFF is LTIRetired and there’s really not a lot of good memories for him of his time here so he’s choosing to get a fresh start. Most people don’t have that luxury, some people seem to have trouble even comprehending it.

Guess this is that part where you throw a tons of insults at me…

If he feels that way that's fine but if he's that mentally fragile he simply was never going to get it done here and it was for the best that he move on as much for the Oilers sake.

If you want to play in any Canadian market or have aspirations of even going deep in the playoffs, this the NHL not ice capades. You need to be much more mentally tough than that.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
To a team very likely to not win anything this year. With the right moves, this team can make some noise. Again, there has to be more than just "Seattle is a better city".
but why though?
it literally could be something as simple as wanting a fresh start in a new city on a new team. i've read on here people dismissing the idea that negative fan reaction to him could be a reason he wanted to leave because there is no proof that that is the case, but yet willing to speculate that it has to do with the organization being "broken" without proof. if people are going to be dismissing one theory without proof, they should be dismissing the other as well.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
You're right. Calgary is a vastly superior city by every measure there is. So why would Hamilton lock himself up to an inferior city?

Not sure why I’m indulging this, but only people from Alberta (particularly south of Red Deer) think this. Most other people think they’re pretty much the same big bag of meh.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria

Guess this is that part where you throw a tons of insults at me…but remember you’re the one who continually insisted that Larsson left because he had a toddler like temper tantrum over Holland trading for Keith. So it’s odd that you would say things like that about him yesterday and then pull this crap today…

wait, so players are toddlers now and not professionals?

I think if you are logical you know they probably get regular guidance on not following the fans closely, most famous people avoid twitter/comment sections/message boards.

You are being delusional if you think Larson is some baby who monitors your every debate. Heck I follow this place regularly and don't even see much Larson hate.

But if you want to believe larsson is some big baby who can't control his emotions I suppose that's your prerogative.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
If it was NHL 21 yeah. Often guys who just had a bad or rough season.. don't like to sign contracts if they have term left.

And we didn't let him go for nothing. We had to lose someone to expansion, he wanted out and decided to be out expansion pick

I know trying to rationalize in hindsight is terrible sometimes but if Larsson was already signed that could have delayed Holland making this Keith deal till after the expansion draft. Possibly even making a deal with the Kraken with retained salary.

I imagine Holland even tried that with the Kraken.

I hope with Holland’s presser coming up he'll have a positive update on Nurse's contract.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
If he feels that way that's fine but if he's that mentally fragile he simply was never going to get it done here and it was for the best that he move on as much for the Oilers sake.

If you want to play in any Canadian market or have aspirations of even going deep in the playoffs, this the NHL not ice capades. You need to be much more mentally tough than that.
I don’t see how it shows he’s mentally fragile at all. Choosing to leave a toxic environment does not mean a person is mentally fragile. That’s a horrible take

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

I think if you are logical you know they probably get regular guidance on not following the fans closely, most famous people avoid twitter/comment sections/message boards.

You are being delusional if you think Larson is some baby who monitors your every debate. Heck I follow this place regularly and don't even see much Larson hate.

But if you want to believe larsson is some big baby who can't control his emotions I suppose that's your prerogative.
Man you’re so big mad about how childish you acted yesterday that you’re trying to one up yourself today :laugh:

Can’t believe you’re actually trying to say that Larsson choosing to live in a better city where he won’t be the constant target of unwarranted hate makes him a toddler or a baby.

I just threw it out there as one of many reasons why Larsson choosing Seattle over Edmonton makes sense. Besides playing with McDavid and Drai on a team that seem stuck unable to build a proper team and make it anywhere can you tell me any reason why he might choose to stay in Edmonton?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I know trying to rationalize in hindsight is terrible sometimes but if Larsson was already signed that could have delayed Holland making this Keith deal till after the expansion draft. Possibly even making a deal with the Kraken with retained salary.

I imagine Holland even tried that with the Kraken.

I hope with Holland’s presser coming up he'll have a positive update on Nurse's contract.

That's Holland's other problem now too -- he better have a way to pay that Nurse raise, that Puljujarvi raise next year especially if both have really good seasons.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

You: You’re calling Larsson a baby for leaving due to negativity!

Also you (yesterday): Larsson left because of the Keith deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad