Rumor: Rumours and Proposals | Do we add anyone during the break?

Do we make a trade before the next game?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Anybody remember this line:

RNH - Draisaitl - Yamo

Yeah sure but RNH is not going to sniff that line again until he re-signs. Why pad his stats? If he wants more cheddar let him prove he can drive a line himself - hint - he can't. That said I'm fine with $6 million x 5 years because he's so versatile - but that's the limit. Just like $5 million x 3 years is all I go for Barrie.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Alex Steeves was a decent pickup for Toronto. It's a longshot, but Odeen Tufto would be a nice add. Undersized right shot center who was a bit of an ace on the draw this season, apparently. Led the entire NCAA in assists.

My money is on him signing in Minnesota though.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
McDavid (or Draisaitl for that matter) really shouldn't care about such empty platitudes as "respected", "productive", and/or "valued teammate" if at the end of the day Holland (or Pretend Holland in this scenario) is able to confidently tell them that the result of an RNH trade has made or will make the Oilers a better hockey club and a move that gets them one step closer to the Stanley Cup. That's the goal here, and that's what will convince McDavid to stay beyond the end of his contract- not whether he likes the guy in the stall next to him or not.

I've noticed throughout this thread you keep trying to attach emotional bias onto a pretty black or white question: is RNH under-performing relative to his pay and role? If so, then the team needs to move on. Full stop. In a flat cap world, you can't afford to over-pay for underproduction (or even stagnation). Doing so leads to less winning, which leads to the doomsday scenario you're worried about. It's clear in Year 10 of his career that RNH does not have another level to his game, so signing him to even the same amount of money is just as damaging as giving him a raise.

You can try and dispute that with more arguments about how he's good in the room and deserves it for being a good soldier through all the bad, but none of those things makes us better and so that's where the discussion should rightfully end.

It's about communicating the plan. Knowing there is a plan. The fact is there is a relationship between these players, there's trust. Of course players know trades, free agency and movement is part of the business. All will move on if Nugent Hopkins isn't signed. It's still about managing the relationships with your best players and engaging them to understand the plan which leads to winning hockey games and competing for Stanley Cups. Players get behind a vision and today's athlete is different than past generations who mainly complied without question on things. There have been many plans in Edmonton for the last fifteen years and very little success. Now breaking through (it seems) engaging your leaders to communicate the plan is reasonable and respectful. Understanding and buy-in is helpful to ensuring everyone is on the same page, understands, and move forward united.

I think Nugent Hopkins is a versatile, valuable player. His goal and point production the past three years has been strong and worthy of his salary. He plays big minutes (20 per game) in all situations. And has produced with Draisaitl which included a Hart Trophy win and produced in play-in with McDavid. As a 2C option, he is asked to play with rotating wingers which has mixed results. I think this team is better with Nugent Hopkins resigned than letting go for nothing. I don't believe he is easy to replace. But I also don't think it is resign at any cost. As you've alluded to my postings you'll see my ceiling has been $7 million/season. Last reporting we've had is it is likely being negotiated in the $6-$6.5 million/year range. This is a tricky negotiation and I trust the players involved (as I've also stated throughout) Ken Holland and the player to arrive at fair market value in a tough cap year. If they don't, I will be interested in seeing how this team replaces the utility that Nugent Hopkins brings.

But we can all play GM and are in thinking we know the value or not of this player, to this team, and in this market. You've made your conclusion and I've stated my hope this player re-signs for reasonable dollars and term in Edmonton. There's a lot of well researched posts that give us market value comparisons throughout many threads. I find them helpful.

Regarding good in the room and good soldier stuff, I really defer to what his GM's, coaches have said about the player and what we hear from his teammates. I'm not in the room so that's as close to it that I can get. I guess they could uniformally be pumping tires but I don't really see any reason to think so.

EDIT: Re-read your post and not sure why you think Nugent Hopkins would be traded (presume you think this as a deadline deal)? This is being reported as likely being negotiated through to first day of UFA vs a dump on team pushing for a playoff run. Most likely scenario is no deal player hits UFA and return on investment is zero.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
In the scenario that we let RNH and Barrie walk ...

EDM 1st 2021
James Neal @50% retained
Mikko Koskinen

for

Rickard Rakell
Adam Henrique @50% retained

Henrique's deal is a year longer than Neal so that does save Anaheim money but at 50% retained we could also buy it out without too much fuss later on.

Sign Taylor Hall @1 year x 5.5 million

Oscar Klefbom
for
Darcy Kuemper

Re-sign Adam Larsson 4 years x 4 million

Sign Ryan Murray (D) 1 year x 2.9 million

Sign either Mike Smith (cheaper + incentive laden deal) or Jonathan Bernier

Rakell McDavid Puljujarvi
Hall Draisaitl Yamamoto
Benson Henrique Kassian
Khaira Haas Archibald

Nurse Larsson
Murray Bouchard
Lagesson Bear

Kuemper
Bernier or Smith

Team still has like 6 million to add other players.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
We gotta bring Smith back. Obviously in a back up role. He’s a huge leader on the team and the boys love him.

Koski had to go. I like him but he has to go. We need a fresh new shiny starter.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
haha no sorry. Typo. I wish.

Dang it-lol. Maybe your future self took control of your present self and is feeding you info.
tenor.gif

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Can't be throwing RNH to the wind unless you have a guaranteed replacement. Can't go through another Eberle situation where we throw him away and don't replace any of his production.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Rakell also injured tonight.
Gibson (not that the Oilers had any chance of reading gir him anyways) re-injured with a new injury after just coming back from a different one.

Not sure how long Rakell is out for but i thought he'd be a decent target.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Any way we can pry Laine out of CBJ for cheap?

Laine - McDavid - Pulju
DRY

would look great
RNH extended plus a prospect like Benson probably gets it done. RNH by himself might be enough, depending on how desperate Columbus is for a top 6 center. High risk high reward though. I'm not a huge RNH fan, but at least he doesn't mope around and ignore defensive play like Laine does.

Last edited:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They are short a RD. Ethan Bear for Frank Vatrano @ 500 k retained. Retention makes it an even trade.
Who's Bear playing over there? Weegar, Stralman, Gudas or Nutivaara? They need a top pairing defenseman. I'm assuming they'll be leading the charge for Goligoski.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Who's Bear playing over there? Weegar, Stralman, Gudas or Nutivaara? They need a top pairing defenseman. I'm assuming they'll be leading the charge for Goligoski.
They just waived Stralman so I'd assume he's not playing well. Isn't Nutivaara a LD?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They just waived Stralman so I'd assume he's not playing well. Isn't Nutivaara a LD?
Is Bear playing well? Stralman plays 19 minutes a night for them, so I'm assuming they'd sooner call him up over trading for a lesser Dman.

Also Nutivaara is a left shot that prefers his offhand IIRC.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Is Bear playing well? Stralman plays 19 minutes a night for them, so I'm assuming they'd sooner call him up over trading for a lesser Dman.

Also Nutivaara is a left shot that prefers his offhand IIRC.

I dunno enough about Nutivaara to say either way.

Regardless I don't think they trade Vatrano. Guy is a low key gritty sniper.

Reactions: belair

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020
It's about communicating the plan. Knowing there is a plan. The fact is there is a relationship between these players, there's trust. Of course players know trades, free agency and movement is part of the business. All will move on if Nugent Hopkins isn't signed. It's still about managing the relationships with your best players and engaging them to understand the plan which leads to winning hockey games and competing for Stanley Cups. Players get behind a vision and today's athlete is different than past generations who mainly complied without question on things. There have been many plans in Edmonton for the last fifteen years and very little success. Now breaking through (it seems) engaging your leaders to communicate the plan is reasonable and respectful. Understanding and buy-in is helpful to ensuring everyone is on the same page, understands, and move forward united.

I think Nugent Hopkins is a versatile, valuable player. His goal and point production the past three years has been strong and worthy of his salary. He plays big minutes (20 per game) in all situations. And has produced with Draisaitl which included a Hart Trophy win and produced in play-in with McDavid. As a 2C option, he is asked to play with rotating wingers which has mixed results. I think this team is better with Nugent Hopkins resigned than letting go for nothing. I don't believe he is easy to replace. But I also don't think it is resign at any cost. As you've alluded to my postings you'll see my ceiling has been $7 million/season. Last reporting we've had is it is likely being negotiated in the $6-$6.5 million/year range. This is a tricky negotiation and I trust the players involved (as I've also stated throughout) Ken Holland and the player to arrive at fair market value in a tough cap year. If they don't, I will be interested in seeing how this team replaces the utility that Nugent Hopkins brings.

But we can all play GM and are in thinking we know the value or not of this player, to this team, and in this market. You've made your conclusion and I've stated my hope this player re-signs for reasonable dollars and term in Edmonton. There's a lot of well researched posts that give us market value comparisons throughout many threads. I find them helpful.

Regarding good in the room and good soldier stuff, I really defer to what his GM's, coaches have said about the player and what we hear from his teammates. I'm not in the room so that's as close to it that I can get. I guess they could uniformally be pumping tires but I don't really see any reason to think so.

EDIT: Re-read your post and not sure why you think Nugent Hopkins would be traded (presume you think this as a deadline deal)? This is being reported as likely being negotiated through to first day of UFA vs a dump on team pushing for a playoff run. Most likely scenario is no deal player hits UFA and return on investment is zero.
I'm pretty sure McD will be fine if we part with Nuge. Chiarelli introduced him to these harsh realities when he brought in the player that could have ended his career his first season (and wasn't sorry about it) and also dealt his good buddy Strome the same season (blindsided everyone involved). It's a business and I'm sure by now he understands it. If we make a move that improves the team, that's what needs to be done. Nuge has made a ton of money being employed here, I would argue he's made alot more than most teams would have payed him. He'll be just fine also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad