Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Doesn't change point about better to set bar lower and be pleasantly surprised than set the bar high and be disappointed.

Still - we are talking potential here - not expectation for somewhere in the mushy middle, if he disappoints, if he continues to play too much fortnight, if he puts on 60 lbs of fat, if he develops a taste for recreational chemistry. What is his maximum potential?

Reactions: probablywrongbut

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Buff, Wheeler, Little will continue to get a year older no matter what. Trouba situation will remain the same no matter what. None of these things are impacted by trading for Stone as a rental.

On the other hand, imagine if the Jets trade 1st + KV for Stone then get knocked out in 2nd or 3rd round and fail to win the cup – Stone moves on to another team as UFA, Buff, Little, Wheeler still continue to get older, we still have to move Trouba for futures, we now have no KV to slot into the lineup or be trade bait for a player that can help us in the medium-long term, we have no 1st round pick to draft a cost efficient player or to serve as trade bait for a player that can help us now.

That scenario is far more terrifying and harder to dig your way out of then if Chevy were just to stand pat, miss out on the cup but still have his top assets.
And what if we go on a cup run and re-sign Stone at a fair contract. Just the opposite of your worst case.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Hey! Devils fan here. Watched some Jets games this year and I love the play of Brandon Tanev. Do you guys anticipate re-signing him? I think he’d be awesome on the Devils. Would love to grab him in free agency. What kind of contract do you think he would get from the Jets or another team is he goes to UFA.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Hey! Devils fan here. Watched some Jets games this year and I love the play of Brandon Tanev. Do you guys anticipate re-signing him? I think he’d be awesome on the Devils. Would love to grab him in free agency. What kind of contract do you think he would get from the Jets or another team is he goes to UFA.

We'll probably be in a cap crunch this off-season. And as much as I would love to have Tanev re-sign with us, I doubt we'd have room. I could see him getting somewhere in the 2-3 million per season.

I'm not the most knowledgeable around here, so if someone else gives you another figure, they're probably more correct than I :laugh:

Reactions: Bet the Over

Runforthecup

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay
Question. Think outside the box. Who would you rather have? Both great two way players. Stone(26) at $9.0+(?) for 7(?) more years. or Toews(30) at $10.5 for 4 more years. One of these guys we might have to give up a lot for. the other much less because of the contract.

Reactions: Jetsetter

nags

Sep 27, 2006
Its rumoured by several insiders that Stone wants a bonus laden contract from the Sens. Not sure if TNSE would set precedent with lockout/buyout proof contracts. I'm sure they were in agreement on the numbers to re sign Ladd but would not give him the structure he wanted. These are contracts for deep-pocketed big markets. Not sure TNSE would walk down that path.

So the richest owner in the NHL does not have deep pockets?

Sorry, they simply don't want to give up what Ottawa wants in return and I'm fine with us sitting this one out.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
So the richest owner in the NHL does not have deep pockets ?

Sorry, they simply don't want to give up what Ottawa wants in return and I'm fine with us sitting this one out.

Who are you suggesting the richest owner in the NHL is ?? are you inferring it's TNSE ??

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
So the richest owner in the NHL does not have deep pockets?

David Thomson does not put his personal wealth into player salaries especially ans estimated $9 million signing bonus for a lockout season. This franchise is designed to be self-sufficient. At such time TNSE is calling on Thomson for cash calls the Jets are as good as gone.

I'm fine not paying the ask, but Thomson and Chipman have made it quite clear how this franchise operates.

Reactions: GNP

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
David Thomson does not put his personal wealth into player salaries especially ans estimated $9 million signing bonus for a lockout season. This franchise is designed to be self-sufficient. At such time TNSE is calling on Thomson for cash calls the Jets are as good as gone.

I'm fine not paying the ask, but Thomson and Chipman have made it quite clear how this franchise operates.
they might have a change of heart if they feel we can go deep in the playoffs each year

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Very good post here Blues 10 -- and really David Thomson doesn't own that big a stake in the Jets. I don't even think he owns 5% if I can remember correctly, and he certainly is not going to throw loose money around to guarantee contract salaries for anyone.

I think he owns ( or his holding company does) a good part of the MTS center, but not much of the Jet's Hockey club-TNSE.

The richest owners will probably be in New York, or one of the big markets.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
IMO way too much is speculated into the detriment of signing bonuses. Of course TNSE would like to avoid them, but I don't think they are scared of them. The only real impact is in case of a lockout, and 1 big one on the books won't be a game changer, especially since it is very unlikely we lose a whole season.

Reactions: GNP

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Boy if you like what you saw tonight, I think the simplest trade is Eric Staal for a conditonal 1st, that becomes a 2nd if we don't win the conference, and a b prospect (Gustafsson?).

Roslovic does not look like the answer in the 4C spot. Perreault-Staal-Appleton as the 4th line, with Rosie and Lemieux in reserve. Staal as the net front guy on the 1st PP. Take Perreault off the 2nd. For Connor.

I'm happy without selling the farm.

Willing to bet Stone goes to Vegas after tonight.

Reactions: FiveHoled

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Thomson and Chipman have made it quite clear how this franchise operates.
Why would you think there is a cash call? Every single year they have had a healthy income from operations, while there as been a substantial increase in salary demands.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Very good post here Blues 10 -- and really David Thomson doesn't own that big a stake in the Jets. I don't even think he owns 5% if I can remember correctly, and he certainly is not going to throw loose money around to guarantee contract salaries for anyone.

I think he owns ( or his holding company does) a good part of the MTS center, but not much of the Jet's Hockey club-TNSE.

The richest owners will probably be in New York, or one of the big markets.
He owns 1/2 this has been stated many times over.

Reactions: Jets 31

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Boy if you like what you saw tonight, I think the simplest trade is Eric Staal for a conditonal 1st, that becomes a 2nd if we don't win the conference, and a b prospect (Gustafsson?).

Roslovic does not look like the answer in the 4C spot. Perreault-Staal-Appleton as the 4th line, with Rosie and Lemieux in reserve. Staal as the net front guy on the 1st PP. Take Perreault off the 2nd. For Connor.

I'm happy without selling the farm.

Willing to bet Stone goes to Vegas after tonight.
I'd rather go Roslovic Hayes Appleton with Perrault in the pb.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Pretty sure Chipman-Thomson are 50-50 owners in TNSE.

No, I don't think your right here --Thomson's holding company may hold a 50 % ownership piece of the Bell MTS Center, but not of TNSE. I don't think he would own anymore than 5-10 %. I could be wrong, but I just read quite a bit on this about a month ago. The reason why Thomson got involved was that he owned the Bell Mts Center, and Mark Chipman called him to buy it, and instead they became partners.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
He owns 1/2 this has been stated many times over.

I believe 50 % of the Bell MTS Center --"the real estate" but not a 50% ownership in TNSE, that owns the Jets. I'm pretty sure I'm right here, if my memory is correct. Thomson owns very little of TNSE.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I believe 50 % of the Bell MTS Center --"the real estate" but not a 50% ownership in TNSE, that owns the Jets. I'm pretty sure I'm right here, if my memory is correct. Thomson owns very little of TNSE.
I'm pretty sure it is a 50/50 in TNSE for all parts.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'm pretty sure it is a 50/50 in TNSE for all parts.

I don't think so Bogo -- if my memory serves me correctly, but I'll do a little research on this in the future, and double check. I could be wrong.

I do know that Thomson's holding company owns 50 % of the Bell Center -- but I think TNSE, is a little different. I'll check though, just to make sure.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
For what it’s worth, whenever TNSE’s deep pockets are referred to David Thompson comes up -- kinda weird to do that if he owns only a small share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad