Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread | Breaking The (Bank On) Hyman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
1.) No one's forcing him to buy a place in Seattle.

2.) Even if he did, the valuation of the real estate will stay high because it's a very in demand market. He can buy a condo there and sell it in 3-4 years likely at a profit.

3.) The condo he buys could large be paid by that extra 1.4 million, lol, so he's getting a place in Seattle "for free" in a sense.
My point is the difference was small enough that he didn't do it for the money. You also have to take into account a usd goes much further here than it does there. Especially in a city like Seattle

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I don't care about the anger in the rest of your post, he would ABSOLUTELY fit, because Lucic was a cancer in there, and is "perfect" fit for Calgary, that tells me all I need to know.

I have to laugh at all the Gio accolades "he was the conscience of the organization for 10 years"

What does that tell you?

Gio is in the same Shae Doan class where they are complete dirtbags on the ice in some of the worst ways, but get a free pass from the media because they answer their questions nice and give money to charity and stuff. Get the "classy" branding, but really they're dirty POS's.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
lol- by your logic the cost of living is the same for every place on earth…

The fact is we pay more in Canadian dollars for basically anything.

Want to go to McDonalds? It's now like $10 for a combo meal. It's not the same price as the US.

Almost every consumer item costs more in Canada, no company is dumb enough to take lower profit margins in a significant way to sell to the smaller Canadian market.

And lol lets not even get started on the price of gas. Or cell phone plans. Or cable plans. Canadians get ripped off left and right.

Reactions: soothsayer

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It's not, but Larsson was still a player who played here. You don't think there's at least something more to this?
So because he played here it makes him totally unaware of how much better pretty much every other NHL city is when compared to Edmonton?

Maybe he got tired of being constantly run down by fans who have nothing but negative things to say about him since he was acquired? Goes from being a player who for years was widely disliked and criticized simply because of who he was traded for to being a player who took less money to sign in a city that he really wants to be in and get a fresh start in. Could be a factor.

Reactions: DynamiteKid

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
It happens. Ultimately they were negotiating for awhile got close to a deal during the playoffs and then he pulled back.

It sucks but if he really didn’t want to stay in Edmonton at least we found out now rather than finding out he requested a trade one year into a new deal.

Losing players to FA does happen especially to teams that are going into the season thinking they have a chance at competing for the cup. Holland knew they were just building to make the playoffs. Larsson's cost was Hall, so I feel that Holland needed a real commitment or trade him for a decent return. Ken most likely felt confident in signing Adam which turned into being a mistake.

I expect management to be diligent with assets and in this case they weren't.

From my memory Petry held out on his first contract with the Oilers. Then when MacT got Schultz Petry was 2nd fiddle and thats what pissed him off along with the lowball offer most likely. But I do remember from the start of his tenure with the Oilers he never was that exicted to be in Edmonton.

Quite comical the Oilers couldn't get a contract signed with Petry for $5mil which I think was what he was asking for. 7 years later and here we are, still trying to get that right side built...lol

Reactions: Louis Cypher

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Uh what math are you doing there?

It's 1.7 million more for the term of his contract. Larsson would make 2.11 actual post-tax money in Edmonton per year ($4 million contract) ... $1.7 million over 4 years is almost an entire year's worth of difference in take home salary for Larsson.

It's significant.

Lol- can you please stop with the tax talk as you clearly don’t know much about it? Players in Canada have many mechanisms to lower taxes to be the equivalent to the US from how they get paid (bonuses) to how they set up their personal financial structure.
Agent says Canadian teams can compete with American teams when it comes to taxes | Markerzone.com

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Losing players to FA does happen especially to teams that are going into the season thinking they have a chance at competing for the cup. Holland knew they were just building to make the playoffs. Larsson's cost was Hall, so I feel that Holland needed a real commitment or trade him for a decent return. Ken most likely felt confident in signing Adam which turned into being a mistake.

I expect management to be diligent with assets and in this case they weren't.

Quite comical the Oilers couldn't get a contract signed with Petry for $5mil which I think was what he was asking for. 7 years later and here we are, still trying to get that right side built...lol
Yeah, trading Larsson (or Nuge for that matter) would have been the smart play.
How ridiculous

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
Hamilton is a better version of Barrie. Bigger, faster, better shot, etc.

Comes down to salary for me. If Hamilton costs $8M per year and Barrie costs $4.5M I would actually take Barrie. The more that salary difference closes, the more I lean towards Hamilton.
I love Barrie as much as anyone (prolly 2 much), but Hamilton is a stud. If he’s even considering us, you go get him. Having him & Nurse anchor our blue line for nearly a decade would be incredible

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So because he played here it makes him totally unaware of how much better pretty much every other NHL city is when compared to Edmonton?

Maybe he got tired of being constantly run down by fans who have nothing but negative things to say about him since he was acquired? Goes from being a player who for years was widely disliked and criticized simply because of who he was traded for to being a player who took less money to sign in a city that he really wants to be in and get a fresh start in. Could be a factor.
Maybe he did. Maybe it's the fans, the org, maybe it's something else. I'm of the belief that there's more reasons than just "the city kinda sucks" that players avoid this team despite having two of the best players on the planet. I would also caution anyone excited about Hamilton for similar reasons.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
The fact is we pay more in Canadian dollars for basically anything.

Want to go to McDonalds? It's now like $10 for a combo meal. It's not the same price as the US.

Almost every consumer item costs more in Canada, no company is dumb enough to take lower profit margins in a significant way to sell to the smaller Canadian market.

And lol lets not even get started on the price of gas. Or cell phone plans. Or cable plans. Canadians get ripped off left and right.

So again, the cost of living is the same across the planet? Cost of living in Manhattan is the same as living in Airdrie?

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria

But is there any reason to believe this? I mean he's a pro not a toddler right? You think he gets home from gym and flips open HF boards?

Get real.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Maybe he did. Maybe it's the fans, the org, maybe it's something else. I'm of the belief that there's more reasons than just "the city kinda sucks" that players avoid this team despite having two of the best players on the planet.
It’s not like he asked for a trade while under contract…he chose to sign in a better city as a UFA.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
It was such a strange post too.

- Uh no shit anyone in the organization has said anything.
- Stauffer and Gregor said that days ago, in case he didn't know, some things have changed in the last few days! Also, Gregor has about a carton full of eggs on his face so I'm taking anything he says with a metric ton of salt.
- Even if Frank is speculating, I don't think he's bull-shitting, big difference there.
- Calgary is different from Edmonton.

Also as for the locker room, it is fairly obvious that the locker room culture is VASTLY different in Edmonton than it is in Calgary.

AsparaGus

Feb 16, 2020
I'm clarifying because we shouldn't try and disseminate falsehoods.

1) The Oilers are FACTUALLY NOT pursuing Dougie Hamilton at this time.
2) Would they be interested? Logic say yes. But i'm sure at least 30 other teams are interested.

Hamilton to Edmonton is not a THING. At least not yet. Don't spread lies, people. We are better than Leafs fans. Not everyone is coming to Edmonton.

I will shut up about this once one of you provide the group with a source confirming this. Until then, please don't say that Hamilton to Edmonton is a rumour. It's not. Not yet.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It was such a strange post too.

- Uh no shit anyone in the organization has said anything.
- Stauffer and Gregor said that days ago, in case he didn't know, some things have changed in the last few days! Also, Gregor has about a carton full of eggs on his face so I'm taking anything he says with a metric ton of salt.
- Even if Frank is speculating, I don't think he's bull-shitting, big difference there.
- Calgary is different from Edmonton.

Also as for the locker room, it is fairly obvious that the locker room culture is VASTLY different in Edmonton than it is in Calgary.
Also our team isn't a bunch of partyers either. Hell Nuge likes to relax at home and stuff. I'm sure more than one guy here would love to go the museum.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad